MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Econ 2CC3 or Environmental Econ 2J03 Strategy Academics 2 04-21-2012 11:04 PM
Econ 2J03 trade..? jessnzhang Academics 0 01-06-2011 03:41 PM

Econ 2J03

Old 08-15-2012 at 04:51 PM   #1

Liked: 0 Times

Econ 2J03
I am planning on taking Econ 2J03 this fall with Khan. For people who have taken the course recently, is the evaluation hard? what is the evaluation breakdown? is the course interesting?
Old 08-15-2012 at 04:58 PM   #2
ParrotKeep11

Liked: 2 Times

I'd like to know as well. I overloaded my schedule with electives so I can drop the worst one. I have no idea what "Environmental Economics" is about I just know that its easy because Khan just reuses midterm questions (he's teaching at least 3 different economics classes at once).
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:34 PM   #3
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Firstly, the whole, "people reuse questions things" becomes a pretty shitty reason to take the course, particularly if Professor Khan is capable of using the google.

The course emphasizes some really straightforward supply-demand-esque analysis to look at things like pollution and emissions control. I think if you're interested in thinking about the economics of that stuff, this isn't a bad course to take. The course is interesting enough and pretty easy. Beware his exams, I wrote the longest exam of my entire life in this course.

Avatar says thanks to WalkerBlue for this post.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:38 PM   #4
kotton

Liked: 9 Times

Khan's classes are harder than people make out to be.

apples12 likes this.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:46 PM   #5
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i took this class last year and enjoyed it. I found the work load to be pretty light in comparison to my other classes. The key to getting a 12 in khans classes is to simply attend class regularly. He goes over concepts thoroughly and once you have the concept solidified in class you will require minimal studying outside of class. Yes the exam was long but was fairly straight forward. There is also an essay component which isn't very difficult.

Avatar says thanks to fasailuddin for this post.
Old 08-15-2012 at 05:51 PM   #6
ParrotKeep11

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBlue View Post
Firstly, the whole, "people reuse questions things" becomes a pretty shitty reason to take the course, particularly if Professor Khan is capable of using the google.
I agree entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
Khan's classes are harder than people make out to be.
I assumed this would be the case that is why I overloaded. The class is full so I am reluctant to drop it but I probably will be.
Old 08-16-2012 at 10:05 AM   #7
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Khan is a good guy but his accent is something else. I've taken 2H03, 2HH3, 2D03 and 2J03 with him and I find that in order to understand him it helps to sit close and be rested. As for the material, 2J03 is more micro than macro and more math (basic math, but still math) than theory. Khan does reuse questions but honestly, this is only helpful when there are a lot of theory-based questions like in 2D03 or the macros. In 2J03 just about every question requires some sort of math process. It isn't hard math, but if your brain doesn't work like that and you're better at just memorizing facts, avoid this course.

Don't underestimate Khan courses, he's a good guy and he gives you a lot of opportunities to boost your mark but they're harder than they used to be. A 12 is within reach though and I would suggest skipping the textbook and just buying his courseware. If you master every type of question in his practice tests, you'll be fine but it's not the type of class I could cram for in one night and do well in. There was also a 10% essay, 5-10 pages I believe, very general.

Avatar says thanks to Kudos for this post.

Old 08-16-2012 at 04:02 PM   #8

Liked: 0 Times

Would you guys recommend taking econ 2J03 or econ 1BB3 based on the difficulty level? I have already taken econ 1B03.
Old 08-16-2012 at 04:05 PM   #9
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

On difficulty, I would say take 1bb3 -- it's pretty easy, O'Shaughnessy is a great lecturer and you'll have both intro econs which will give you a good foundation for later econ classes, if you choose to pursue them.

Avatar says thanks to Kudos for this post.

apples12 likes this.