MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-02-2010 at 12:30 PM   #1
athmi100

Liked: 3 Times

Eng co-op
What kind of CA do you need to land an engineering co-op job in First year?
Old 02-02-2010 at 05:51 PM   #2
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

You most likely won't land a job for co-op in first year for engineering since the employers are looking for someone with more experience. However, if you know someone or your parents know someone in an engineering firm, you can ask that person and see if there's a job opening available. This is how i found a co-op job in the summer for first year engineering. I'm not saying it's impossible since i had a few friends that got a job just by doing interviews but it's harder to find a co-op job than let's say a 2nd year or 3rd year and so on since they have more experience in their field.

In order to do co-op at McMaster, you need a CA of 4.0 which is the same CA to stay in Engineering.
Old 02-02-2010 at 06:41 PM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

12 good luck
Old 02-02-2010 at 07:08 PM   #4
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcow View Post
You most likely won't land a job for co-op in first year for engineering since the employers are looking for someone with more experience. However, if you know someone or your parents know someone in an engineering firm, you can ask that person and see if there's a job opening available. This is how i found a co-op job in the summer for first year engineering. I'm not saying it's impossible since i had a few friends that got a job just by doing interviews but it's harder to find a co-op job than let's say a 2nd year or 3rd year and so on since they have more experience in their field.

In order to do co-op at McMaster, you need a CA of 4.0 which is the same CA to stay in Engineering.
It is definitely possible to land a job after first year. A good chance you might have is to work for a prof (they will post on oscar soon), but there are companies are definitely okay with hiring first years. I wouldn't think too many (external to the school) opportunities will be posted on oscar though, you will likely have to look for them yourself.

Cowcow's advice is sound, networking is the best way to go about getting a job after first year.

I think the CA to stay in ECCS co-op is higher than 4, maybe 5 or 6 (but they may let you in depending on other circumstances)

As for marks required for getting a job... an average from 7-9 will be a safe range to be in, provided you can demonstrate that you are more than the marks you have achieved (i.e not someone who only studies and nothing else). Some employers care about marks, some don't, but even with bad marks they might let you defend your case in the interview. I think resume/coverletter quality is more important here.
Old 02-03-2010 at 01:14 PM   #5
athmi100

Thanks a lot guys. And Ash, good luck with the elections.
Old 02-03-2010 at 04:48 PM   #6
ash0000

Thanks!

Let me know if you have any other co-op related (or engineering in general) questions. I learned a lot about the process, both in my internship and through MES stuff.

-Ash
Old 02-21-2010 at 12:32 AM   #7
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

It's not fun getting rejected everywhere. :(
Old 02-21-2010 at 12:38 AM   #8
athmi100

Did you try hydro one?
Old 02-21-2010 at 12:42 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
Did you try hydro one?
Hydro one doesn't want McMaster people anymore. Apparently a few electrical engineering students ruined it for everyone.
Old 02-21-2010 at 12:46 AM   #10
athmi100

They were hiring 10 1st year engineers for a 3 term co-op placement. The deadline has already passed though :(

Last edited by athmi100 : 02-21-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2010 at 12:53 AM   #11
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by athmi100 View Post
Did you try hydro one?
Oh, I've tried everywhere. Everyone in ece is doomed. You will not even be considered rejected, employers will completely ignore you.
Old 02-21-2010 at 08:11 AM   #12
ash0000

hey bobby, when I applied 2 years ago, I did not get first round stuff, in fact I got my offer near the end of march. Just keep applying, stuff will be continually posted, and you might just find something. Some people find them a month or two into the summer as well.

I know its a bit hard and you might feel disillusioned, but you need to keep at it, it is the only way.

Bobby66 says thanks to ash0000 for this post.