What do you think happens when we die?

Old 02-04-2011 at 05:08 PM   #31
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
This reminds me of something I once heard:

An old woman lived by herself in a house in a village. News had spread that a flood was coming and everyone should evacuate. A neighbour came to the woman's house and offered to drive her out of town. She refused to leave, saying, "God will take care of me". So, the flood came and the woman was eventually forced to the second floor of her house, as the water level rose. A neighbour came by in a boat and offered to take the woman to safety. Once again, she refused to leave, saying, "God will take care of me". The water level kept rising, and eventually the woman had to go up onto her roof to avoid it. A rescue team came in a helicopter and threw down a rope ladder, telling the woman to come aboard. The woman still refused to go, saying, "God will take care of me". The helicopter left without her, but the water level continued to rise, and the woman had nowhere higher up to go, so she drowned. When she got to heaven, she was angry with God, and asked him, "why didn't you take care of me?" And he said, "I tried...what do you think the car, the boat and the helicopter were for?"
Haha, you lost me at the part when "she got to heaven"!

But I accept the possibility that some events could be much more than a coincidence. In this case, the car and the helicopter that came to help the woman. In real life this could be something like meeting people that profoundly affect your life, I think it could more than a simple hit and miss sort of relationship.
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:10 PM   #32
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
This is not an easy thing to talk about but what do you personally believe about afterlife? Is there such a thing or is it simply "nothingness"?

Is it fair to assume that atheist believe that there is no form of existence after death while religious people believe that there is some form of life awaiting for us after death. I’m interested to hear what our generation think. Is there any atheist here who believes differently from conventional atheism? Is anyone facing existential crisis?

As for myself, I'm an agnostic. I would like to believe that we retain some form of conscieness when we die but I find this hard to believe from a materialistic point of a view. I find the bible to be too human-centered (god created men in the image of himself, animals don’t go to heaven, etc) and also too faith-based.

Feel free to share.

this all relates to religion

if u are jewish/christian/muslim u either go to hell or haven
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:10 PM   #33
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Haha, you lost me at the part when "she got to heaven"!

But I accept the possibility that some events could be much more than a coincidence. In this case, the car and the helicopter that came to help the woman. In real life this could be something like meeting people that profoundly affect your life, I think it could more than a simple hit and miss sort of relationship.
I don't believe in heaven or God either...but I still think the story says a lot.
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:25 PM   #34
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

The concept of there being an afterlife is twice as frightening as there being none at all. For me, anyway.

Even if it's all sunshine and roses, entirely personalized to your likes and interests, as some have alluded to, I still find the notion of immortality to be nightmarish.

Curious to see if anyone feels the same.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:28 PM   #35
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Reincarnation b!tche$
Old 02-04-2011 at 05:31 PM   #36
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
The concept of there being an afterlife is twice as frightening as there being none at all. For me, anyway.

Even if it's all sunshine and roses, entirely personalized to your likes and interests, as some have alluded to, I still find the notion of immortality to be nightmarish.

it would suck not being able to die, even if you wanted to
Old 02-04-2011 at 09:49 PM   #37
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Well has anyone thought to themselves Am I alive?

Mabye this reality is our afterlife from a previous life.

deep stuff I know....

On a more realistic thought, you become worm food.

Actually I like the saying we are all star dust. Who knows trillions of years in the future you could be the building blocks of aliens
Old 02-04-2011 at 10:39 PM   #38
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Anything that comes to life has to die eventually. Don't worry about death. After your death, you will be reborn again.

Don't waste time by thinking about death.

Keep doing your karma and be in the present. That's all that matters, really.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:42 PM   #39
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
Well has anyone thought to themselves Am I alive?

Mabye this reality is our afterlife from a previous life.
Well, if you define "life" as your recorded sense-history, it's pretty obvious that either the conventional view of 'alive' is in-effect or the solipsist one is

Old 02-05-2011 at 05:47 PM   #40
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

This is what happens to you when you die:

Grover, Mahratta like this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 05:53 PM   #41
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
but can we really be satisfied with something that we make up?
what i invent in my own head (ie. some idea of Heaven that includes Pokemon) has no relevance outside of my head...will it actually have any bearing on what actually happens?
i'm personally searching hard to find real answers that aren't my own invention...and i'm finding that actually studying the Bible with an open mind is pretty unsettling. very hard to think it was written by humans...it's unbelievably coherent and it makes a lot of questions like this (meaning of life, life after death) all make a lot of sense.
i've also looked into buddhism, baha'i, judaism, and i'm definitely learning a lot about islam but it's obvious that these religions are NOT compatible.
not trying to degrade the thread, but do other people look for answers elsewhere than their own imagination???
Just takes one mistake in any holy book to ignore it completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ohh, I just recently read this. So very true. Especially about the whole fate/destiny versus we decide our own future argument.

As for the OP. I am religious so I do believe in the afterlife and whatnot. I just can't imagine a life of nothingness after death.
But if there's nothingness, there is nothing, you aren't living...obviously you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it's scary because you wouldn't exist :/

I find the notion of eternal life very disturbing and without any purpose. If you're in Heaven and you can get everything you want in an instant, what's the use of the other bazillion years? Are you never satisfied in Heaven, then what's the use of Heaven? :/

There's got to be a course for this right?
Old 02-05-2011 at 06:30 PM   #42
dromias

Liked: 7 Times

I believe we get to become ghosts. Girl's gym lockers and secret pentagon meeting rooms... AWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-05-2011 at 06:47 PM   #43
e-kid

Liked: 0 Times

wrong question.
What you first must ask is, "Does God exist?" Not necessarily the God of the Bible, but a supernatural being. If so, then all else follows.
Old 02-05-2011 at 06:51 PM   #44
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post

do explain

<12 chars>
Old 02-05-2011 at 09:01 PM   #45
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromias View Post
I believe we get to become ghosts.
I'm putting Gengar on reserve

Afzal likes this.