MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft office 07 CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-29-2010 02:13 PM
chemistry office precious Academics 3 01-09-2010 05:11 PM
IRC Office Hours ~*Sara*~ MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-25-2009 12:03 AM
Microsoft Office Enterprise Help Phoenix General Discussion 2 09-27-2009 11:25 AM
Undergraduate office? 5footwonder Academics 2 08-07-2008 11:48 PM

ELM: So I approached the LTRC office..

Old 09-14-2009 at 08:51 PM   #1
tashatjong

Liked: 1 Time

ELM: So I approached the LTRC office..
.. in the basement of Thode to whine to them about how I can't even log into ELM through my laptop but can log in from any other computer. Obviously I wasn't going to get a new computer just because Mac decided to screw everyone over yet again, so I tried to get them to take a look at my laptop to figure out what was wrong.

In short, they told me that there was nothing they could do about it right now, because they were still trying to figure things out regarding this matter. They said that this problem happens to "people who use Vista, but not all people who use Vista." They also said that the more support tickets they get about this, the faster they'll be able to figure things out. Till then, I guess I'll have to prepare myself for the worst and go to the library every so often to download all my lecture files =3=;; Who knows what I'll have to do when we have to start doing online quizzes...

Sooo... SEND THOSE SUPPORT TICKETS, PEOPLE. The more complaints they get, the more information they will have to work with. Describe your problem to them in as much detail as possible.
Old 09-14-2009 at 08:59 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I really don't see what Vista has to do with this... but I mean, is it faster on XP or something? That doesn't make sense to me 'cause you're on an internet browser, if anything, it'd be that.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:09 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I really don't see what Vista has to do with this... but I mean, is it faster on XP or something? That doesn't make sense to me 'cause you're on an internet browser, if anything, it'd be that.
ELM doesn't even fully support the newest version of Firefox(http://kb.blackboard.com/pages/viewp...I d=25368512). It's looking more and more like this is a giant waste of time and money... there's got to be a better "learning management" system out there.
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:14 PM   #4
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times

I tried opening it from XP and the page wouldn't even load!!!

This shit just never works with anything!
Old 09-14-2009 at 09:20 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

ELM is just as bad on MAC OS X and Ubuntu as it is on Windows Vista. I dont think its OS related.

PilotMal, Taunton all say thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 09-16-2009 at 08:27 AM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

"As of 9:30 am on Wednesday September 16 the system will be not be accessible until 10:00 am. Further updates will be posted at cll.mcmaster.ca." :(

Alright this is getting rediculous. They took down ELM for 12 hours and still haven't fixed the problem. I say bring back WebCT and use ELM next year when they've tested it out more and ironed out the problems lol.

Last edited by Colin : 09-16-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Al-mansi, lawleypop like this.
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:32 AM   #7
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Efforts to correct technical issues with McMaster’s learning management system continue. Access to the system will be intermittent today as work proceeds to correct slow response times. The community is thanked for its continued patience and understanding and advised to continue to check The Daily News and cll.mcmaster.ca for updates.

so much for it being fixed by 10....
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:36 AM   #8
Al-mansi

Liked: 0 Times

this sucks, i have to view a lecture before class :(. i am officially anti-ELM now lol
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:37 AM   #9
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

One of my profs already decided to switch back to WebCT. Unfortunately, the school will not provide a 2009-2010 class listing in WebCT and so the course appears in my 2008-2009 listing. I think he did the right move however, because it's utterly frustrating that we, as students alreading having work put upon us, cannot access our material because of how badly ELM is held together. I for one would support a notion of bringing back the older management system, and I can guarantee that the feeling would be mutual amongst all students currently attending this term.

Afzal, Kareko like this.
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:48 AM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

wow your blaming the operating systems now?

its elm itself. they know its a bandwith issue. They have enough to go around but for some stupid reason ELM is not using it so it slows down when 1000's of students try to go on.
Old 09-16-2009 at 09:57 AM   #11
tashatjong

Liked: 1 Time

no one's blaming the operating system.
i'm just saying what they told me @[email protected]
Old 09-16-2009 at 10:02 AM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

-starts a chant- WebCT! WebCT!

(Sure, it would take a while to convert back, but it would be faster than trying to fix ELM problems.)

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-16-2009 at 10:28 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
-starts a chant- WebCT! WebCT!

(Sure, it would take a while to convert back, but it would be faster than trying to fix ELM problems.)
I don't think it would take a while toconvert back. o_o I've already had a prof who announced that he's going back to webCT PERMANENTLY for the year (even if elm gets fixed).

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-16-2009 at 10:34 AM   #14
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

They should have just adopted Moodle for the entire school. We've been using it in the CSMM department for a couple years without any problems.

As of 11:30am this morning, I still can't get into ELM. This is ridiculous.
Old 09-16-2009 at 11:11 AM   #15
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

our profs said they arnt allowed to migrate back to webCT since it is no longer supported.