MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snow Day? RyanC General Discussion 62 03-23-2011 08:54 PM
Snow Day!? chinadian Academics 122 01-12-2011 03:48 PM
Snow Day? Cassanova General Discussion 39 02-26-2010 09:34 PM
MASSIVE SNOW FALL = Snow Day? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 02-14-2007 10:57 AM

does the snow ever get shovelled here?

Old 02-11-2012 at 10:40 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

does the snow ever get shovelled here?
k so im from toronto, or rather the outskirts near Scarborough and i know that there as soon as it starts to snow the ploughs are out on every major and minor street clearing up the roads. usually by the next morning the roads are clear of snow and de-iced and sanded.

but here, the ploughs haven't even come by since last night, at least not on sanders and the side streets. and i had to walk in the tire tracks of cars just so my socks wouldn't get wet.

and also who is responsible for ploughing the side walks? in my contract its the landlords duty and he did that ut everywhere else all the side walks are still covered in snow. so ppl please if its ur duty to shovel the snow please shovel it and make it safer and less of a hassle for others, and if its your landlords and he doesn't do it in time please remind him.

i think the latter point about ppl not doing their duty and shovelling the snow and making others lives less of a hassle and safe is whats really annoying me. but yea the city should also shovel the side streets too even if its a weekend.
Old 02-11-2012 at 11:53 AM   #2
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Agreed that people should shovel if it's in their contract. Not likely to happen much, though, don't get your hopes up.

As for your socks. Uh. Wear weather-appropriate shoes? It is February. What on earth are you wearing that your socks get wet? ಠ_ಠ
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:11 PM   #3
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Don't you get charged if your side walk isn't cleared within 24 hours of the snow fall?
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:14 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash AhhAhh View Post
Don't you get charged if your side walk isn't cleared within 24 hours of the snow fall?
"they cant fail us all!!1"

chappy89 likes this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:16 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash AhhAhh View Post
http://www.hamilton.ca/Help/City+of+...ovalBylawFAQs/

Flash AhhAhh says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:30 PM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Agreed that people should shovel if it's in their contract. Not likely to happen much, though, don't get your hopes up.

As for your socks. Uh. Wear weather-appropriate shoes? It is February. What on earth are you wearing that your socks get wet? ಠ_ಠ
yea i should probably wear season appropriate shoes, but then again this season hasnt been all that typical... and i guess the more serious concern was slipping and falling which i did on my way back ><. but yea time to get the winter boots out again. lol

also yea there are fines for not shovelling your side walk in a certain period of time, but that all depends on if someone wants to report you or not. also depending on the contract either you or your land lord will get the fine.
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:39 PM   #7
person33

Liked: 53 Times

based on what i see every week with garbage and recycling pick up (not being done until 5 in the afternoon, bags being left in the can, skipping every other house) can't say im surprised at their lack of response to snow fall/plowing
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:52 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Which street to do you live in? I live pretty close to the school and I see the trucks quite regularly at 7 AM or close to

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-11-2012 at 01:55 PM   #9
person33

Liked: 53 Times

clifford off of emmerson which is probably the reason why they come late but other things like being too lazy to take the bags out of the can when they dont automatically fall out of the can makes it so that we have garbage build up and then we cant even put bags on the road outside of the can
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:00 PM   #10
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Yeah I have noticed that they will not try to pull the bag out of the bin so I basically stopped giving a damm and I leave it out of the bin. Couldn't care less if racoons get to it.
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:15 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
based on what i see every week with garbage and recycling pick up (not being done until 5 in the afternoon, bags being left in the can, skipping every other house) can't say im surprised at their lack of response to snow fall/plowing
I've noticed this too. Sometimes, my recycling is only picked up twice per month. And today, while the main streets were cleared, the side streets (ie. where the houses are!) haven't been touched by the plows.
Old 02-11-2012 at 04:21 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It was nearly impossible to walk in the snow this morning on some of the smaller streets. The good thing was that due to the buildup, there weren't any cars and you could walk in the snow. If you're having problems with garbage and recycling, you may want to consider contacting the city and seeing if there's a reason why or if they can do something about it?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-11-2012 at 04:47 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It was nearly impossible to walk in the snow this morning on some of the smaller streets. The good thing was that due to the buildup, there weren't any cars and you could walk in the snow. If you're having problems with garbage and recycling, you may want to consider contacting the city and seeing if there's a reason why or if they can do something about it?
I do call. :( We wait until the day after garbage day, then we call. They come pick it up within a few hours of us phoning it in. But we end up having to call every few weeks.
Old 02-11-2012 at 07:29 PM   #14
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

They do the main roads first, then side streets, working from downtown out. I live in Waterdown, here the main roads have been plowed (Hwy 5 & 6, a couple other roads) but none of the side roads. I think the east end of the city probably got more snow (there was 3' in Grimsby), so they might be focusing on getting that cleared; earlier today the QEW down that way only had 2 lanes open.

ETA Hamilton's actually lots bigger than just the city, so there's a lot of ground to cover. Here's a map showing the boundaries
Old 02-11-2012 at 08:00 PM   #15
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

welcome to the City of Hamilton. I have lived in Stoney Creek my entire life (about 25 minutes from campus) and when we were our own city all of our streets were plowed before I had to leave for school the next day (unless it snowed that much), and I didn't live on a main road. But ever since we amalgamated the plowing has sucked.