MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:14 PM   #61
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Apparently your ability to read and comprehend the words I THINK are lacking too.

Also for the record I don't read into both sides of the issue when the issue is terrorism (or rape, child molestation, hate crimes, genocide, murder* or other crimes of that ilk).

I don't care why he did it, I don't care why terrorists do anything they do. There is no excuse for terrorism, or any of those other heinous crimes.
The issue is: define "terrorism" please?

p.s: I would still recommend you to watch that video.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-27-2010 at 09:24 PM   #62
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hey guys,
this is just a reminder to review the macinsiders code of conduct. Please be respectful to each other on these forums. When there's productive and friendly discussion, we all win!
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:28 PM   #63
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post

p.s: I would still recommend you to watch that video.
Which video? I scrolled up but didn't see a link.

As you saying you think what Saad was involved in was not terrorism?
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:30 PM   #64
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Which video? I scrolled up but didn't see a link.

As you saying you think what Saad was involved in was not terrorism?
It's on this post, http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=56

So you responded to two questions by me with a "question"; how insightful! :S

Old 01-27-2010 at 09:38 PM   #65
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

who made that google video?
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:41 PM   #66
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
who made that google video?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_Dealing Its by David Weingarten

Old 01-27-2010 at 09:42 PM   #67
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

they were still terrorists though, no?
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:57 PM   #68
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Seeking to strike terror into the hearts of the people. Generally it tends to seek to coerce large populations through both threats and acts of varying degrees of violence.

Killing our Prime Minister, blowing up buildings, etc are all acts of terrorism. They go beyond simple individual crimes like "murder" because they are politicized violence. Politics polarizes populations.

I, like many people, have no sympathy for those who would cause harm to others, regardless of the end to the mean. You want to hurt someone? I don't care why - you should go to jail. Terrorist motives simply make things worse - they are politicized and polarizing, causing even more harm than a simple murder or bombing.

I'm trying not to refer specifically to the Toronto 18 case. I don't know all the details. I'm simply trying to answer your question as concisely as possible.

PS: I'm a scientist :p

Last edited by Taunton : 01-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.

sew12 says thanks to Taunton for this post.

kanthamd, sew12 like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:22 AM   #69
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Sorry I'm responding to your questions with other questions b/c I have no idea why you would ask such ludicrous things and I would like to know if you think there is any legitimate reason for people to know and consider both sides of an issue like a terrorist plot, or moving away from the Toronto 18 thing a murder in general, or a rape. Why do we need to hear the side of the person with the intent to harm?

Like Ben I personally don't care why someone did something malicious, intent on hurting another human being. There are none of perhaps very few reasons to deliberately seek to cause harm to another human being. I say very few b/c perhaps in cases of retaliation (someone rapes/kills your daughter, you do or want to kill them for example) the two sides are important to the case, maybe it doesn't justify the murder but the reasoning behind it is more important than in other cases.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:43 AM   #70
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

Huzaifa,

The problem is you (through the movie, at least) seem to be concerned with the ways the suspects are treated, and whether their specific individual actions can be technically classified as terrorism or not. With all due respects to the human rights of bombing-plotters, what most people are concerned with, on the other hand, is the fact that he knew what he was unloading, he knew how secretive the operation was, and no one who would uphold justice above everything else would commit such an action. This is not about classifying the crime anymore, it's about public hate towards those who wanted to commit one.

Oh btw, correct me if i get something wrong regarding his involvement in the plot.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:57 AM   #71
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Let's all remember that this is a discussion about Emerson Pardoe's sentencing, not the sentencing of Saad Gaya and the Toronto 18 case. If you want to discuss that, please start your own discussion. There are way too many unnecessary and irrelevant posts in the discussion. Thanks...

taylojl, temara.brown all say thanks to Nino for this post.