MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is Twelve Eighty? Strategy General Discussion 6 09-20-2010 10:41 PM
Mystery Mansion at Twelve Eighty Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-01-2009 05:47 PM
SRA Member Shares Twelve-Eighty Plans Chad MacInsiders Announcements 13 08-04-2009 07:39 PM
Eighty-Seventh lorend ARCHIVES 0 12-01-2007 02:41 PM

Eighty-Seventh

Old 11-16-2007 at 03:31 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Eighty-Seventh
Eighty-Seventh
By Danielle Lorenz

Most of us are familiar with the rankings that Maclean’s magazine puts out each year (and perhaps it may have influenced our choice of where to go…if you could decipher it that is…), but there are international university rankings as well. Although Maclean’s has the national market covered, looking at more global systems is probably a better bet.

One of the most popular is the Academic Ranking of Universities, which is published yearly. This year, McMaster placed in a three-way tie for eighty-seventh, with the United States’ Rice University, and Germany’s Goettingen University. Only three other Canadian schools scored higher than Mac. Consequently, only four Canadian universities were on the top one hundred list at all.

The University of Toronto was in a two-way tie for twenty-third, University of British Columbia was thirty-sixth, and McGill was sixty-third. Canada has over ninety universities in total, and yet they didn’t make this list. I suppose then that says something about McMaster’s reputation, doesn’t it?

See Queens, we are better than you! And U of T: yeah, you may have better academics, but at least most of us aren’t failing something and have sports teams that actually place. As for Brock…well, it’s Brock. That one is just waaay too easy.

If you want to see the full list of ratings, check out the website here: http://www.arwu.org/rank/2007/ARWU2007_Top100.htm. If you check out the main website, you can see how they rate the schools, on what criteria, as well as the scores from 2003 onward.

Commentary on the Macleans ranking is soon to come!
Old 11-17-2007 at 09:28 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You can post this one before the Macleans one.

And thanks for uploading them for me.

I'll hunt for some pictures too...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-17-2007 at 09:43 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

archway. unless you can think of something more fitting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BuildingArchMcMaster231.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-21-2007 at 12:12 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

where is the macleans one? I cant find it (unless im blind)
Old 11-21-2007 at 03:59 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Ummm...it's coming?

Old 12-01-2007 at 02:39 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

still coming. I'll post this up anyways
Old 12-01-2007 at 03:19 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup. I should have it Tuesday nite; the two things I have due this week are larger than I had anticipated.