MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

Doing a 5th Year

Old 08-02-2011 at 11:24 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Doing a 5th Year
Hi guys, just another quick question. Posted a few new threads and you've all been super helpful so far.

I am about to finish off my BA this year as this is my 4th and final year of my undergraduate studies. Depending on how i finish off my university career, i was considering doing a 5th year to kind of upgrade my marks so i can attend graduate school or law school etc.

If i wanted to do a 5th year, how would that work. Where would i apply and what program would i be in? Do i re-take some of the courses i already have or can i just select any program or course i am eligible for.

Also, does doing a 5th year hurt/affect your chances of getting into law school or grad school? Anyone who has insight on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-02-2011 at 11:31 PM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
Hi guys, just another quick question. Posted a few new threads and you've all been super helpful so far.

I am about to finish off my BA this year as this is my 4th and final year of my undergraduate studies. Depending on how i finish off my university career, i was considering doing a 5th year to kind of upgrade my marks so i can attend graduate school or law school etc.

If i wanted to do a 5th year, how would that work. Where would i apply and what program would i be in? Do i re-take some of the courses i already have or can i just select any program or course i am eligible for.

Also, does doing a 5th year hurt/affect your chances of getting into law school or grad school? Anyone who has insight on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated
A fifth year won't help you much in terms of getting in Law school, plus if you have your requirements done, I'm not entirely sure but i think DeGroote makes you graduate. If you don't have the marks, I suggest enrolling into a masters program. Take a look at the policy program here at Mac, the content is relatively easy and you get TA experience. For law school, if you have a GPA lower than 3.7 make sure you have extraordinary extracurriculars and at least a 160 on the LSAT. Although i have not written the LSAT yet the questions I have looked at require use of logic. Don't overlook anything and don't assume anything.
Old 08-03-2011 at 12:04 AM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure about the Business/Commerce program, but this is how it works for Soc Sci.
Go to your academic adviser and they'll give you a form to fill out. It's super easy, pretty much everyone applying for a second degree/more courses is accepted. You can come back and just take random courses to up your marks (whatever classes you want, as long as you have the prereqs). OR you could complete another BA in a year, assuming you have enough electives.
I had a 4-year Pol Sci degree in which I happened to take lots of Geography electives, so I was able to complete a 3-year Geography BA in one year.

I'm not sure if you can retake courses that you've already completed. I don't think so, unless you have special permission because you failed or something like that.

It's really easy to apply, and my academic adviser said lots of people come back to upgrade their marks. Just talk to your faculty, it really only takes a few minutes
Old 08-03-2011 at 02:25 AM   #4
Ruggedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
A fifth year won't help you much in terms of getting in Law school, plus if you have your requirements done, I'm not entirely sure but i think DeGroote makes you graduate. If you don't have the marks, I suggest enrolling into a masters program. Take a look at the policy program here at Mac, the content is relatively easy and you get TA experience. For law school, if you have a GPA lower than 3.7 make sure you have extraordinary extracurriculars and at least a 160 on the LSAT. Although i have not written the LSAT yet the questions I have looked at require use of logic. Don't overlook anything and don't assume anything.
Thanks for the info. Just wondering though, the Masters programs require a certain average to get into no? From what i remember reading it required ATLEAST a B+ average...or in McMaster's grade levels a 9 avg...although i haven't completed my last year i assume my grade average will be around a 7 (B-)...can i still get into a masters program?

What about teachers college, any specific requirements with that?
Old 08-03-2011 at 03:00 AM   #5
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Just wondering though, the Masters programs require a certain average to get into no? From what i remember reading it required ATLEAST a B+ average...or in McMaster's grade levels a 9 avg...although i haven't completed my last year i assume my grade average will be around a 7 (B-)...can i still get into a masters program?

http://www.economics.mcmaste r.ca/g...s-requirements
Old 08-03-2011 at 04:19 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Teacher's college is a little more complicated, since you need to have teaching subjects and pre-requisites specific to that. But look into the schools you're interested in. There's a whole list here: http://www.educationworld.ne t/tc_cda.html

Using some examples, the BEd at U of T requires at least a B in at least 15-full year courses, so your first year wouldn't necessarily count.

Also, Western requires at least a 70% in your best 10-full year courses.

In other words, you still have a chance, just do your research well and look into the schools you're eligible for and ones that you're interested in while making sure you have the pre-reqs and such.
Old 08-04-2011 at 02:15 AM   #7
Ruggedman

Can you post the requirements for McMaster Master programs please and thanks! You posted the economics but i can't find political science or anything
Old 08-04-2011 at 02:20 AM   #8
Ruggedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Teacher's college is a little more complicated, since you need to have teaching subjects and pre-requisites specific to that. But look into the schools you're interested in. There's a whole list here: http://www.educationworld.ne t/tc_cda.html

Using some examples, the BEd at U of T requires at least a B in at least 15-full year courses, so your first year wouldn't necessarily count.

In other words, you still have a chance, just do your research well and look into the schools you're eligible for and ones that you're interested in while making sure you have the pre-reqs and such.
Just with regards to post about Western...does that mean i need to have an average of atleast 70% from any 10 full credit courses i have taken? So if i take my 10 best marks i have accumulated from McMaster in all 4 years...(which would give me over 70+ avg if just taking top 10) i would be eligible?
Old 08-04-2011 at 03:25 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Just with regards to post about Western...does that mean i need to have an average of atleast 70% from any 10 full credit courses i have taken? So if i take my 10 best marks i have accumulated from McMaster in all 4 years...(which would give me over 70+ avg if just taking top 10) i would be eligible?
Yep, I looked into it and it says: " All applicants must have a minimum average of 70% in their best 10 full or equivalent undergraduate courses. " SO that means your best ten 6-unit courses or twenty 3-unit courses. You should definitely look over your marks and make sure you're above the cut-off. However, keep in mind that you should be above the 70% to be competitive, the 70% is just the bare minimum.
Old 08-04-2011 at 03:27 AM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Can you post the requirements for McMaster Master programs please and thanks! You posted the economics but i can't find political science or anything
The MA in Poli Sci page is right here: http://graduate.mcmaster.ca/prospect...i/528-poli-sci
If you look at the tabs on the left, you'll see all the different faculties and you can click on them for different programs. E.g all the Soc Sci ones are listed here: http://graduate.mcmaster.ca/prospect...ffered/soc-sci
Old 08-04-2011 at 05:38 AM   #11
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post

TEAS is a good reference for Ontario schools:
http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/teas/b_teas_b.pdf

Also, don't forget that some schools such as UofT/OISE have masters programs that give you teaching qualifications too! Such as the MA or MT =)