MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need input from Apple users reeves Computers & Tech 30 10-12-2010 01:42 PM
Get Active This Summer! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-22-2010 12:06 AM
University and City seek input on transit Daily News MacInsiders Announcements 2 12-01-2009 05:00 PM
input for courses gladmam Academics 2 06-16-2009 12:47 PM

Eco Active Footprints? Input

Old 02-25-2010 at 07:35 AM   #1
cbrasch

Liked: 0 Times

Eco Active Footprints? Input
I found this article on The Warehouse Magazine website about how we can help the earth starting with simple steps to help reduce our active footprints. And it also talks about global warming.

I was wondering what people at McMaster could do around campus and at home to help the environment more?

Beyond the {Recycling} Box: Eco Active Footprints towards an Eco Active Community

KEVIN WILSON {CONTRIBUTOR}

In trying to digest the many - seemingly indigestible - sides of the debate, 'Global Warming' can become a confusing term to understand. To oversimplify, and hopefully depoliticize, global warming refers to the planet's continually mounting average temperature. With the biting frost of the Canadian winter lingering on the horizon, one might be found wondering 'why this is a bad thing?'

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a UN-commissioned scientific community tasked with qualifying the responsibility of human activity on climate change – or David Suzuki – would be swift to respond with a thorough brief, outlining the must know details and dire consequences.

The brief would be sure to profile many of the underlying issues such as arctic shrinkage, rising sea levels and altering weather patterns, and likely reference relative facts like the near doubling of category four and five hurricanes over the past three decades or the growth in the percentage of disease cases related to altered temperatures, like malaria for instance. It would no doubt make a compelling case for action as it carefully underlined the devastating effects these phenomena continue to have on the delicate balance that sustains our fragile ecosystems.

But controversial topics, by definition, are never clean-cut and the {inconvenient} truth about the state our global environment is no exception to this rule. The politics surrounding, at times engulfing, our governments’ tangible commitments to environmental change can be frustrating to say the least.

Monumental leaps often begin with important first steps. These first steps must come from sustained grassroots eco-activism, as our natural world is simply too precious to be left in the fumbling hands of opportunistic politicians.

It is only too easy to hide in the crowd of the collective. An eco-active community must embrace three fundamental principles, the three Bs of eco-activism, if it is to establish roots and force the hand of change.

be aware. Understand the issues.

be accountable. Take ownership of your eco-footprint.

be the change. Think outside of the {recycling} box.

Engage your imagination in your efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle. Whether you are chatting with friends about inventive ways to recycle rainwater, starting a Facebook group to promote eco-active trends or taking your cause to the streets in protest of insufficient clean air initiatives, make your voice heard and influence felt. Gandhi meant what he said when he challenged us to be the change we want to see in the world and our planet is a better place because he did.

If we are to make a monumental leap forward toward environmental sustainability, we must begin by making that first step. And the time has come for our community to make that step through awareness, accountability and change. The moment is {y}ours. The question is, however, will you be…? {w}

the {great} leap forward: volume i, issue iii
Old 02-25-2010 at 02:50 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrasch View Post
I was wondering what people at McMaster could do around campus and at home to help the environment more?
What cannot be recycled:
  • Coffee cups
  • Wet or dirty paper or cardboard
  • Pizza Boxes (NEW - they were found to contaminate the recyclables with the large amount of grease)
I'm always forced to throw my (labeled as recycleable all over it as some sort of advertisment of how great pizza hut is..) pizza box in the trash because of this stupidty.
Old 02-25-2010 at 03:55 PM   #3
cbrasch

Liked: 0 Times

ya I always thought it was weird that how on campus we can't recycle Tim Hortons coffee cups and the rest that you mentioned. Meanwhile I know at my house you can recycle all of that stuff. There are many people at home who recycle yogurt containers without rinsing them, wouldn't this contaminate the recycling process as well?

I think people at McMaster in general need to take better care of the space around us, the student center is always littered with garbage on the tables, and it just doesn't look nice, and it's not respectable.

rcrw88 you should check out The Warehouse Magazine group on fb and their online articles, I think you would like their material.

Thanks for the reply
Old 02-25-2010 at 04:45 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Well, the thing is a lot of the stuff that gets collected as recyclable doesn't get recycled. Municipal governments just like to get stats that show they recycle a high percentage of their waste. Some towns have numbers like 70%, when the reality is that only 10-15% of the material collected can actually be recycled. (That number might be off, I can't quite remember the number from the article I read. I'll try looking for it).

A lot of the stuff you recycle at home either gets tossed out directly, or processed and then tossed. We definitely need to re-evaluate our recycling system.
Old 02-25-2010 at 05:08 PM   #5
kangs6

Liked: 20 Times

If a person doesn't finish the pop and throws it in recycling...everythin g gets contaminated, and nothing can get properly recycled...I could be wrong, but that's kinda sad. If possible, please empty the bottles first =]