MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is 3rd year Enviro Sci course or 3rd year psych courses easier? lovekblue Academics 2 02-28-2013 09:12 AM
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

What To Do Second Year?

Old 01-13-2014 at 01:17 PM   #1
maynejk

Liked: 0 Times

What To Do Second Year?
Hey, i'm a little confused..im in first year life sci, and debating dropping physics 1b03 and taking it next year...THe reason being, i know that it will pull my average down and ill have no chance in making the cut to specialize for cell bio and genetics program, is this a good idea?
Whats the outcome/difference in specializing into cell bio or staying in life sci? Where will each take you? Is one harder than the other? HELP
ALSO say if i got into cell bio 2nd year, my grades werent so hot..could i apply for honours life sci again?
Old 01-13-2014 at 02:01 PM   #2
BilluBarber
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

take it in summer school
Old 01-13-2014 at 02:02 PM   #3
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

Billu knowwsss
Old 01-13-2014 at 02:11 PM   #4
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Correct.
Old 01-15-2014 at 12:29 AM   #5
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

alright so a) definitely drop physics 2b03 if you want to get into your specialized program. b) honours life sci is the basic degree (you need a 6 average to get into it) while the cell bio and genetics program average to get in would be quite a bit higher to get into. so keep your grades up! Honours Life Sci is nice because you can choose all the courses you WANT to take from a variety of classes (from all specialized areas of sciences and maths) while with the more specialized classes you will have less electives and little to no choices of courses. Therefore it can be assumed that 2nd year honours life sci would be much easier because you get to take interesting courses with alot more freedom than the structured, content-heavy parts of specialized. There are both advantages and disadvantages to both options. if you want to get into a specific grad school or med school that require high GPAs...stick with honours life sciences because it is more general and you can keep your marks up.. If the specialization will get you more prepared for the workplace/get you into a graduate school, etc, than go with that!Also as for the cell bio question.. if you fail out of cell bio, as long as your mark was still above a 6 then you would automatically be moved down to just Honours Life Sciences. If you don't you should be able to reapply but if you arent doing well after first semester of your specialized year... just switch back to honours life sci so that you are on track
Old 01-15-2014 at 01:42 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

avg needed for mol bio and genetics program is low since almost no one goes in it. my friend had a 6.5-7ish 2 years ago and got in it. he was rejected at first but they let him in a few days later since not enough people went into it.