MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA and Dropped Courses loverofwisdom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 04-25-2016 11:03 PM
Dropped Courses Thread - 2013/2014 naval23 Academics 0 06-15-2013 11:20 PM
Refund for dropped courses? cypher Academics 7 09-06-2011 05:09 PM
dropped courses still showing up on avenue? Rakim Academics 2 01-03-2011 01:08 PM
2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea? abbyabs Academics 16 07-09-2010 10:50 PM

I dropped two courses first year

Old 11-02-2018 at 09:17 PM   #1
faithrl

Liked: 0 Times

I dropped two courses first year
Hey!

So I'm first year social science. I took math and chem for my electives and hated them so I dropped them, but mostly because I'm working too much this semester to pay tuition, but anyways.

I was told by the social sciences department it wasn't a big deal if I dropped these courses. I'm interested in the human behavior program and I was told I only need 24 units for entry? The website says so complete socsci 1 I must have 30 units, so If I only do 24 units what happens? I'm fine with doing two courses in the summer but can I still even apply to a second year program?

Thanks a lot for any help!
Old 11-06-2018 at 10:25 AM   #2
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

You can take 2 courses in the summer if worst comes to worst.
Old 11-11-2018 at 02:02 AM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thanks for posting on MacInsiders, Faith!

Not sure who you spoke with in the Soc Sci department, but it sounds like they gave you bad advice. Did you speak with an academic advisor?

Saying it's not a 'big deal' to drop courses, doesn't make much sense to me. You need to take the required amount of courses, as you correctly pointed out.

https://socialsciences.mcmast er.ca...oming-students

30 units:

Required: 18 units of Social Sciences
Electives: 12 units of courses of your choosing which may include Social Sciences

So you'll want to look at taking summer courses to make up for the dropped electives so you can get 30 units. You won't be able to enter Level II until you complete Level I with the 30 units.

If you dropped the 2 classes early on in September, you may be eligible for a refund or some money back. Might want to talk with the Registrar about that.

Goodluck!