MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bus stop number? murgling Automotive & Transportation 3 03-06-2011 10:39 AM
Stop getting it on is the MUSC Rossclot General Discussion 73 04-10-2010 04:41 PM
videos to watch while procrastinating... lorend General Discussion 6 01-10-2008 08:06 AM
Bus Stop redex General Discussion 4 10-09-2007 11:46 PM

how do you stop procrastinating?

Old 12-03-2012 at 03:25 PM   #16
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

if you are using chrome search up "stayfocusd" on the chrome store. It allows you to block sites so that you can only spend an X amount of time on them per day. the good thing bout it is that if you set a 30min time limit for the blocked sites (facebook, youtube, MI, etc.) that means that colectively you can spend 30 min on all those sites , not 30 min each. and you can adjust the time limit too.

also when making a schedule.... don't restrict your self by putting in timings eg. 2pm do this 4 pm do that.... instead make a list.... thing A, thing B, thing C.... and note down how much time you will allocate to each thing. I feel this was is just a lot better and more flexible, as you rarely start something or end something on time.

Desda likes this.
Old 12-13-2012 at 09:12 AM   #17
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Go to your favorite library. (Health Science Lib to me)
Old 12-13-2012 at 03:57 PM   #18
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Organize your work. Lay out every single thing you need to study for your exam, and split it up and assign each chunk for each day. This way if you don't do your work, you can visually see the backclog you're creating because you now need to re-assign your work to make up for lost time.

MalK likes this.
Old 12-13-2012 at 04:13 PM   #19
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

To stop procrastinating: I chose a program that I enjoyed. I work throughout the term because it interests me, and then at exams, I study because the topic intrigues me, and when I do appear to procrastinate, I've determined it's because my conscious has decided I am prepared...

The person who procrastinates studying all of their work is the person who isn't studying something they're passionate about... Hence why there's so many unhappy people procrastinating...

MalK, PhilM, RyanC, Swampis like this.
Old 12-13-2012 at 11:35 PM   #20
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

I'm an abysmal procrastinator when I don't want to do something and various reasons will likely compel me to put it on the backburner or outright not do it. Many systems (ex. rewards, guilt, groups, etc) never work on me. However, I find that these mental tricks help me do *most* things I don't want to do:

1) if you're a more of the pleasure-seeking kind and find that work for the sake of work just doesn't cut it, giving yourself a reason that you'd naturally find more appealing and turning it into something you'd enjoy more might be more incentive to do it and focus. So mentally make a "game"or a "hobby" out of your chore (or take as many courses you enjoy as possible in the first place).
2) slowly pretend you're in jail. In jail, time becomes of pretty much no essence. So if you know you have x amount of time to do a task, you'll get it done in x time. If you know you can do it in less, great, you'll do it in less. You'll be more focused on being in the moment of doing.
3) or, make your task a challenge of sorts to yourself to pit against, especially if there's the element of risk. The stress stemming from your risk might motivate you to put yourself in overdrive mode if you need it, and you just might get some odd sense of enjoyment from it. Just don't be too careless though, and keep it to relatively small doses.

... These are naturally my methods, but as said before, it's different for everyone. Self-awareness helps with finding what naturally works for you. And just for the record, I'm procrastinating right now and not doing anything about it.

Last edited by XNtrikster : 12-13-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: been procrastinating for a week
Old 12-19-2012 at 02:29 AM   #21
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Take nootropics and open a book.
Old 12-22-2012 at 11:59 AM   #22
MPEn

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Ah, I'm a procrastinator myself (but then again, most of us are aha).. for me... I tell myself that since I'm paying for school... I HAVE to do my work. Or else I'd turn off the wifi and my electronics to force myself to do my work.