MacInsiders Logo

What do you think happens when we die?

Old 02-06-2011 at 08:51 AM   #61
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noface View Post
Why is it so hard to believe in life after death? If god created us once why can't he do it again? I'm sure its not that hard if he's already done it before.
Because those who don't believe in life after death typically don't believe in God. Duh.

alh24 likes this.
Old 02-06-2011 at 09:00 AM   #62
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Well I've never seen a group of englsh or french that spoke chinese or korean.
This post makes no sense what so ever. Fail comeback
Old 02-06-2011 at 11:12 AM   #63
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Question: Being in Heaven would I assume includes being with your loved ones (whats the point otherwise)...but what if your loved one was bad and they went to hell?

It would diminish your `heaven` experience, so it wouldn`t actually be heaven..so would your loved one get a free pass
?

Just curious...I don`t know if I believe in either anyway..
That brings up another interesting point - if, like someone said earlier, heaven was based on what you wanted, does that mean everything in your heaven has nothing to do with anyone else's heaven? What if the 'people' you loved and were in heaven with you were manifestations (i.e., they aren't real, but super vivid imaginary friends)? And those people, their actual consciousness, can be in another type of heaven or hell or wherever they are?

If everyone were in the same heaven, there's bound to be people who don't like each other even within the same group of friends - so how does that work?

crazyfree likes this.
Old 02-06-2011
maclover
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 02-06-2011
Kendoon
Old 02-06-2011 at 03:13 PM   #64
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Your view is pessimistic, I don't think life is a burden...but yes, some do suffer more than others.
Well, can you confirm that you have never, in your life, felt that it would all be much better if you didn't have all these problems?

I see it as this: No life -> Life -> No life.

You start with no life and end with no life...Life is just a transition period between those two states. If you say life is a gift then I'll ask "gift from whom?" then it'll become all religious :p
Old 02-06-2011 at 03:27 PM   #65
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Well, can you confirm that you have never, in your life, felt that it would all be much better if you didn't have all these problems?

I see it as this: No life -> Life -> No life.

You start with no life and end with no life...Life is just a transition period between those two states. If you say life is a gift then I'll ask "gift from whom?" then it'll become all religious :p
A gift from the universe
Old 02-06-2011 at 03:45 PM   #66
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLB0T View Post
A gift from the universe
I believe!!!!
Old 02-06-2011 at 04:52 PM   #67
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Everything after the v= will work.
Old 02-06-2011 at 05:38 PM   #68
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Whoa, this thread slightly derailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
do explain

<12 chars>
Afzal has already done a great job explaining it. Thanks Afzal.

Moreover, there is this video. Accurately sums up my views.

EDIT: The title is misleading at first. I share my views with the video's creator, the narrator.

Last edited by Grover : 02-06-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Possible misconception amended.
Old 02-06-2011 at 05:57 PM   #69
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
Whoa, this thread slightly derailed.

Afzal has already done a great job explaining it. Thanks Afzal.

Moreover, there is this video. Accurately sums up my views.

I disagree completely with this view of Atheism.

I know many atheists who aren't pessimists, even I'm not a pessimist contrary to your view of me. It's just that I believe that life is without a "greater" purpose. Sure you can give everyone hope, change the world, discover new things, enjoy life as it is, but hoping that you'll be rewarded by a greater power for all good that you've done is pointless.

You live a prosperous life because you want to help people around you and, in the end, make yourself happy and satisfied with what you have achieved in life. Not because you want to go to a fantasized place called Heaven.

A pessimistic view of life is seeing it as completely useless. I don't view it as completely useless, otherwise I'd have committed suicide long ago. However being so optimistic as to believe that you'll still keep on living after death is just being too optimistic (well, from my POV anyway).

Last edited by Afzal : 02-06-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Old 02-06-2011 at 06:00 PM   #70
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

If anything, I'd say atheism has made me appreciate the time I have because I feel it's all the time I get. Yeah, it's really scary to think that at any moment it can end for me, but that's just how I see it. I respect that people have faith in something more, but I personally can't believe in something without any evidence to support it.

To each their own opinion, though.

Last edited by alh24 : 02-06-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2011
noface
Old 02-06-2011
RyanC