MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade: ENGINEER 1D04 L04 FOR L03 RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-01-2010 06:46 AM
Notetaking in ENGINEER 1D04/1P03 RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-23-2010 09:38 PM
Engineer 1D04 Ish001 Academics 20 08-08-2010 04:34 PM

ENGINEER 1D04 (summer school)

Old 06-16-2015 at 10:13 PM   #1
Theory

Liked: 0 Times

ENGINEER 1D04 (summer school)
I'm planning on dropping MATH 2C03 (Diffy Qs) for ENGINEER 1D04 (Programming). I feel like I wasted my first term doing MUSIC 2F03 when I could have done COMP SCI 1MD3... smh...

Anyway, the prof is Tom Doyle, and was wondering if anyone had done this course with him? Also how is the course during summer school, if anyone has taken it? I am in the faculty of Science and I have some experience with Python, so I'm not sure what language will be used and so I don't know what to expect.

I will likely apply for Maths and Computer Science this fall, and would love to have 1D04 under my belt so that I can take the upper year computer science courses.

Thanks for any responses!
Old 06-16-2015 at 11:09 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Not sure about Tom Doyle, and not sure about 1D04 in the summer...

... but normally that's the course that separates people capable of programming and people who should stay away from it (even if they want to program). Normally it has a really stressful lab component, that people who don't program will be suffering in. The lecture component is like standard 1st year programming stuff (or even 2nd year Soft Eng 2S03 if you attend McMaster's sucky Software Engineering program)....

Idk about summer school tho, they might be going easy on you.

Theory says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 06-17-2015 at 12:25 AM   #3
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Look at the bottom of this for the comment of 1D04 I added, it outlines the course:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...2.html?t=21302

I had Dr. Doyle for Eng Design course in first year. He's alright. can't really complain about anything, but since it was a design course it was basic math for the most part and drawing gears and other simple things and a very different from 1D04. So not sure how he'll be with 1D04. I personally did like Dr Farmer, he did do a good job explaining everything for the most part.

Anyway, 1D04 is easy. Put in the work, listen in lecture, slides cover most of the important stuff. Textbook (find the pdf, don't buy it, not worth it) is also a very good resource (it was perhaps the only textbook I actually cracked open regularly, not a bad read especially if you want to really understand the concepts not just pass). Labs 1 and 2 are a stupid joke, understand basic python syntax and grade 5 math and you'll get 100%. Lab 3 and 4 go into lists and collection of data in lists. Again understand lists and you'll get 100%. Lab 5 was the only one I didn't get 100% on, b/c of a very stupid mistake (greater than sign when it should have been less than), the lab was on classes and objects and again doing simple algebra stuff)

Note 1D04 has been taught by Dr. Farmer (head of Computing and Software) and Dr. Smith (he didn't teach this previous year) in recent years. So Dr Doyle teaching it might be different from how it is taught in the regular year.

Last edited by justicebeaver : 06-17-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Theory says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 06-17-2015 at 01:55 PM   #4
Theory

That sounds great! I am actually doing Python in an online course right now (I wanted to learn it for my own purposes), so I feel like I'll be okay....
I'm a maths major, so I don't have a huge computer science background, but I know that I love it, I can spend like 3-4 straight, sitting and programming, so I don't think interest will be an issue, just skill (of which some I would like to think I have).

Thanks for the zip file, and I will definitely look into it and your review. Overall, thanks again! Also, is it possible to take this during the school year?
Old 06-17-2015 at 09:06 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It's python. It is generally simple except I'm awful. He can't be worse than the prof I had..
Old 06-17-2015 at 10:26 PM   #6
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory View Post
Also, is it possible to take this during the school year?
1D04 is offered both semesters (fall and winter). There is only 1 lecture per week, along with 1 3hr lab and 2 hr tutorial. The lab shouldn't take more than 1 hour if you know what you're doing.

Theory says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 06-18-2015 at 08:46 AM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Had Doyle for a second year elec programming class. Hes pretty good. Better than Farmer I thought. 1D04 is your typical intro to programming class: Its insanely hard for those who dont get it and a total bird course for those who do / have experience with it.

The best programming reference I know of is this guys youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas/playlists

The code refactoring and design pattern tutorials are top notch , although in Java. He has a Python playlist but I havnt been through it so I cant say how it is.

justicebeaver, Theory like this.
Old 06-18-2015 at 10:05 AM   #8
Theory

Perfect! I will probably enroll it for the school year (where Dr. Farmer is teaching)... that is if it doesn't conflict with my required courses. I hate all these conflicts ugh. Thanks though guys!

Finally do any of you guys have any experience with the computing courses offered by the faculty of science? I.e. Maths 2T03, 3Q03, Physics 2G03, MedPhys 3R03, Biochem 3Y03, Bio3S03 (the bioinformatics one).

Thanks again!