MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Feb 05 : Aliens Kidnapped Betty Chad Daily Game 0 02-05-2011 04:35 AM

Do you believe in aliens?

Old 05-25-2011 at 11:46 PM   #1
wanna b eng.

Liked: 1 Time

Do you believe in aliens?
http://www.worldstarhiphop.c om/vid...W 66j0ci9k3D7

Thoughts?

J. Dorey likes this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 11:51 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

"UFO sightings are escallating at a phenomenal rate..."

Yeah, because of increased access to communication, and increased population, which yields a spread of information that otherwise would have been unreported.

No, I do not, even in the slightest.

I lack the atmospheric vocabulary to explain most of those 'sightings', I haven't studied out of my discipline in years, lol. :(

edit: I don't 'believe', in the sense where people are inferring that these objects are extraterrestrial visitors.

Equinox likes this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 11:56 PM   #3
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I believe in life on other planets.
I do not believe that aliens have ever, or will ever visit this planet. Especially in flying round discs that - dispite being technologically advanced to get them here - are not so advanced as to avoid detection.

Old 05-25-2011 at 11:59 PM   #4
dlee

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I want to believe in aliens or ghosts because then we'd know that the world is more interesting than we think.
Old 05-26-2011 at 12:08 AM   #5
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Boy these aliens sure have a lot of different kinds of starships -__- Unless we're being visited by multiple species..

I bet it's just some viral marketing thing...

I read an article or something recently talking about how you would expect that Alie sightings would go up with the rise of handheld technology, but statistically that hasn't happened.

In general I think there's definitely life somewhere else...but I highly doubt they're coming over here to just hover in the sky.

Old 05-26-2011 at 12:12 AM   #6
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

given how massive the universe is, it seems that there must be ET life, as for whether it has visited this planet...

Old 05-26-2011 at 12:16 AM   #7
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I don't necessarily believe in aliens, but I believe in the idea that "we are not alone in the universe" (cliche, I know) and the concept that our eyes may not be advanced enough to see everything in front of us (like the extra dimensional being mentioned in the phone call). I do not agree with the typical portrayal of aliens, specifically the flying space craft idea that is so amazing that it is able to enter our planet with no repercussions, yet constantly gets detected by people on cameras and by the naked eye. I think those theories are way overblown. As for Area 51, yeah, some messed up stuff is going on there, but I don't belief in the alien autopsy theories and stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they were dabbling into new forms of weapons (i.e. new forms of energy weapons) or scientific strategies (e.g. weather manipulation and control - I'm not crazy, it is actually happening), but as for alien lifeform and/or technology being present there.. no, I don't buy into that.

jennyjenn555 likes this.
Old 05-26-2011 at 12:17 AM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I think considering the size of the universe, even the long odds of life aren't too bad. If it does exist somewhere, it probably wouldn't even be considered life by Earth standards - some Si based bacteria or something crazy like that.

[You guys remember that Trek episode where the mind meld was first used (first time ever!), and they found a Si based alien in a mine? They had this problem - SI based life, didn't register until Spock figured it out...]
Old 05-26-2011 at 03:15 AM   #9
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

I think it is selfish to assume that we have this entire universe to ourselves.

There has to be something, even if it's just primordial soup. Aliens do not necessarily have to be little green men.
Old 05-26-2011 at 03:55 AM   #10
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I don't know. I saw this documentary that strongly advocated the presence of aliens with reference to the Egyptian and Aztec civilizations - how those people didn't have enough tools to design the pyramids, and even in the heiroglyphs, the 'gods' are supposedly the aliens.

I wonder where the idea of alien originated from, anyway. I mean, if we hadn't ever heard of the possibility of their being someone else out there, would we actually think about it?
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:21 AM   #11
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I don't know. I saw this documentary that strongly advocated the presence of aliens with reference to the Egyptian and Aztec civilizations - how those people didn't have enough tools to design the pyramids, and even in the heiroglyphs, the 'gods' are supposedly the aliens.

I wonder where the idea of alien originated from, anyway. I mean, if we hadn't ever heard of the possibility of their being someone else out there, would we actually think about it?
I've noticed you post quite late.

I can never sleep so I just end up staying awake. What's your excuse?

Faer likes this.
Old 05-26-2011 at 04:50 AM   #12
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
I've noticed you post quite late.

I can never sleep so I just end up staying awake. What's your excuse?

I'm not in Canada anymore! Home for the summer, oh yeah.

Good enough?

EDIT: The best thing about MI is, it's active all around the clock.

Last edited by Faer : 05-26-2011 at 04:53 AM.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 05-26-2011 at 05:34 AM   #13
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post

I'm not in Canada anymore! Home for the summer, oh yeah.

Good enough?

EDIT: The best thing about MI is, it's active all around the clock.
Much better reason than me.

I'd better go to sleep, enjoy your summer!

Faer likes this.
Old 05-26-2011 at 06:27 AM   #14
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Much better reason than me.

I'd better go to sleep, enjoy your summer!
Haha, isn't it?

Last edited by Faer : 05-26-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2011 at 07:35 AM   #15
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I think of it like this:

Carl Sagan once said that the number of stars in the universe far outnumber the amount of grains of sand on our planet's beaches. It is highly likely that many of these stars have some kind of planetary system. If you were to tell me that there is nothing out there like us, I would think you were being ridiculous... or religious.

On the topic of UFO sightings, I find it highly unlikely that we would ever detect a foreign species capable of travelling trillions and trillions of miles. Not that we're that interesting to observe anyways... Have we been visited? Perhaps, but it would definitely have been in the same way we can try to communicate with a bird or a chicken, and to them, it doesn't even seem like we're there at all.

Yay for the universe. Spock is out there somewhere.