MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:29 PM   #1
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

DreamWeaver
Okay, so... not gonna lie.. I'm struggling with this whole website editing thing. Okay, so I edited the information on the page and I want to synchronize but it says that I can't. I'm going to assume that I'm missing a step. Help. =(
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:36 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Okay, so... not gonna lie.. I'm struggling with this whole website editing thing. Okay, so I edited the information on the page and I want to synchronize but it says that I can't. I'm going to assume that I'm missing a step. Help. =(

Bleh, dreamweaver has really clunky coding and the last time I even used it (I think I was 11) none of the coding was valid.

http://www.w3schools.com is probably the best way to learn, but you need patience.
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:38 PM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Yeah, that's way over my head. I don't know where to start. DreamWeaver looked easy yesterday.
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:47 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I think DreamWeaver is relatively easy but it can be annoying sometimes when it won't do exactly what you want or you can't find which part of the code is wrong.
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:50 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

It is easy. I've gotten everything done I'm just missing a step.
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:52 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
It is easy. I've gotten everything done I'm just missing a step.
What's the actual error message you get?

Also, did you set up a "Dreamweaver Site" to manage the site's files?
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:58 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

The message says
"No synchronization necessary. Would you like to view the list of files so you can manually synchronize?"
Old 07-08-2009 at 06:58 PM   #8
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post

Also, did you set up a "Dreamweaver Site" to manage the site's files?
I don't know what that means, haha
I'm sorry. I'm such a newb.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:00 PM   #9
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
The message says
"No synchronization necessary. Would you like to view the list of files so you can manually synchronize?"
It seems it doesn't think there's any reason to synchronize (i.e. it didn't detect any changes).

You can select the files from within Dreamweaver, right click then select Put to have them "manually" uploaded. If you don't see the list of files in the Dreamweaver window, press F8 and it should pop up.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:03 PM   #10
ferreinm
Elite Member

yeah I did that but still no changes have been made on the website. I accidentally changed something on the main page but I don't know how.
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:03 PM   #11
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't know what that means, haha
I'm sorry. I'm such a newb.
When you first start Dreamweaver, a "Choose what you would like to make"-type dialog should appear (if it hasn't been turned off). One of the options should be to make a new "Dreamweaver Site" which basically creates a way for DW to manage the local files and also gives it access to the server to be able to update them.

Alternatively, the new site option could be under the File menu (I don't have a copy of DW here so I'm just working from memory)
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:06 PM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
When you first start Dreamweaver, a "Choose what you would like to make"-type dialog should appear (if it hasn't been turned off). One of the options should be to make a new "Dreamweaver Site" which basically creates a way for DW to manage the local files and also gives it access to the server to be able to update them.

Alternatively, the new site option could be under the File menu (I don't have a copy of DW here so I'm just working from memory)
Oh, yup, I've done that! =)
Old 07-08-2009 at 07:08 PM   #13
DannyV
Elite Member

Hmmmmm I'm out of ideas then. Try googling the error message and see what other people have come up with