What the EFF

Old 09-16-2009 at 09:30 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
While I would agree that emergencies (medical or what have you) are more important than parking obviously they need to extend the hours of parking services or something.

You can't have people stuck trying to leave the school. People are paying a lot of money to park at Mac and deserve to get what they paid for. People have lives and important things to do, they can't just sit around and wait for the gate to open up. It might not be as important as an on campus emergency but they are still important and there should be someone there to help them with an issue they can't avoid, especially if its not their fault.

Also the people providing "help" shouldn't be rude to them either, regardless of what else may be going down on campus.

This person has a valid complaint, it can just be shut down with, well there are other emergencies on campus that get dealt with first. I certainly wouldn't pay for a parking pass if it meant I have to wait to have my issues dealt with. Time is valuable.
The reason that parking isn't open 24/7 there isn't enough means to justify the cost. You'd be paying student staff $12+ and adult staff I assume around $25 an hour to more or less do anything...the department doesn't have the budget for it. That works out to being quite a bit of money over the course of the year, most of which would be completely unnecessary.

I admit, being rude to someone isn't cool. But nor is repeating an action multiple times because it isn't dealt with right away: when there are multiple things going on at once someone being rude back to you doesn't make you want to be nice back!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-16-2009 at 09:32 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
The reason that parking isn't open 24/7 there isn't enough means to justify the cost. You'd be paying student staff $12+ and adult staff I assume around $25 an hour to more or less do anything...the department doesn't have the budget for it. That works out to being quite a bit of money over the course of the year, most of which would be completely unnecessary.

I admit, being rude to someone isn't cool. But nor is repeating an action multiple times because it isn't dealt with right away: when there are multiple things going on at once someone being rude back to you doesn't make you want to be nice back!
In any case both parties are somewhat in the wrong. Repeatedly pressing the button was probably necessary but they still deserve to be helped in a timely fashion.
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:36 PM   #18
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

If they don't have the staff to be around when it breaks (which, from my understanding is quite regularly), and they didn't want to purchase high quality parking gates, then they shouldn't have implemented the new parking system. I don't see how necessary it was down in zone 6/7 (M & N?) That lot is a pain in the butt to navigate through now.
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:45 PM   #19
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Sadly, in this world, without "repeating an action multiple times" a lot of things will not get done and I am pretty sure that this was one of them. Plus, it is a service based business. If that was enough to get her pissed, then she should not work there.

mtam likes this.
Old 09-17-2009 at 10:11 AM   #20
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
In any case both parties are somewhat in the wrong. Repeatedly pressing the button was probably necessary but they still deserve to be helped in a timely fashion.
alright... i would just like to state that nobody in this situation repeatedly did anything to piss parking services off... I pressed the help button once, told the lady the situation and all she did was mumble OK...and that was it... so about 7ish mins later with nothin...the girl beside me called to let her know that gate wasnt working either, there was a huuuuuuge lineup behind us waiting to get out...and the girl did NOTHING in my opinion to provoke parking to be rude to her. Parking services said (in a very snotty voice) "well why isnt your transponder working?"... duh, if we knew that maybe we could figure out what was going on, what kind of question is that? .... so we waited about another 15 minutes and I called again to tell them nothing was STILL working..... and she finally must of pressed the magic little button and opened the gate for me.... how hard would it have been to do that the first or even the second time.I understand more pressing matters on campus, but waiting 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot is a little ridiculous, especially if people have to get to work or pick up their kids or something...
Old 09-17-2009 at 10:26 AM   #21
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

there could have been something else going on at campus. I remember when I was at the security office with my freind since he lost something they completly ignored us for like a good 5 minutes. They were interested in the fight that was going down at the student center on their camera screens.
Old 09-17-2009 at 10:53 AM   #22
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
there could have been something else going on at campus. I remember when I was at the security office with my freind since he lost something they completly ignored us for like a good 5 minutes. They were interested in the fight that was going down at the student center on their camera screens.
Ahaha, so were they just watching it to see who wins?
Old 09-17-2009 at 11:48 AM   #23
Al-mansi

Liked: 0 Times

hmm yea that sucks, it happened to me twice but usually what i do is just back up a little and try it again..i tend to think of it like key mingling
Old 09-17-2009 at 12:12 PM   #24
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I'm not sure why my transponder isn't detected sometimes and is detected other times. The gate always opens for me when I enter (I don’t have to take a parking ticket) but when I am leaving the gate doesn't open.
The biggest problem is people pull too close to the car in front of them when entering/exiting, which actually opens the gate for the car in front of them. Then it won't work for them since the system doesn't allow multiple successive entries or exits to prevent abuse. PLUS it creates problems for the person that was in front of them when they go to leave too!

It was like this the first few weeks last year. Once people figure out that they need to leave a little extra space and stop being so impatient it won't be nearly as bad. WOW, imagine that leave some space between the car in front of you - novel concept.

BTW, If you take a visitor ticket to enter any lot (for any reason) your transponder will NOT let you out, so don't expect it to.

Al-mansi likes this.
Old 09-17-2009 at 12:17 PM   #25
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post

Exactly. Monitoring the cameras they have and giving information to officers about what is going on ( in this case, a fight) should be a much higher priority than answering parking calls or dealing with lost and found inquiries.