MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:28 PM   #31
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
That's funny, I was going to put the exact same thing in my post but I forgot. I think Saad Gaya deserves more time in jail, and not necessarily that Emerson Pardoe deserves less.

I know that it's scary because Emerson didn't realize how dangerous his actions were. But I feel like he is less likely to do anything dangerous again because of his jail time. I don't think jail time will make a difference to Saad Gaya. He knew what he was risking and that he would die or go to jail if caught. If he's willing to risk all that once, maybe he's willing to risk it again. I think Emerson probably isn't going to risk everything on a stupid action like that again. Do you know what I mean? It's hard for me to put into words.
I'm with you. Makes perfect sense. Hopefully this will be a HUGE wake-up call for Emerson.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:40 PM   #32
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
This is what bothers me most about this issue. Emerson Pardoe will be in jail for 2 years because he did something stupid where he didn't want anyone to get hurt. Another guy will be in jail for 4 years because he did something where he wanted to kill dozens of people?

That makes no sense. 2 years difference for such a huge difference in motive?

Do I think Emerson is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 2 years? No.
Do I think Saad Gaya is going to be a threat to society when he leaves jail in 4 years? Yes.
Umm excuse me? How much do you know about the Toronto 18 case for you to make that statement? It is not at all based on facts and clearly shows a lack of knowledge of official court testimony and the statement of the judge and the official court psychologist. Go look that up before stating things as facts. There are alot of ethical issues with the investigation. I have covered the case in detail for quite some time because that area is a research interest for me for my sociology degree.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-27-2010
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:42 PM   #33
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm excuse me? How much do you know about the Toronto 18 case for you to make that statement? It is not at all based on facts and clearly shows a lack of knowledge of official court testimony and the statement of the judge and the official court psychologist. Go look that up before stating things as facts. There are alot of ethical issues with the investigation. I have covered the case in detail for quite some time because that area is a research interest for me for my sociology degree.
I'm confused by what your issue is with this statement. My understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that Saad Gaya was aware that he was contributing to a plot to bomb something, but was not aware of what it is. I don't care if he was aware of what it is, people who are cool with bombing things shouldn't be walking the streets.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:45 PM   #34
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
I'm confused by what your issue is with this statement. My understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that Saad Gaya was aware that he was contributing to a plot to bomb something, but was not aware of what it is. I don't care if he was aware of what it is, people who are cool with bombing things shouldn't be walking the streets.
Sniderj, please go on.....onto the psychologist statement and the statement by the judge.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-27-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: response to deleted comment edited out
Old 01-27-2010
lawleypop
Old 01-27-2010
huzaifa47
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:50 PM   #35
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Sniderj, please go on.....onto the psychologist statement and the statement by the judge.
I'm not sure where you found that information. Would you mind sharing?

Thanks

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-28-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removed quoted CoC violation response, nothing sniderj or huzaifa did...
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:03 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Could you tell me what you're referring to? From what I've read, he did know he was involved with a bomb. That's what I'm talking about. Maybe I misread something though. What do you mean?
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:37 PM   #37
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

are you very religious Huzaifa?

kanthamd says thanks to andrew22 for this post.
Old 01-27-2010
plums
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:51 PM   #38
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Cheri was a little more blunt than I would have been but I kind of agree with her. I think Huzaifa, is being super condescending and annoying. Again, what Kathy and I said was opinion. We don't feel like he's getting a long enough sentence and wouldn't feel comfortable having him back in society. Last time I checked we were allowed personal opinions and feelings, I guess not.

Terrorists, terrorist sympathizers, wannabe terrorists etc don't deserve to be on the street. I don't feel comfortable that he'll be out in 4 years regardless of what any psychologist says. Last time I checked humans aren't infallible, no matter what kind of assessment they've performed on Saad doesn't mean they're right, and that he won't involve himself in terrorism in some way in the future.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:53 PM   #39
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
As a businessperson, I don't give a ****.
You are a very... interesting person...

There are many situations in which I agree completely with you... but whether intentional or not, you are giving Commerce majors a bad name by claiming your opinions are caused by your affiliation with the business world.

plums likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 06:59 PM   #40
plums

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Cheri was a little more blunt than I would have been but I kind of agree with her. I think Huzaifa, is being super condescending and annoying. Again, what Kathy and I said was opinion. We don't feel like he's getting a long enough sentence and wouldn't feel comfortable having him back in society. Last time I checked we were allowed personal opinions and feelings, I guess not.

Terrorists, terrorist sympathizers, wannabe terrorists etc don't deserve to be on the street. I don't feel comfortable that he'll be out in 4 years regardless of what any psychologist says. Last time I checked humans aren't infallible, no matter what kind of assessment they've performed on Saad doesn't mean they're right, and that he won't involve himself in terrorism in some way in the future.
just a little more blunt? she harrassed the guy, was rude and equally condescending and annoying. her post should be deletd asap.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:03 PM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
You are a very... interesting person...

There are many situations in which I agree completely with you... but whether intentional or not, you are giving Commerce majors a bad name by claiming your opinions are caused by your affiliation with the business world.
I think you missed the part where I was saying it because I was making fun of huzaifa.

In case you haven't noticed, most of his posts begin with "As a sociologist"

Seriously. Me and Reeves actually have an inside joke about it.

Actually, it's even funnier to me that this post was taken seriously because I'm the LAST person who would use my affiliation with something as a reason as to why I think a certain way (ie: in the Haiti thread, many people kept suggesting that I "think the way I think because I'm canadian")

butya, offtopic.

@plums:learn2detectir ony.

Quote:
just a little more blunt? she harrassed the guy, was rude and equally condescending and annoying. her post should be deletd asap.

you must cry yourself to sleep every night if something over the internet bothered you this much.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.