MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
LF: Gerontology 1A03 and Environmental Science 1A03 Textbooks TLulu Academics 1 01-07-2010 07:10 PM

eng 1a03

Old 06-13-2010 at 12:18 PM   #1
navangi90

Liked: 4,294,967,295 Times

eng 1a03
Hi I am planning to tke Eng 1a03 (shorter genres) as an elective and the prof is Kehler, Gl. Can someone please tell me how is this course and what is the workload like.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2010 at 12:53 PM   #2
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I took that last year during first term but it was Dr. York who taught the course. I'm not sure how different the course will be but last year I really liked it.
We had two essays (one 500 word and one 1000 word I believe) and a tutorial assignment (I think this was different depending on the TA? but for tutorial had to write a short reply to question the TA sent us and come up with a question of our own) and of course we had our final.
The work load wasn't bad at all, and unlike longer genres where you have to go through one book in basically two weeks or less, shorter genres are all really short readings. Some will only take you 1 or 2 minutes to read, some of the short stories might take around 10-15 minutes, but nothing should exceed 30 minutes. I usually did my readings in between classes or during a boring lecture. The only time I really had to spend time on anything was the two essays.

Hope this helped!
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:40 PM   #3
navangi90

eng 1a03
Thank you very much!! Now I am looking fwd to this course! But did they mark hard on essays? And how was the exam?

Thank you
Old 06-13-2010 at 08:53 PM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I'm planning on taking the course too, but I'm assuming they marked the essays relatively hard, as is the case with most University courses.

I heard that they were 'tricky' which makes sense considering the first essay is only 500 words, and therefore it's going to be hard to really get your point across without wasting words and going over the limit.
Old 06-13-2010 at 09:56 PM   #5
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Well I guess it would depend??? I know that last year Dr. York read the first essay to make sure the marking is consistent between the TAs. but that's just the prof.

I usually get 85%+ in high school which is an A in the McMaster grading system, my first essay I managed to get a B so somewhere between 73-76, and from what I heard from other people, the mark for their first essay was about 10% less than what they usually get in high school. This varies from person to person, some did the same, some did a lot worse.
I'm not sure if every TA did this, but my TA did an essay session during one of the tutorials before the essay is due. Take notes, even if you know how to write an essay, because sometimes they give examples and pointers and I found that following the stuff your TA says usually helps with getting a good mark. They wouldn't have told you if they weren't important or they weren't expecting it.

and the exam....I can't really remember much about it XDDD
There were terms and short answers, and passage ID....I can't recall if there was an essay xP sorry!
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:03 AM   #6
navangi90

yes I hope the prof this year is like tht too! And if anyone is dropping english 1A03 can u please let me know.