MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-13-2012 at 12:29 PM   #1
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Drunkorexia
Anyone else do this?

I never thought it was a thing, but apparently alot of people do it; they choose how much they will eat depending on how much they plan to drink. They know that drinking (especially beer) involves alot of calories, so they eat less during the day, or days, before partying - and apparently not for the sake of "getting drunk quicker" i.e. on an empty stomach. Its just to keep their figure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...sfu-study.html

It seems to be a small study, so im not sure how much I believe that people who practice "drunkorexia" have more unprotected sex, that seems a little far fetched to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2012 at 02:27 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I used to do this (17-20ish) but I also struggled with other eating disorder issues. I think terms like 'Drunkorexia' distract from the bigger issues involved with this part of eating disorders and really eating disorders as a whole. Though unprotected sex specifically was never an issue for me I can definitely see that women who do this on a regular basis definitely would engage in more high risk behaviours because it takes a LOT less alcohol to get completely trashed when you haven't eaten anything in a day or two.
If you're falling over after one or two beers but your friends are going to keep drinking all night... whether your intention was to get drunker or not a lack of eating before drinking can lead to alcohol poisoning and generally regrettable behaviour a lot faster than if you've eaten normally, right?
Old 08-18-2012
StevensJohn
This message has been removed by a moderator. .