MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-15-2009 at 05:40 PM   #1
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Where to eat?
I don't exactly understand where restaurants and such are located.. Are they randomly placed around campus? Also, is there any cafeteria-style place to eat or are all of the food facilities (?) pretty much restaurants and take out? Because I don't exactly know what I'd do for breakfast.

And another question.. Is there anywhere you can get fresh fruit or veggies on campus? I don't want to always be eating pizza, bagels, croissants, burgers etc.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2009 at 05:52 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

commons (the cafeteria-esque place) has a fruit-buffet... Thing

Both commons and minimac have pre-packed salads and fruit. These are the places closest to the rezes.

Dunno about student center, as i rarely went there.

Theres also bridges, a vegetarian place at west quad rezes.

Cant elaborate. Typing on phone atm.

lizziemcg says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 08-15-2009 at 05:54 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

hospitality.mcmaster. ca

Go there and look at the locations.
Old 08-15-2009 at 05:56 PM   #4
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemcg View Post
I don't exactly understand where restaurants and such are located.. Are they randomly placed around campus? Also, is there any cafeteria-style place to eat or are all of the food facilities (?) pretty much restaurants and take out? Because I don't exactly know what I'd do for breakfast.

And another question.. Is there anywhere you can get fresh fruit or veggies on campus? I don't want to always be eating pizza, bagels, croissants, burgers etc.

Thanks
Hey! Your meal plan is like a debit card. It contains a certain amount of money that you spend at locations. If you live on Rez there is a central building called Commons which houses 4-5 Specialty food spots in one central court. You just have to order food and then pay for it using your Student Card at exit. They also do breakfast. Apart from made to order food there also is a pre made shelve of sandwiches, fruit and other salads and other bakery items and candy/snacks.

Its pretty much the same in the student centre if you are in between classes. Then there is a healthy food/vegetarian option called bridges which is tucked in between a couple of campus buildings near the centre. Then there is the Asian food place called Wokery in the basement of one of the Buildings.

All of the off campus places listed as ones accepting mealplans are anywhere from 5-10 minutes by walk to 15 minutes by bus.

Fresh fruit is available at the meal plan places but the better deal(50c) is at Union Market in the student centre, but that doesn't accept student cards so you have to do cash/debit/credit!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

lizziemcg says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-15-2009 at 06:04 PM   #5
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemcg View Post

Thanks
There's also Needa Pita inside Mary Keyes that serves breakfast in the morning and pitas later on for the rest of the day essentially (although by the end of the year I dreaded pitas so much cuz I already ate so many of them, but they're good in the beginning or if you don't have them a lot)
Old 08-15-2009 at 06:37 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I would not call Bridges healthy. A good many of their options are fried, and they don't focus on all of the food groups...it's primarily carbs, protein and sauce.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-15-2009 at 08:04 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Oh god, that place in Commons... it's like Chinese food... forget the name of it, expensive but really good. <3 There are tonnns of places on campus, you pretty much have to hunt them out. Lots of people don't know about the restaurant in the basement of KTH. A lot of buildings have little snack bars, sort of like, snacks and pastries and drinks. I know the Health Science centre has a cafeteria, but it's shared with the hospital - couldn't tell you how the food was, only did a project there.
Old 08-15-2009 at 08:08 PM   #8
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Oh god, that place in Commons... it's like Chinese food... forget the name of it, expensive but really good. <3 There are tonnns of places on campus, you pretty much have to hunt them out. Lots of people don't know about the restaurant in the basement of KTH. A lot of buildings have little snack bars, sort of like, snacks and pastries and drinks. I know the Health Science centre has a cafeteria, but it's shared with the hospital - couldn't tell you how the food was, only did a project there.
The Health Science Centre Cafeteria has some good healthy food(I've only tried Burgers, Wraps and Pizza from there though)! But it is only open during the day till like 5/6ish. But most of all it is different from the disgusting and oily stuff at Creation X and its equivalent in Commons! But keep in mind it doesn't accept meal plans...

Old 08-15-2009 at 08:30 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I would not call Bridges healthy. A good many of their options are fried, and they don't focus on all of the food groups...it's primarily carbs, protein and sauce.
Well, its healthy in comparison with the food from some of the other places on campus. But unfortunately the tastiest meals they serve are probably the least healthy.

The healthiest place to eat is probably the Subway across the street, or the nearby Pita Pit. They don't accept the Mac meal plan at the Subway though.
Old 08-15-2009 at 08:35 PM   #10
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Well, its healthy in comparison with the food from some of the other places on campus. But unfortunately the tastiest meals they serve are probably the least healthy.

The healthiest place to eat is probably the Subway across the street, or the nearby Pita Pit. They don't accept the Mac meal plan at the Subway though.
Yeah but these Subways are TOOO expensive. Like A tuna 6inch sub costs $5.11 at Westdale or Main Street. It costs $3.87 at Gore Park/Gage Park Downtown! Same for all other types! Even the Gino's Downtown is cheaper by a Dollar!

Old 08-15-2009 at 08:47 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Really? I never noticed that. The only sub I eat is the Veggie one, and that's priced the same in all the Subways I've been to, Main street included. ($5.65 for a 12 inch)

Yay for vegetarianism!

moops likes this.
Old 08-15-2009 at 09:45 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
The Chinese food place in Commons you are referring to is probably Pacific Rim.
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:21 AM   #13
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Commons is just too gross.

Lois, maclover, manu like this.
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:30 AM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

The Beijing Hut off campus is pretty legit.
Old 08-19-2009 at 09:31 AM   #15
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

One of the best places for food is located in the mohawk-nursing? building which is right beside the psychology building.. it has amazing variety of wraps, salads, pizzas and I think it also has tim hortons... you should try that