MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:26 PM   #16
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
how much did Brandon refugees profit from it? Didn't they get a certain amount of money each week, I remember it being a lot, and they got put into hotel rooms.
i wouldn't say profit.. cuz everyone who paid to be on campus, to be close to our classes had to first seek refuge in our friend's rooms in other residences then move all our stuff off campus, then move all out stuff back.. in addition to the fact that we all had to commute since all hotels were busing distance
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:29 PM   #17
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggydoe View Post
i wouldn't say profit.. cuz everyone who paid to be on campus, to be close to our classes had to first seek refuge in our friend's rooms in other residences then move all our stuff off campus, then move all out stuff back.. in addition to the fact that we all had to commute since all hotels were busing distance
Retrieving your stuff was ridiculous. Sucked for anyone floors 6 and up considering you had to climb those damn stairs back and forth with masks that made it even harder to breathe with ash in the air and whatnot.

Old 01-26-2010 at 10:33 PM   #18
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

To be honest, 2 years less a day is more than I was expecting.

Yes, he will go to real prison. Well, minimum security prison, since his sentence is 2 years less a day.

The Saad Gaya sentencing was a joke. Let's let him out so he can try to bomb shit again. And the ring leader got "life in prison", eligible for parole in 6 years. Ridiculous.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:38 PM   #19
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post

Yes, he will go to real prison. Well, minimum security prison, since his sentence is 2 years less a day.
For anyone out there that is wondering what "less a day" means:

"Sentences of two or more years must be served at a federal prison. Sentences of less than two years are served at a provincial prison. By imposing a sentence of 2 years less a day the convict does not have to be transferred to a federal prison (presumably the convict was already in jail during the trial), and the convict will remain within the province (Federal prisoners can be imprisoned in any institution across the country)." - From Yahoo Answers

lawleypop, sniderj all say thanks to Parnian for this post.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:15 AM   #20
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:

The Saad Gaya sentencing was a joke. Let's let him out so he can try to bomb shit again. And the ring leader got "life in prison", eligible for parole in 6 years. Ridiculous.

He will goto a Provincial jail. All provincial jails are maximum security. If he was sentenced to two years or more he would have done "federal" time in a "prison" not a jail. If you goto the federal system you are evaluated and placed in an appropriate prison- minimum, medium, maximum or super max.

There are some really bad characters that Emerson is going to be in contact with in the provincial system. Keep in mind EVERY inmate serving time for murder, rape etc started their journey to prison in the provincial system. I know a guy who works at Maplehurst- not very pretty.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:41 AM   #21
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
He will goto a Provincial jail. All provincial jails are maximum security. If he was sentenced to two years or more he would have done "federal" time in a "prison" not a jail. If you goto the federal system you are evaluated and placed in an appropriate prison- minimum, medium, maximum or super max.

There are some really bad characters that Emerson is going to be in contact with in the provincial system. Keep in mind EVERY inmate serving time for murder, rape etc started their journey to prison in the provincial system. I know a guy who works at Maplehurst- not very pretty.
Thanks for the clarification. Although having just looked into a list of provincial correctional facilities in Ontario, I don't think they are all maximum security. Many of them are listed as medium security, and I'm too lazy to click on every single one to see if there are minimum security ones.

Having said that, I'm sure there's no question that he's going to be in with some bad people (especially since provincial facilities don't just house people serving 2 years less a day... they also house people who have not yet been sentenced for worse crimes such as murder). Everyone has to deal with the consequences of their actions sooner or later.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:51 AM   #22
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Jack,

Didn't we have law together with Dixon? Or am I thinking wrong...
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:55 AM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:

This is what bothers me most about this issue. Emerson Pardoe will be in jail for 2 years because he did something stupid where he didn't want anyone to get hurt. Another guy will be in jail for 4 years because he did something where he wanted to kill dozens of people?

That makes no sense. 2 years difference for such a huge difference in motive?

Do I think Emerson is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 2 years? No.
Do I think Saad Gaya is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 4 years? Yes.
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:10 AM   #24
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Jack,

Didn't we have law together with Dixon? Or am I thinking wrong...
Yeah, but who paid attention in high school?
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:11 AM   #25
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
This is what bothers me most about this issue. Emerson Pardoe will be in jail for 2 years because he did something stupid where he didn't want anyone to get hurt. Another guy will be in jail for 4 years because he did something where he wanted to kill dozens of people?

That makes no sense. 2 years difference for such a huge difference in motive?

Do I think Emerson is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 2 years? No.
Do I think Saad Gaya is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 4 years? Yes.
Just because there wasn't intent to harm someone doesn't make him that much less dangerous. Someone who has such reckless disregard for human life that it doesn't even occur to them that lighting a building on fire might hurt someone is not the kind of person I want wandering around.

DannyV, lawleypop like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:00 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Just because there wasn't intent to harm someone doesn't make him that much less dangerous. Someone who has such reckless disregard for human life that it doesn't even occur to them that lighting a building on fire might hurt someone is not the kind of person I want wandering around.
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between wanting to kill someone and not wanting to kill someone. I'd rather have Emerson wandering around instead of a terrorist. Maybe that's just me then.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:13 PM   #27
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between wanting to kill someone and not wanting to kill someone. I'd rather have Emerson wandering around instead of a terrorist. Maybe that's just me then.
To clarify, I agree that the sentences are too close, but I think the error is on the side of the Gaya sentencing. I think Emerson's sentence is more or less appropriate to the severity and intent of his crime.

But again, just because someone doesn't MEAN to harm people, doesn't mean their thoughtless actions WON'T harm people. At least Saad Gaya knew what the consequences were for his actions. Emerson Pardoe acted like an idiot and didn't even realize people could be killed. That's scary.

Edit: Also, Saad Gaya already spent quite a few years in prison, so that widens the gap between the sentences.
Old 01-27-2010 at 12:58 PM   #28
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
We should have led a group to sing the "Brandon is on fire" song at his sentencing.
Did someone make that a song? Because it would be AWESOME!
Old 01-27-2010 at 01:09 PM   #29
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Agreed.

I think he made an idiotic move and is being punished for it, rightfully so but when he gets out I won't feel threatened by his prescence in society.

When Saad gets out I will feel threatened by his prescence in society.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:35 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
To clarify, I agree that the sentences are too close, but I think the error is on the side of the Gaya sentencing. I think Emerson's sentence is more or less appropriate to the severity and intent of his crime.

But again, just because someone doesn't MEAN to harm people, doesn't mean their thoughtless actions WON'T harm people. At least Saad Gaya knew what the consequences were for his actions. Emerson Pardoe acted like an idiot and didn't even realize people could be killed. That's scary.

Edit: Also, Saad Gaya already spent quite a few years in prison, so that widens the gap between the sentences.
That's funny, I was going to put the exact same thing in my post but I forgot. I think Saad Gaya deserves more time in jail, and not necessarily that Emerson Pardoe deserves less.

I know that it's scary because Emerson didn't realize how dangerous his actions were. But I feel like he is less likely to do anything dangerous again because of his jail time. I don't think jail time will make a difference to Saad Gaya. He knew what he was risking and that he would die or go to jail if caught. If he's willing to risk all that once, maybe he's willing to risk it again. I think Emerson probably isn't going to risk everything on a stupid action like that again. Do you know what I mean? It's hard for me to put into words.

kanthamd, sniderj like this.