MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 2C03 or Natural Disasters (EARTH 2GG3) ??? iki_31 Academics 4 09-16-2009 11:19 AM
Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters AlchemistX Academics 1 07-23-2009 12:25 PM

Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters

Old 12-06-2009 at 07:25 AM   #1
blahishness

Liked: 0 Times

Earth Science 2GG3: Natural Disaters
Hi

I know there's already a thread about this course but I was wondering if there was anyone who could comment more on this course, specifically w/Riller.

I've heard it's easy if you go to class since most of his notes are images and he needs to explain them.. Also, are i hear there are assignments, are they easy?

Any insight would be appreciated especially ppl who took it recently in term 1 of this year!

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009 at 09:05 AM   #2
escape

Liked: 38 Times

final -60%
midterm- 30%
biweekly online quizes- 10%

Interesting course. Not to crazy about the prof. Dr riller is the only prof i felt is very unhelpful and unwilling to answer questions.
His lecture notes only have images so yes you do need to attend lectures to fill them in.
Old 12-08-2009 at 01:03 PM   #3
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Yes, Riller can be really unhelpful and unapproachable at times. I think the course the first time he teached it, and many of the students complained about the format of the course - specifically the mid-term. The mid-term was all MC and some of the questions on it required multiple answers. The problem was that the only way of telling a question asked for multiple answers is if there was a plural word in there.

So many people complained about that that he eventually decided to change the marking scheme of the entire course (if your exam was higher than your mid-term, then your mid-term mark wouldn't be included in your final grade).

Last edited by KayakerDan : 12-08-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2009 at 01:15 PM   #4
blahishness

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post
Yes, Riller can be really unhelpful and unapproachable at times. I think the course the first time he teached it, and many of the students complained about the format of the course - specifically the mid-term. The mid-term was all MC and some of the questions on it required multiple answers. The problem was that the only way of telling a question asked for multiple answers is if there was a plural word in there.

So many people complained about that that he eventually decided to change the marking scheme of the entire course (if your exam was higher than your mid-term, then your mid-term mark wouldn't be included in your final grade).

So would you reccommend taking the course?
Old 12-08-2009 at 06:13 PM   #5
KayakerDan

Yes, I still think it's a pretty good course. As long as you do your readings and approach Riller with caution, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting a 10+ in the course.
Old 12-09-2009 at 12:47 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerDan View Post

I wasn't going to say anything because I thought Riller wasn't teaching it anymore, but if he is .. yikes. I would not take the course again for sure.

What Dan said is right. Basically, the mid term was a test on how well we could figure out the prof's grasp of the English language, and not how well we knew the course information (I'm not being rude, this is actually what happened). A lot of people complained because a lot of people (including me) failed miserably.
I dropped the course because he said he wasn't going to change anything and that we were all stuck with the mid term mark we had. I dropped it on the last possible day to drop a course and still get some money back. Surprise! The FOLLOWING day, he said he'd change the grading around so our mid terms wouldn't be worth as much.

Horrible class. Don't take it.
Old 12-26-2009 at 08:23 PM   #7
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

so looks like from the reviews this course is not so good. I wanted to keep one light course next term and had natural disaster on my timetable :S but i m rethinking..because I don't want to get stuck with something which I'll never enjoy. Could you recommend something which is a second year interesting science/psych course but it not too hard.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 12-26-2009 at 09:12 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

eek, after reading this I dropped that and went into a first year geo course.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 12-26-2009 at 11:27 PM   #9
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

riller isnt teaching this course in 2nd semester, its being taught by someone else (Lopez i think). So im still keeping this course.

Richa says thanks to sycoman for this post.
Old 12-26-2009 at 11:37 PM   #10
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
riller isnt teaching this course in 2nd semester, its being taught by someone else (Lopez i think). So im still keeping this course.
Thanks syncoman. I think I'll keep the course as well. Didn't realise that it was another prof teaching it next semester. And according to ratemyprof reviews Lopez sounds good

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

knight_ryder likes this.
Old 12-27-2009 at 01:23 AM   #11
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

I'm also taking this course, can anyone who has ever had a course with Lopez explain the teaching style of this professor and how useful classes were?
Old 12-27-2009 at 11:54 AM   #12
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
eek, after reading this I dropped that and went into a first year geo course.
1HA3? don't do it. I just had it this term and I hated it. I got a 98 in gr. 12 english and my TA didn't like my writing style at all...It was so subjective. there are 4 assignments which TAKE A LONG TIME to do. I spent hours on end writing these papers (the first is 4 pages, the second is 8 and the last two are 13 pages) These tests and exams are really easy though-you really dont have to study for them just read your notes over.

PM me if you want more details.
Old 12-27-2009 at 12:01 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
1HA3? don't do it. I just had it this term and I hated it. I got a 98 in gr. 12 english and my TA didn't like my writing style at all...It was so subjective. there are 4 assignments which TAKE A LONG TIME to do. I spent hours on end writing these papers (the first is 4 pages, the second is 8 and the last two are 13 pages) These tests and exams are really easy though-you really dont have to study for them just read your notes over.

PM me if you want more details.
The first year Geo courses were two of the best (and easiest) courses I've ever taken. Generally, the TAs are very friendly and fair markers. I think you got one of the very few tricky ones.

I don't think you should compare anything you did in high school to anything you do in university. It's like comparing oranges and apples. How you did in high school isn't a proper gauge of how you will do in university.
Old 12-27-2009 at 02:45 PM   #14
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I also just took 1HA3 last semester and completely agree with manu. Don`t take this course it is much mroe time consuming than natural disasters whick I also took. I also found that my t.a`s marking was very subjective and at times completely unfair, she was one of the worst t.a`s I have had so far. Next semesters prof is amazing for natural disasters and the course it a lot easier to manage than geo 1HA3.
Old 12-27-2009 at 03:56 PM   #15
KayakerDan

If you take any first year Geo that is taught by Peace, you can get his lecture notes from Mills in case you ever fall behind in class (though this was three years ago; I'm not sure if they're still available).