Atmosphere
80%80%80%
Service
80%80%80%
Overall Experience
90%90%90%
Average 88%
Empress Wok

Empress Wok is a new Chinese Restaurant that opened about a week and a half ago in University Plaza. From their menu, they offer "Hunan, Mandarin, Szechunan & Cantonese style" foods and claim "no MSG".

Before I get right into my experience, I'll have to say that for any students who live in the far west end (student condo area and west), this place is going to be your Chinese restaurant of choice.

My girlfriend and I had a craving for Chinese last night, and since I'm about a 5 minute walk from this new Chinese place, our destination became obvious. We decided to call our order in for take-out, since it was 9:00pm and they close at 10:00pm on Sundays. The lady on the phone was nice and she did her very best to offer great service over the phone.

We ordered two combo platters. Combo platters are just one section of their very large and diverse menu, and they offer 12 different combos for prices ranging from $7.50 to $8.50. When we arrived to pick up our food, the interior of the restaurant was very clean and very classy looking. They welcomed us, and we paid. They accept most forms of payment, including debit & credit.

We got our food and took it home (although from the look of the place, eating-in would be a great experience as well). The platters were kept in large 12-13 inch (approx. 30-33cm) tin plates with plastic covers, and the plates were around 2.5 - 3 inches (approx 6.5 - 7.5cm) deep. These platters were stuffed to the brim with food! For about $8, we both got enough food for one very filling meal, or (like my girlfriend did) a good meal with leftovers for the next day. The combo platters are definitely worth the money, considering a combo at a fast-food joint is comparable in price, with significanlty less food.

The food itself was great! Exactly what I expected for chinese, and the flavours were strong (notable since they don't use MSG). My girlfriend got a particular vegetable that she didn't like in her Beef w/ veg. & almonds, but that didn't turn her or myself off (neither of us could identify this peculiar tasting vegetable).

The sweet & sour dishes (I had shrimp and my girfriend had chicken) come already slathered in sauce, and it's important to note that asking for more sauce will add a $0.50 charge to your bill. The combos all come with an egg roll (really great, and the shell wasn't too crumbly) and chicken fried rice. The rice was also tasty, although I added some soy sauce for extra flavour.

Note that they charge extra for substitutions on platters and other combos. They have special diet/vegetarian items on their menu, and they offer a pick-up cash only special of free choice of sweet & sour wonton, crabmeat cheese wonton, or egg drop soup for $25 orders.

Free delivery is offered for orders over $22 within the delivery area (there's a map on the menu).

I'd have to say that I was thouroughly impressed with Empress Wok, and that this will be my non-buffet chinese restaurant of choice for the coming school year. I predict that once the school year starts, they'll make a killing!

Their website is www.empresswokchinese .com. It doesn't have much on it, but apparently you can ask a question! I suspect their website will improve over time, even though it should probably be ready by now.

sinthusized says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Empress Wok!

Old 08-04-2009 at 04:49 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
I ordered delivery from that place last week (My dad knows the owner, so he's been kinda pressuring me to try the place even before it opened =/)

Food wasn't too bad and my roommates agreed. My only problem was that the pad thai I ordered had too much sauce on it so that by the end I didn't really feel like finishing it. That said, it's not something that would put me off trying the place again.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:07 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member
Year: Alumni
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Was it bittermelon?
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:22 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
I'm not sure... it was cut into chunks so it looked just like a lot of other vegetables do in stews and stir frys. The only truly identifiable thing about this strange vegetable was the wierd taste!

Old 09-09-2010 at 12:32 AM   #5
7upp
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
So wokery is gone now?
Old 10-07-2010 at 02:27 AM   #6
Desda
Elite Member
Program: Honors Accounting
Year: Other

Liked: 335 Times
No MSG...what a joke.
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:57 PM   #7
Desda
Elite Member
Program: Honors Accounting
Year: Other

Liked: 335 Times
Rating: 0/10

This place sucks. I ate there today with my roommate and the food/service were both terrible. We were there around 7pm and it was empty the entire time. The waiter ignored us and stayed on the phone for about five minutes before approaching us with the menus. We were about to leave and regret that we stayed. >.> We ordered combo 1 (egg roll, fried rice, bean sprouts, chicken, sweet and sour chicken) and combo 8 (egg roll, fried rice, beef with onions, boneless ribs) and it came to a total of about $20 after tax (switched egg rolls for spring rolls too). Complete waste of $20. We didn't even finish our food. The combos came on square plates and the serving was very scant. The fried rice was cold and hard and minimal. The "ribs" on my plate were abnormally red and hard to chew. They were more like hard pieces of leftover pork coated in red. The best part about my meal was probably the fortune cookies at the end because they didn't make those.

Honestly, we should've just stayed home and ordered pizza or went to any fast food place or had instant noodles. :/ Very disappoint.

Last edited by Desda : 04-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search