MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1BB3 ? SandraM Academics 0 12-17-2011 02:00 PM
Physics 1BB3 SciMania Academics 3 07-18-2010 08:41 PM
Physics 1bb3 bilalbagha Academics 0 01-08-2010 02:25 PM

Does Physics 1BB3 prepare you for the MCATS?

Old 06-06-2013 at 11:50 AM   #1
swagfordays

Liked: 0 Times

Does Physics 1BB3 prepare you for the MCATS?
Hi I'm going for 2nd year biochem with biomed specialization and i have one space open for an elective. I'm planning on writing the MCATS so I was wondering if I should use that space to take physics 1bb3.
For those who have written the MCATS...
1) how was the physics section? Did taking physics 1b03 prepare you well enough?
2) should i take physics 1bb3 to prepare for the MCATS?

PLease let me know!!
Thanks
Old 06-06-2013 at 01:11 PM   #2
daftypatty

I have the same question. Debating whether or not just 1B03 + MCAT prep will be sufficient without 1BB3 physics. Responses please!
Old 06-06-2013 at 01:16 PM   #3
sf

Liked: 36 Times

From what I have heard quite a few med schools require you to have a full year of physics+labs in order to be considered. So, you would need both 1B03 and 1BB3/1BA3 to fill that requirement. You may be able to do fine on the MCAT without 1BB3 but you might want to do some research and see if you actually need it for acceptance.
Old 06-06-2013 at 05:22 PM   #4
AESCheer

actually if you check the OMSAS website many schools no longer require specific courses in order to be accepted, actually there are only a handful that do (in ontario that is)
and also, the MCAT is changing in 2015 so I would look at that guide (if you were planning on writing it then) to see how many semesters of physics you should have.
Old 06-06-2013 at 06:57 PM   #5
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

http://www.oxfordseminars.ca /MCAT/mcat_profiles.php this website is great for knowing the admission requirements to all the schools and if you scroll down says the courses that are required. for the most part i dont think 1bb3 is necessary for the MCAT but it couldnt hurt. and when the MCAT changes keep in mind there is a whole section on Sociology so you'll have to take that course which is a full year course so consider taking it as your elective
Old 06-06-2013 at 07:20 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf View Post
From what I have heard quite a few med schools require you to have a full year of physics+labs in order to be considered. So, you would need both 1B03 and 1BB3/1BA3 to fill that requirement. You may be able to do fine on the MCAT without 1BB3 but you might want to do some research and see if you actually need it for acceptance.
The bunch that I applied to didn't require it.

The MCAT physics section was a joke. Most of the information that you needed was in the passages.

Old 06-06-2013 at 07:24 PM   #7
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
The bunch that I applied to didn't require it.

The MCAT physics section was a joke. Most of the information that you needed was in the passages.
I disagree, MCAT physics is definitely NOT a joke. If it was a joke, then why so few people get 13 or above?
Old 06-06-2013 at 07:32 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
I disagree, MCAT physics is definitely NOT a joke. If it was a joke, then why so few people get 13 or above?
It's curved so that a certain number of people fall under a certain distribution in all sections (X % of people get 13s). All the information that I required (equations, constants) was in the passages. Most people suck at logical reasoning/math so you tend to sit on the higher part of the curve if you're relatively competent and have decent logical reasoning.

I took sketchy grade 12 physics summer school and only 1B03 and did fine.

You don't need a fucking 13 to get into medical school. :|

Last edited by Lois : 06-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.