Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elec Eng 3ej4 jp1390 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 12-19-2011 11:42 AM

Who else failed Elec Eng 2CI5?

Old 11-24-2013 at 08:02 PM   #1
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Who else failed Elec Eng 2CI5?
Could a upper year chime in their experience after failing Elec Eng 2CI5? What happen and what did you do? Etc.
Old 11-24-2013 at 08:47 PM   #2
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Just take it again. You've made it past first year there shouldn't be huge penalties as long as you meet some average (if they still want that).
(shoutout to my homeboy 3-dub...)
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:18 PM   #3
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Just take it again. You've made it past first year there shouldn't be huge penalties as long as you meet some average (if they still want that).
(shoutout to my homeboy 3-dub...)
Its a huge requirement for the majority of the 2nd semester courses. How did you continue without having Elec Eng 2CI5?
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:19 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You don't have much of a choice. It's a mandatory EE course, so you need to do it next year. You will have to get a waiver if you still want to take courses that require 2CI5 as a prereq (I think 2CJ4 does?).
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:25 PM   #5
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
You don't have much of a choice. It's a mandatory EE course, so you need to do it next year. You will have to get a waiver if you still want to take courses that require 2CI5 as a prereq (I think 2CJ4 does?).
2CJ4, 2FH3 and 2EI5 require 2CI5 under Electrical Engineering.

How difficult is it to get a waiver?
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:48 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Dont lose hope yet on 2ci5. I expect there will be some sort of bell curve and the exam is usually worth a ton.

Look at the old profs stuff:
http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/~davidson/EE2CI5/index.html

I also found the textbook site (dont know if you still use it) extremely useful. It has a Problem Solving Companion that targets a few problems with full solutions. It also has Problem Solving Videos that goes through step by step how to solve specific topics (done Khan Academy Style).

http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?ac...d=04701 28690

Btw failing Ci5 in elec eng is pretty much the equivalent of failing math 101 in a math degree. It was however quite common a few years ago. But try hard and dont let it come to that. I believe the MES also provides heavily discounted tutors
http://tutor.macengsociety.c a/
Old 11-24-2013 at 09:49 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
2CJ4, 2FH3 and 2EI5 require 2CI5 under Electrical Engineering.

How difficult is it to get a waiver?

I think the policy might have changed, but go see Kelly just incase. It used to be that you have to go to each professor yourself and explain your situation and ultimately, it is up the that professor to let you take the course or not.

I have gotten waivers for a few courses, but not because I failed a course, and the professors just asked me a couple questions and approved it.
Old 11-25-2013 at 08:42 AM   #8
lgdynasty

Liked: 24 Times

If your failing 2CI5 now, I strongly recommend that you not tackle a weaver for Elec Eng 2EI5. Not saying that the prof won't let you(i know people who got their 2EI5 weavers approved). But 2EI5 is a challenging course alone, and not having a grasp of the fundamentals of 2CI5 will only make it harder for that course. 2FH3 does not really use anything from CI5. 2CJ4 uses a little bit of 2CI5 but still manageable.
Everyone above me has given you good advices already. Good luck with everything and don't let it affect your spirit for the rest of the term

**Computer Engineering**

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 11-25-2013 at 12:24 PM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

If you can't pass 2CI5, then you should probably reconsider ECE. It's kind of fundamental, and many courses use those concepts (EI, CJ, EJ, EK for Comp only; PI, PL, PK and perhaps others for Elec).

Old 11-25-2013 at 12:57 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
If your failing 2CI5 now, I strongly recommend that you not tackle a weaver for Elec Eng 2EI5.
I'd have to disagree with that. I found 2EI5 is barely related to 2CI5. 2CI5 is more about higher level circuits, where 2EI5 is about transistor level. You can still do fine in 2EI5 if you study, since you study more about BJT's and MOSFETS as opposed to differerent higher-level circuit topologies, switches, etc.
Old 11-25-2013 at 07:02 PM   #11
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Thank you for your replies. Excellent advice and feedback. I will definitely go soul searching a bit at the end of the semester and re-evaluate my program choice after failing Elec Eng 2CI5. Its good to know that 2EI5 doesn't require much of 2CI5 materials.