MacInsiders Logo

Do you believe in abortion?

Old 02-02-2013 at 09:56 PM   #1
denaki

Liked: 0 Times

Do you believe in abortion?
Do you think a woman should have the right to abort or do you think it should be illegal?
Old 02-02-2013 at 10:05 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

oh boi!

is this ur HW/assignment question?

personally it should be illegal. Preserve life.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 02-02-2013 at 10:07 PM   #3
PhilM

Liked: 148 Times

Old 02-02-2013 at 10:09 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

The Rose Elf Is Stabb-ed
The Rose Goblin Vacuumed O.u.t Out!

When I Look At My Thighs I See Death
It Is Great/rad
I Love Abortion!
You Are Too Good For This Life!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-02-2013 at 10:23 PM   #5
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Honestly, whether your pro or against, it doesn't matter. It's a person's right to do what they want with their own body.

Biologically, the debate on what qualifies as life is never ending...you can consider it unethical but whether its legal or not, I'm sure someone that wants an abortion will get one.

Old 02-02-2013 at 10:36 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

This is an issue I've flip flopped over for so long. I used to be hardcore pro-choice, then sort of drifted to on the fence, then I met (and became friends with) someone whose mother got an abortion and it failed, and then she wanted to get another one but was prevented from doing so, and so my friend ended up being born. That sort of pushed me to pro-life. And then I bounced back and forth a lot since, and I think I've settled on thinking that abortions are horrible, but it's not for me to decide for other people or judge other people for making those decisions. It's an awful decision to make, and I don't envy people who are put in that situation. So, I am pro-choice in the most literal sense of the word.

As a side note, I did read an article about an increasing rate of perfectly capable parents choosing to abort their third child just because they didn't want their lifestyle (which involved family vacations, dining out, etc) to change, and many of them were perfectly content with that decision. It really doesn't sit well with me that they really couldn't care less, that it's so inconsequential to them, what they did. I believe they should have that right, but that doesn't mean I agree with the way they exercise it (sort of like how just because you have the right to say something through freedom of speech, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to say it).

*spark*, Kudos like this.
Old 02-02-2013 at 11:43 PM   #7
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

This is more a question of freedom rather than the scientific/moral debate on what constitutes human life, since we're talking about whether the act of abortion should be allowed, and not whether abortion itself is good or bad.

In my opinion, the pro-choice vs. pro-life stance is a false dichotomy: Pro-choice people are not anti-life, they don't want every pregnant woman to get an abortion, whereas pro-life people want no pregnant woman to have the choice to get an abortion. People have different opinions about whether abortion is good or bad, and context (financial/family siuation, age etc.) is really important, so I think women should be able to decide what is best for them and what is consistent with their morals.

sarahsullz says thanks to rkb12 for this post.

Old 02-03-2013 at 12:04 AM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
oh boi!

is this ur HW/assignment question?

personally it should be illegal. Preserve life.
The problem I have with this logic is that you are pushing your personal beliefs on others. If it's not something that you feel is appropriate for whatever reason, no doubt its a religious one, then do not participate. Who are you to say other's cannot do something because YOU believe it is wrong?

sarahsullz says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

Old 02-03-2013 at 01:00 AM   #9
jupiter

Liked: 10 Times

I think its the woman's choice if she wants to keep her baby or not. Why should anyone else make that decision for her? She knows whats best for herself. That being said, I'm a little more skeptical of very late term abortions (like >7 months), as the many babies could already survive outside the womb, and thus to me, it's eerily similar to infanticide.
On a side note, how can you not believe in abortion? It's not an article of faith as it is something which is real and can be observed happening. You should rephrase the question as "Do you believe abortion is wrong?" (unless you are actually asking if i believe that abortion happens....)

Amaryll, starfish like this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 01:09 AM   #10
Jesse.C
Account Locked

Liked: 30 Times

are you pregnant?

enarab, Zebedee like this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 07:32 AM   #11
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

As someone who has actually been pregnant twice, had a miscarriage and a healthy baby, I am strongly pro-choice. Pregnancy is not necessarily a beautiful, easy thing to do in every case and nobody should be forced to go through potentially life threatening situations (I ended up having emergency surgery when my son was six weeks old thanks to complications from the pregnancy). I also strongly believe that someone who doesn't want a child probably shouldn't have one - it takes A LOT of time, dedication, and patience to raise a child well. How is it in any way fair to an unwanted child to be raised by someone who is unable or unwilling to properly care for them? How is it fair to throw that child into the uncertainty of the foster care system?
As far as preserving a certain lifestyle goes - I only want one child, and we've made pretty sure that is what is going to happen. But without removing all my reproductive organs there's no way to be 100% and I'm not willing to do that! So if I were to get pregnant again I would consider an abortion. Because I want to be able to give my son every opportunity I can - going to university, traveling, and most importantly as much of my time as possible - and having more children would take that away from him.

Old 02-03-2013 at 09:14 AM   #12
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Things you learn in this video:

People who preform abortions are morally corrupt and only in it for the money
Strawberries make you fat
Brandy should be served in a tea pot

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

chrisA likes this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 11:48 AM   #13
valvido

Liked: 1 Time

I'm super pro-choice.

Pro-choice, so its her body and she can do whatever she want.

Super pro-choice because the man should have a say in it too. Why is it okay for her to abort because if her family found out... XXX and disregard the fact that I want to keep it? Or vice-versa.
Old 02-03-2013 at 12:45 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I'm pro-choice up to a point because I don't think a fetus constitutes being a 'person' until it has developed a working brain to some degree (a.k.a. consciousness). Up to that point, it's just a glorified plant. Even if there is such thing as a soul, I feel like you probably don't get one until you have developed adequate means to house it.

We don't need anymore children raised by people who would make shitty parents in this world. They shouldn't have to have the burden of raising a kid just to please someone else.

ashleighp, sarahsullz like this.
Old 02-03-2013 at 01:10 PM   #15
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Abortion is a non-issue. If you step back and look at the big picture, humans are way over-populated, and are continually destroying the planet and driving other species to extinction. That will be true whether abortion is legal or illegal.

Humans are the biggest hypocrites. We have no problem killing mass numbers of other species when we recognize they are overpopulated or carry contagious diseases, but don't apply this logic to ourselves.

mac_5555 likes this.