MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online Courses Snowman Academics 14 05-30-2012 07:15 PM
how does a PC (or online) class work SJ1993 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-06-2011 11:03 PM
Online Courses?! ingénieur.xo Academics 14 01-19-2009 12:18 AM

How do online courses work at Mac?

Old 12-10-2014 at 07:46 PM   #1
unknownfish

Liked: 0 Times

How do online courses work at Mac?
I want to take History 1DD3 in term 2. The day one is a time that doesn't work for me. The evening one says that it's online.
How do online courses work? Is it entirely online? Do I have to go on it at certain times? Can I just sign up for it on solar or do I have to talk to someone first? Thank you
Old 12-16-2014 at 01:10 PM   #2
Songstress~

Liked: 0 Times

Hello~

1) You can sign up for an online course on SOLAR, it's just like signing up for any other course.
2) How it works is every week your Prof will post a lecture(s) online on Avenue and you can access them at anytime. Night, morning, afternoon, anytime! Which is awesome and you can replay the lectures as many times as you want.
3) The only time you would have to go to school in person for this class would either be if you have tutorial or your Prof will tell you if the class meets up on certain days. I took 1DD3 last and even though it wasn't an online course we didn't have tutorials so I'm guess this year you won't have them either-double check the course outline though.

Hope this helps!

unknownfish says thanks to Songstress~ for this post.
Old 12-16-2014 at 02:50 PM   #3
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

I am also thinking of taking the course so I e-mailed the prof. to ask about the difference between the online and in-class sections:

Quote:
the content is identical, just the delivery is different.

The online course is being delivered through Avenue - using video slidecasts mostly. The assignments and evaluation will be exactly the same. There are online forum discussions in both sections rather than tutorials. No person to person meetings in the online section. The only time you have to physically be anywhere for the online section is for the final exam.

unknownfish says thanks to Brendan for this post.