MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-09-2010 at 12:46 PM   #16
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryboy View Post
so when i call them what do I specifically ask them.
Sorry but I don't think there's anything the Registrar's Office can do to either speed up the acceptance process or guarantee your acceptance. I would definitely relax as all the other posters are saying and just keep working hard in school, and you should end up in a place/program that you want next year, whether it be Mac or somewhere else, and even if you don't you can still make plans after 1st year (i.e. transferring).

Also, sorry if I'm being offensive at all, but you are sort of the one that asked for their number so I presume you had a question to begin with...?
Old 03-09-2010 at 01:03 PM   #17
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
I had University offers in the second week of September in Grade 12 =p Granted, they were for the States, but the point stands.
I doubt that makes him feel better...if anything it makes him feel worse, but damn thats early...I got my earliest states acceptances in November.
Old 03-09-2010 at 07:29 PM   #18
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

I wouldn't worry too much about getting accepted. It is still early in March and I remember people who had lower marks then me got accepted before me for some schools. So wait and see? You got till May 31st to be sure anyway right? Don't worry.
Old 03-09-2010 at 07:30 PM   #19
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

k thank u soo the last day to accept me is on may 31st
Old 03-09-2010 at 09:03 PM   #20
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

good luck on your acceptance. I hope I can get TA for your year.
Old 03-09-2010 at 09:14 PM   #21
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
Dude, seriously if you're this worried about getting into Mac, you're gonna piss in your pants by the third midterm in uni....stop worrying...worst case, you got to a different university...big deal
Yeah I remember least half of the class failed on the Physics' first midterm in first semester, the average was what? In the 50's?

Good times.
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:05 PM   #22
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

bell curveeeee
Old 03-10-2010 at 08:11 PM   #23
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

ive only had one bump up that ive known about and that was d04 with a 10% boost for everyone
Old 03-10-2010 at 10:58 PM   #24
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

they tend not to bell, just make the next test easier to raise ppl's marks. 1D04 was an exception because people were so terrible at it and failing after the final exam.

As for averages, I seem to remember being accepted around late feb/early march with an 88% average. Im sort of surprised they are already down to 83 range. That usually comes in as people reject in like late march/april. And if ur struggling in highschool...please know you will find it an absolute joke by a month into eng. Even with 8 highschool (like 3 sci, 3 math, philosophy, cmp eng) courses and no spares, the workload is like 1/5 of that at Mac Eng (or any other Eng program). For example the entire Vectors section of Calculus and Vectors (ontario) was covered in 3 1hr classes of 1Z04 (the easy math), and the Cal part covered in a few weeks. Not to scare you, you get used to the new workload (even if you didnt open a textbook in hs) - but ull be laughing next year. Good luck on ur acceptance.
Old 03-10-2010 at 11:05 PM   #25
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
And if ur struggling in highschool...please know you will find it an absolute joke by a month into eng. Even with 8 highschool (like 3 sci, 3 math, philosophy, cmp eng) courses and no spares, the workload is like 1/5 of that at Mac Eng (or any other Eng program). For example the entire Vectors section of Calculus and Vectors (ontario) was covered in 3 1hr classes of 1Z04 (the easy math), and the Cal part covered in a few weeks. Not to scare you, you get used to the new workload (even if you didnt open a textbook in hs) - but ull be laughing next year. Good luck on ur acceptance.
I don't think thats necessarily true. I took the three sciences and two maths and comp sci, all AP (Advanced Placement) with two spares, and I think Mac is pretty chilling...if you put a day or two of solid work a week, then you can more or less finish all your work, plus a lot of the classes are jokes (ie 1C03, 1P03, 1ZZ4)
Old 03-10-2010 at 11:22 PM   #26
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The concept of "finishing all your work" does not exist for anyone I know... Even the smartest guy with 12 average doesn't ever finish everything. It's about balancing because those work-binges are unhealthy. Even if it lowers your average by 1 grade point (maybe from 11 to 10) it's not worth it... Your activities need to be spread out.
Old 03-10-2010 at 11:31 PM   #27
lmasud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
The concept of "finishing all your work" does not exist for anyone I know... Even the smartest guy with 12 average doesn't ever finish everything. It's about balancing because those work-binges are unhealthy. Even if it lowers your average by 1 grade point (maybe from 11 to 10) it's not worth it... Your activities need to be spread out.
Well ya, you can never really finish "work", but I mean if you put in a day or two of solid work a week, then you can get the stuff thats due out of the way (ie CAPA, Matls Assignment, etc)...the amount of homework a someone does depends on the him/her alone
Boolean
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:11 AM   #28
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

now i dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but if your average is JUST above the engineering cut off average its better you are not let into engineering. believe me engineering is HARD if physics and math don't come naturally to you (like me). and its like what...over 60% of students change majors after first year?

im just saying- this is what i found from my experience. looking back, i would have been better off with an alternate offer rather than just getting into engineering, then a year nd $7000 later, switching to a major i actually like (and can understand nd do.)

basically what im saying is if you dont get in- its alright, its for the best!
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:41 AM   #29
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post
now i dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but if your average is JUST above the engineering cut off average its better you are not let into engineering. believe me engineering is HARD if physics and math don't come naturally to you (like me). and its like what...over 60% of students change majors after first year?

im just saying- this is what i found from my experience. looking back, i would have been better off with an alternate offer rather than just getting into engineering, then a year nd $7000 later, switching to a major i actually like (and can understand nd do.)

basically what im saying is if you dont get in- its alright, its for the best!

while it is hard, I'm going to have to disagree. I was JUST above the cutoff aswell and sure im no 80s student but I love this field even if it takes a while for certain concepts to solidify.

If engineering is something the threadstarter is interested it, its worth giving it a shot. Not to mention there are countless resources available for extra help.

While it is true alot of people switch out, that could be for an innumerable amount of reasons, personal or academic. If you like what you study, youll become accustomed to it.

But what do I know, im just a first year

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;