MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to run for SRA By-Elections? aviaf General Discussion 0 07-15-2010 06:20 PM
SRA General Elections Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 03-10-2009 11:14 PM
SRA ELECTIONS begin Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-04-2008 02:00 PM
Speaking of Elections ... IRC Elections! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-03-2008 09:55 AM

Elections Coming

Old 03-25-2011 at 01:48 PM   #1
comte

Liked: 16 Times

Elections Coming
So as you all may have heard by now, there was a vote of non-confidence passed (156-145) on the Harper government today (Friday, March 25, 2011). So elections are coming up soon.

What do you think will be some of the major political campaigns based on for the upcoming elections?
Old 03-25-2011 at 03:33 PM   #2
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

This election is pointless and a waste of money thanks to crazy liberals. Harper will win again! Vote Harper

doug, Misspolitics like this.
Old 03-25-2011 at 03:52 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The liberals still seem to be horribly incompetent while the Haper government is becoming more secretive and less democratic (I mean they changed the name of the government to "The Haper Government"). The liberals seem to be the lesser of two evils right now.
MaxEdison
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-25-2011 at 04:12 PM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Meh... costing us money... **** elections!
Old 03-25-2011 at 04:27 PM   #5
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Thats why ignatieff was appointed party leader, not elected. If this is democratic, I don't know what is. Harper will get a majority, and it is about time.

doug likes this.
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:19 PM   #6
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

This is all a huge waste of money on the part of the government. The opposition parties know that the Conservatives have the lead in polls and will again get another minority, what's the point?

The Liberals will never hold power with Iggy as their leader.
Old 03-25-2011 at 05:23 PM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

...I don't particularly like any of the main three...not much personality... actually I think the last of any party leader I liked was Chretien. But we'll see. There's definitely some I'm less impressed by than others.

Alignment aside, props to Layton for his epic reply when someone asked him about his cancer (they've been doing it for a while now). He repeated the usual stuff (stitches out, I'm good. etc) and said something like "well I could strip down and show you, but I don't think that would make good TV"
Old 03-25-2011 at 08:03 PM   #8
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

I don't know why the Liberals are seen as horribly incompetent. Just look at their record. Jean Chretien and Paul Martin gave us economic surplus and are largely responsible for the strong financial regulations which have kept Canada at the leading edge of the global economic recovery.

Ignatieff's Liberals have not had a chance to lead, so I don't why they are at this point considered incompetent.

Also, I don't know why people complain so much about having an election. The government has lost the confidence of the house, and it would be undemocratic not to have an election. This is a very small price to pay for us to have legitimate democratic government.

Last edited by J-Met : 03-25-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Old 03-25-2011 at 08:48 PM   #9
Misspolitics

What about the sponsorship scandal? The liberals have forgotten about that, but Canada has not. And Iggy did not answer whether he wanted a coalition government when asked. This is clearly not what Canadians want. The majority of Canadians DON'T want an election, it costs way too much. ALso, about the liberals and the surplus, they didn't have a recession to deal with. Plus, they raise taxes like all liberals do. We don't need this. Mr. Harper has been doing a great job with what he was given, and hopefully he will get a majority government so that he will not have to deal with stop and start minority governments that with every election shows the same outcome.
Old 03-25-2011 at 09:08 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I'd just like to see a majority something.Minority governments are more about maneuvering around each other than getting things done.
Old 03-25-2011 at 09:35 PM   #11
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Yeah! How dare we spend all our money on this damn democracy of ours when we could be spending it on fighter jets and prisons!

MORE FIGHTER JETS, LESS DEMOCRACY!

/sarcasm

J-Met, macsci, Mahratta, mlangille like this.
Old 03-25-2011 at 10:01 PM   #12
Misspolitics

yes, so we can fly tin cans and let criminals get a free post secondary education, apartment like cells, and almost anything they want...
Old 03-25-2011 at 10:16 PM   #13
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
yes, so we can fly tin cans and let criminals get a free post secondary education, apartment like cells, and almost anything they want...
I cannot believe I didn't think of this! Wow, just shows that you cannot argue with poli sci majors and win.
Old 03-25-2011 at 10:54 PM   #14
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Now I'm no political science major (thank god) but considering how great Canada is and considering the liberals were in power for 60%+ years in the 1900's I'm going to stick with the red.

The first time I saw harpers face I said he his evil (even before I knew he was a politician) .

just saying...

macsci, stevenmm like this.