MacInsiders Logo

Do i need to buy the textbook for Psych 1XX3 cuz im hearing its not useful and ur not

Old 01-17-2013 at 06:30 PM   #1
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Do i need to buy the textbook for Psych 1XX3 cuz im hearing its not useful and ur not
So yeah do i need to or should i buy the psych 1xx3 textbook? because im hearing its not important as we dont get tested from it on the quizzes nor on the final exam. So does that mean the quizzes are only based on the web modules? if not then what else are they based on? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013 at 06:56 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I didn't end up buying the handbook when I took the course. It's mostly just a collection of the lecture slides with a summary page and "web" for all of the relevant concepts.
Old 01-17-2013 at 08:06 PM   #3
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Don't buy it, no specific questions came from it like in Psych 1X03. I did skim over it and all the material in the textbook overlapped with the modules, there was no difference b/w the two. Make sure you get the handbook though, I found that to be useful.
Old 01-17-2013 at 09:10 PM   #4
lalalola2011

Last semester when i was taking Psych 1X03 they did ask Questions specifically from the book which could made a diference between getting a 7/8 or 10

Marooner likes this.
Old 01-17-2013 at 09:13 PM   #5
Swampis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Last semester when i was taking Psych 1X03 they did ask Questions specifically from the book which could made a diference between getting a 7/8 or 10
No, I meant to say that unlike in Psych 1X03 where there were textbook specific questions, that is not the case in Psych 1XX3.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Swampis for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 01-17-2013 at 10:07 PM   #6
lalalola2011

YAY lol okay thanks!
Old 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM   #7
lalalola2011

Do i even need the handbook either? Lol cuz isnt it basically just a overview of the lectures?
Old 01-18-2013 at 11:14 AM   #8
chianga

Liked: 1 Time

I didn't buy the handbook or textbook and I was able to do fine. That was just my own experience though
Old 01-18-2013 at 12:22 PM   #9
lalalola2011

Howd u do in the course? if u dont mind me asking. Becuz i didnt use the handbook AT ALL last sem :/
Old 01-18-2013 at 02:26 PM   #10
Swampis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Howd u do in the course? if u dont mind me asking. Becuz i didnt use the handbook AT ALL last sem :/
I would recommend getting the handbook, the short quizzes at the end of chapter were very similar to the questions on the exam and the flow charts summarized each chapter really well.
Old 01-18-2013 at 02:38 PM   #11
lalalola2011

True i just have to use it properly which i didnt with Psych 1x03
Old 01-20-2013 at 05:46 PM   #12
radishcal

Liked: 0 Times

Its based on your learning style, but from my experience in 1X03 and friends I've talked to in upper years the handbook (outlines slide information, has practice learning questions/summary charts and glossary) is a useful tool to help you follow the web module content. However, notes can just as easily be made on regular paper or on your computer and saves $40. I personally find that I enjoy using the handbook as it lays out the information nicely, but once again it is up to you! For the textbook, last term in 1X03 I had a lot of friends that never did the readings and still earned decent marks. It is true that the readings seem redundant as they often go over the module content again but in my experience I have encountered many questions in weekly quizzes that are based solely on the textbook content (such as the first 1XX3 quiz last Friday!) If you find reading the studies and information pieced together by Dr. Kim helpful for solidifying your understanding of the material then purchase the textbook. Good luck!
TL;DR Usefulness of courseware depends on your learning style, funds, and ability to keep up with readings.