MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Taking Lecture Notes - Computer or Notes arestang First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2012 10:27 AM
How to take Lecture Notes Maaaaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-09-2011 05:35 AM

During a lecture, how do you know when you should take notes?

Old 09-19-2012 at 05:13 PM   #1
youdontknow

Liked: 7 Times

During a lecture, how do you know when you should take notes?
I'm trying to take notes in lectures but all the time I always take too many notes or too little. How do I know when it is important to take notes and when I shouldn't?
Old 09-19-2012 at 05:31 PM   #2
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

if youdontknow now, youwillnever know

kidding

if a prof spends a while on something, or repeats it between multiple lectures/times during the same one...then bam
Old 09-19-2012 at 05:42 PM   #3
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

You will get the hang of it with practice. Just try to sit there and figure out what is important and what is just rambling/side talk, etc. The more you attend class the easier this will become.

Also, after you write a bunch of exams you will start to see what types of questions professors ask. This will help tremendously as you will be able to sit in class and in your head forecast how the information being presented to you may easily be a question and how it would be worded, etc.

Its hard for me to put this into words but it is an art form you will master if you just keep at it.

alyssarr likes this.
Old 09-19-2012 at 06:15 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Definitions. Maybe working out a problem. Explanation to the theory
Old 09-19-2012 at 09:20 PM   #5
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Depends on the class. If the prof mostly tests on definitions, then write down definitions as well as any info about them. Also write down things that stand out or things you that you didn't get right away, but got after an explanation and try to write down the explanation
Old 09-19-2012 at 11:09 PM   #6
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

I take pretty detailed notes on the assigned readings before each lecture so that I can actually listen and participate during the lecture instead of scrambling to take down the information. In both sets of notes I only write down information that is new to me and I'll star anything that I don't understand so that I can research it further or ask about it during office hours. I also keep a highlighter handy so that if the professor is spending a lot of time on something in lecture that was also in the textbook I can mark it as important in the notes I've already taken on that rather than rewriting it.
Old 09-19-2012 at 11:34 PM   #7
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I just write whatever the prof writes on the board. If the prof is showing slides, I just list the headings (and read the relevant material from the textbook later). If your prof posts the slides online, you don't even need to do that.
Old 09-19-2012 at 11:52 PM   #8
ta2012

Liked: 36 Times

advice
Let me leave a piece of advice!
Don't be fooled by the sounds of 100 people typing around you. I have seen really really stupid things being written down just because it was said by the prof.

None of the professors say the important stuff for full 50 minutes, and some of the important stuff might be a common sense to you.
So the best way to take notes is to follow your instinct!

If you are absolutely terrible with note taking, try recording the lectures (if the profs allow it).
Do not take any notes in class and just listen and try to understand, believe or not, many people miss important stuff while trying to write down what the prof said 1 minute ago.
Then, go home, review the recordings and take notes from that.
This is only a suggestion.
You should always go with whatever works best for you

Goran, Kudos like this.
Old 09-20-2012 at 08:41 AM   #9
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

This was my method during first year. Since most of your notes are on power point slides. Just write down information that isn't on the slides such as examples or further explanations. Everything that is repeated is a waste of time since it's already printed on your slides.
Old 09-20-2012 at 02:24 PM   #10
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2012 View Post
Let me leave a piece of advice!
Don't be fooled by the sounds of 100 people typing around you. I have seen really really stupid things being written down just because it was said by the prof.
THIS THIS THIS X1000

The prof talks about their dog,weekend etc---cue ppl typing it out on their laptops
Old 09-20-2012 at 03:45 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
THIS THIS THIS X1000

The prof talks about their dog,weekend etc---cue ppl typing it out on their laptops
Haha I do know someone that does this often, just to keep from falling asleep--she'll type out literally everything the prof says, relevant or not, because otherwise her mind will wander. But yeah...if you can apply some sort of filter, that's good
Old 09-21-2012 at 08:17 AM   #12
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Compare your notes with someone else's in the class. What kinds of classes do you have? My accounting prof says nothing useful, maybe 1 thing a class. My stats prof is constantly saying important things, but I'm too busy listening and trying to understand I don't write it all down.