MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-25-2010 at 01:02 PM   #1
mse369

Liked: 9 Times

Eng & Society
So I was looking into the Engineering & Society program (which I applied to).

When looking at the courses I would have to take to get a minor in Geography it said that I would have to take 6 units of GEO 1B03, 1G03, 1HB6, 1HS3 or 1HU3. Then when looking into Engineering electives I noticed that it said GEO 1HS3 & 1HU3 are no longer offered. The only Geography courses offered that can be taken are GEOG 1HA3 & 1HB3 which are both not on the list. It also says that some Enviro Sci courses can be taken but none are listed on the Engineering Electives list.

Also I had not taken any GEOs in first year as electives. I did econ instead for Eng and Mgmt but realized that wasn't what I wanted to do anymore.

I'm going to email the administrator for Engineering and Society about this but I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 05-25-2010 at 01:09 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

What particular engineering?
As far as a minor, ive heard you need 6 courses in that field for it to count as a minor, not 100% sure though.

Seems you will need these courses for society:

2nd Year:
ENGSOCTY 2X03, 2Y03
3-6 units Engineering and Society focus electives

3rd Year:
3 units ENGSOCTY 3Y03
3-6 units Engineering and Society focus electives and/or ENGINEER 3PM3

4th Year:
6 units ENGSOCTY 3X03, 3Z03
3-6 units Engineering and Society focus electives

5th Year:
6 units ENGSOCTY 4X03, 4Y03
6 units Engineering and Society focus electives
Old 05-25-2010 at 01:22 PM   #3
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Minor in Geography Geog 1HB3/A3 are both on there.

I dont think the courses need to be from the complementary studies elective list.
Old 05-25-2010 at 02:43 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I dont think the courses need to be from the complementary studies elective list.
This is true.

In Society, you take "focus electives" instead of "complementary studies electives", which just means you're free to take any non-Eng course (as in, the course code isn't ENGINEER xxxx) you want.

When you enter Society, you're required to explain what your goal is (usually revolves around a central theme, hence "focus elective") so you're just not taking random bird courses.

It seems like you already know what you're doing, so it shouldn't be a concern for you. As long as the courses are offered, then you're free to take them. Careful with courses that might only be offered every other year when you plan out your future though.
Old 05-25-2010 at 02:45 PM   #5
mse369

Liked: 9 Times

Oh okay..
Thanks for all the help.

and for whoever asked, I will most probably be doing Eng Phys and Society next year (it was my first choice so haha I should get in).

Geek, micadjems like this.
Old 05-25-2010 at 02:52 PM   #6
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Careful with courses that might only be offered every other year when you plan out your future though.
This is key. Also, try to take summer courses if you can. Your Eng Phys classes will inevitably conflict with that one awesome elective you've been waiting to take for X years, and then you'll be angry, and rant to the Y department, and they'll tell you that maybe you can change your core sections around? And then you'll be like ":O i forgot other faculties are lucky enough to be able to have more than one core section for their classes!" And then you'll wish you'd taken that course in the summer when you could have.

I'm kidding; its not as rough as it sounds. Sometimes scheduling is tricky though, so be prepared to overload at some point, and change courses around.