MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone currently watching Highschool of the dead? xxsumz Anime & Comic Books 4 09-12-2010 11:31 AM
Workload in university vs highschool sinthusized First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-13-2008 04:07 PM

Do I need to take Highschool Physics for McMaster?

Old 12-06-2009 at 09:25 AM   #1
Sajee26

Liked: 0 Times

Do I need to take Highschool Physics for McMaster?
Hey guys!

I'm a High school student wondering whether or not I need to take physics in High school. I want to enroll in life science/health science program at McMaster and I was wondering whether or not it is required or recommended.
The thing is I really don't like physics, so If it turns out that I don't need it I will not take it in grade 11/12.

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 12-06-2009 at 09:31 AM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

For the Bachelor of Health Sciences program admission requirements, look here:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1267.html

The high school courses you need...

"The following are the minimum Grade 12 U and/or M requirements under the Ontario Secondary School curriculum:
  1. English U;
  2. Biology U;
  3. Chemistry U;
  4. one of Advanced Functions U, Calculus and Vectors U or Mathematics of Data Management U. For those applicants who present with more than one of these Mathematics courses, the highest grade on the transcript at the time of review will be used to calculate the admission average;
  5. One U or M course from Social Sciences (Geography, History, Law, Psychology, Sociology) or Humanities (Art, Drama, English, French, Music, other languages);
  6. One additional U or M course in any other subject area to total six courses.
Note: Courses in technological education, science or mathematics are not acceptable as the Social Sciences or Humanities course requirement."

For Honours Life Sciences (4 years), you will need Physics... Since some of the courses you need to take in this program has a prerequisite for Physics U. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html

Let me know if you need help navigating through the information on the pages themselves, it can be confusing.
Old 12-06-2009 at 09:31 AM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

You don't need physics for Health Science.

You don't need physics to be admitted to Life Science, but you DO need to take a physics course in Life Science I, so it might be beneficial to take physics in high school to get a jump on it.
Old 12-06-2009 at 09:35 AM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

For Honours Life Sciences (4 years), you will need Physics... Since some of the courses you need to take in this program has a prerequisite for Physics U. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html
This requirement is fulfilled by taking at least 1L03 in first year. In Life Science I, you need credit in either 1B03 or 1L03 to move on to LS II. Therefore, physics in high school is not mandatory, but recommended.
Old 12-06-2009 at 10:58 AM   #5
Sajee26

Thanks guys!
What since I need it after a few years, what do you guys think about taking Physics in the summer?
Old 12-06-2009 at 11:46 AM   #6
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Do you want to take Physics in the summer for highschool or when you get to university?
Old 12-06-2009 at 12:25 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I would highly recommend you take highschool physics, even if you don't like it. It opens a lot of doors if you do decide to change your mind when applying to university, and plus, it's always good to know the kinematic equations. :p
Old 12-06-2009 at 01:52 PM   #8
Sajee26

I was thinking about taking highschool physics in the summer
Old 12-06-2009 at 02:41 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

"The thing is I really don't like physics"

LOL, how do you make this conclusion? You've never ever taken physics.

Give it a shot while you're still in high school. In university, you have to pay $ while it's all free in high school. GL.
Old 12-06-2009 at 02:50 PM   #10
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Yeah, I would do high school physics before coming to Mac. Even if you don't like it (I didn't either ), you'll be more prepared for the physics you have to do in university (if you go into LS).

Physics was my least favourite science in grade 10, but it was my highest grade 11 science mark, and one of my favourite classes. (Different story for Grade 12 Physics though, lol).
Old 12-06-2009 at 03:22 PM   #11
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I would take it in high school so you don't have to worry about taking that 1L03 course which, I think, did a crappy job of preparing students for 1B03, which you might need depending on which programs you're interested in.
Old 12-06-2009 at 04:21 PM   #12
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

I'm not sure how summer school high school physics is, I suppose it depends on your teacher. I would suggest taking it during the year. That way you'll probably know more people in your class and be able to ask for help from more people.

High school physics is free, so you'd be using the $500 for Physics 1L03 to go to a course you may enjoy more. Also, if you have to take Physics 1B03 anyways (you had to take both physics in university if you hadn't taken the grade 12 physics), I think high school physics prepares you MUCH better for it than Physics 1L03 (that's because my highschool teacher prepared me really well for it that most of 1B03 was review).
Old 12-06-2009 at 07:55 PM   #13
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I deffinatley think taking highschool physics is a good idea. First of all its free, and even if you don't do as well you can take physics 1ls3 (and feel like a genius) or take the 1B03 physics which is required for some programs like biochem and molecular bio (although for some bio programs you can take the life sci physics instead)
good luck
Old 12-06-2009 at 08:16 PM   #14
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I would recommend taking it in high school. I hated physics in grade, but it became one of my fav courses (though still one of my hardest lol). Its also really useful in general if you're going into science. I found certain units of Chem much easier to graso thanks to physics. I would suggest at least trying it in grade 11.