MacInsiders Logo

E3 2011 Megathread

Old 06-06-2011 at 09:46 PM   #46
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Microsoft Conference was awful. The only redeeming thing was Halo 4 at the end. WAY too much Kinect. Why do these companies insist on poor, corny acting?

EA - I hate you for not announcing Mirrors Edge 2.

Ubisoft - I hate you for not announcing Beyond Good and Evil 2. But I love you for Rayman Origins. Assasins Creed looked pretty good too.

Sony's Conference was pretty good. Uncharted looks insane. Sly 4? Awesome (Though hopefully it is more linear than 2 and 3). PS Vita for $250? Amazing. Uncharted, Little Big Planet for PS Vita? Awesome. Severely lacked new game announcements, save for Sly. Would have liked to see The Last Guardian too.

Very excited for Nintendo tomorrow. They have the best chance at having a great conference, simply because they are announcing a new console. Hopefully they make the 3DS look less crappy too. Mario should do it.

Grover likes this.
Old 06-06-2011 at 09:47 PM   #47
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

When Sony announced the PSV's price, I stood up and gave a slow clap. Well done Sony, well done.

Grover, peanuts like this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:02 AM   #48
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Nintendo's press conference is kicking off right now!
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:09 AM   #49
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovad View Post
Nintendo's press conference is kicking off right now!
Awesooome. Please announce some 3DS games so I can actually use this thing for once >.>

I'm really interested to see if the Cafe controller rumours are really true (i.e. that it has a screen that can stream games etc.)

EDIT: Just waiting for Reggie to appear...

Last edited by Mepper : 06-07-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:18 AM   #50
Parminder S
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 18 Times

Halo CE looked a little disappointing. But at $40, its not too expensive.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:00 PM   #51
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Awesooome. Please announce some 3DS games so I can actually use this thing for once >.>

I'm really interested to see if the Cafe controller rumours are really true (i.e. that it has a screen that can stream games etc.)

EDIT: Just waiting for Reggie to appear...
They announced a lot of new 3DS games, and yes, it streams games, and is also like a DS (touch-screen wise, but not portable - it has to be in the same room like the Wii remote)

I think they also said that you can play two games at once, one on the TV, and the other on the controller. I'm not too sure though. Someone's pissing me off by bugging me...

Last edited by justinsftw : 06-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:15 PM   #52
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm waiting to see Specs, games, and compelling uses for the controller before I get excited about the Wii u, but Nintendo really stepped up to the challenge Sony laid down yesterday with the 3DS lineup. I'm impressed.
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:29 PM   #53
justinsftw
Elite Member

There are no confirmed games yet, but here's an article about their experience in the demo room.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-games-console

Quote:
And our first glimpse of anything running on the console was emphatically that: a lengthy fly-through in an immaculately constructed virtual Japanese garden, from the viewpoint of various birds, designed to show off Wii U's graphics-processing power.Which was impressive if not jaw-dropping – on a par with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, running in full HD, with depth of focus and convincingly modelled water and weather effects.
Quote:
...the console itself will run in full HD, via HDMI, but the touchscreen isn't HD. The console has internal Flash memory which can be augmented with "SD Card or USB solutions". It will play optical disks and downloadable content, and will be backwards-compatible with Wii software. And it will launch some time between 1 April and 31 December 2012.

Last edited by justinsftw : 06-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2011 at 01:51 PM   #54
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Whoa cool, just after the Nintendo conference finished, I went on my 3DS' e-shop, and it let me download trailers for Paper Mario, Zelda OoT, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, and Metal Gear Solid... all in 3D.

(but it still has no games)

EDIT: Zelda OoT looks really nice, Metal Gear looks alright (has some lagg), Animal Crossing looks a lot better than the previous ones (looks tempting to buy), Paper Mario looks pretty cool , but not much is revealed about the game.

BTW I'll bring it to the meetup so you can see what the 3D looks like

Last edited by Mepper : 06-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:41 PM   #55
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

It's odd. I cannot remember the last time it was a tossup between Sony and Nintendo.

As MiniDragon said, Microsoft's keynote was pretty abysmal. I generally appreciate how they structure their pressers (very little talk, much content) to avoid viewer boredom, but when 90% of it is Kinect-related, I cannot help but feel wearied. Their big surprise, the Halo 4 announcement, leaked just before they started too. Kind of lost its luster.

Sony's was littered with great content, but no real surprises. Well, minus the fact that they are releasing the PSV with a reasonable price tag. Also, the lack of Kevin Butler was a shock. Regardless, very interested in Uncharted 3, ICO/Shadow of the Colossus remake, Dust 514, and many others.

Kind of depressing how Nintendo only showed off one Wii game. It's like the beginning of the end. Still, it's a Zelda game, so whatever. Good to see that the 3DS is getting more first-party games (Luigi's Mansion 2 announcement made me smile) relatively soon. The Wii U was kind of disappointing, because I interpreted it as Nintendo saying "we made a mistake designing our hardware with less horsepower" except they are six years too late. Their presentation of it could have been clearer, they lacked -actual- game demos, etc.

My game of the show is probably going to be Skyrim. That shit looks incredible. What does everyone else think?

Old 06-08-2011 at 07:56 PM   #56
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Whoa cool, just after the Nintendo conference finished, I went on my 3DS' e-shop, and it let me download trailers for Paper Mario, Zelda OoT, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, and Metal Gear Solid... all in 3D.

(but it still has no games)

EDIT: Zelda OoT looks really nice, Metal Gear looks alright (has some lagg), Animal Crossing looks a lot better than the previous ones (looks tempting to buy), Paper Mario looks pretty cool , but not much is revealed about the game.

BTW I'll bring it to the meetup so you can see what the 3D looks like
The first real games come out before the end of this year.
Old 06-11-2011 at 01:42 AM   #57
nick947

Liked: 1 Time

I felt that sony had the best conference. Although it wasn't flashy, it was well organized and I really felt that every product was part of that sony brand. And as for kevin butler, I believe he was busy running an op in spain with his Move sharpshooter catching the hackers... or at least that's what someone told me...
Old 06-13-2011 at 04:41 AM   #58
Rebellion

Liked: 12 Times

Konami's press conference:

Grover likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 05:54 AM   #59
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

The best parts of E3:

-The Zelda HD WiiU tech demo. Totally put to rest my fears about the WiiU not being very powerful. Absolutely beautiful. They'd better make it into a real game.

-the Assassin's Creed cinematic and gameplay demo at the Ubisoft conference.

-announcement of awesome 3rd party titles for WiiU. Assassin's Creed, Arkham City, Battlefield 3.

-remastered Shadow of the Colossus and Ico for PS3

-price of the Vita. I might actually be able to get one now. Uncharted on the Vita looks amazing.

-3DS announcements

-Mass Effect 3

-The Old Republic gameplay (as opposed to the dozens of cinematics)
Old 06-13-2011 at 06:11 AM   #60
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikia View Post
The best parts of E3:

-The Zelda HD WiiU tech demo. Totally put to rest my fears about the WiiU not being very powerful. Absolutely beautiful. They'd better make it into a real game.

-the Assassin's Creed cinematic and gameplay demo at the Ubisoft conference.

-announcement of awesome 3rd party titles for WiiU. Assassin's Creed, Arkham City, Battlefield 3.

-remastered Shadow of the Colossus and Ico for PS3

-price of the Vita. I might actually be able to get one now. Uncharted on the Vita looks amazing.

-3DS announcements

-Mass Effect 3

-The Old Republic gameplay (as opposed to the dozens of cinematics)
I just thought I'd point out that Lickitung has built-in kneepads.

...Think about it.