MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-11-2010 at 10:56 AM   #31
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
now i dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but if your average is JUST above the engineering cut off average its better you are not let into engineering. believe me engineering is HARD if physics and math don't come naturally to you (like me). and its like what...over 60% of students change majors after first year?

im just saying- this is what i found from my experience. looking back, i would have been better off with an alternate offer rather than just getting into engineering, then a year nd $7000 later, switching to a major i actually like (and can understand nd do.)

basically what im saying is if you dont get in- its alright, its for the best!
Yeah... I've seen students with 10+ in University drop out of engineering, I've also seen students who were top in their school in high school fail out of engineering. I'm the guy who got in with an 80 average, and absolutely LOVE engineering.
You may need to completely re-learn your study ethic, but if engineering is what you want, then push for it.
As for getting in... I think I got my acceptance in april?
Hard to remember, too long ago now.
Good luck, and make sure you get your math up to par now.
Old 03-11-2010 at 12:37 PM   #32
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
while it is hard, I'm going to have to disagree. I was JUST above the cutoff aswell and sure im no 80s student but I love this field even if it takes a while for certain concepts to solidify.

If engineering is something the threadstarter is interested it, its worth giving it a shot. Not to mention there are countless resources available for extra help.

While it is true alot of people switch out, that could be for an innumerable amount of reasons, personal or academic. If you like what you study, youll become accustomed to it.

But what do I know, im just a first year
I totally agree. My two lowest marks in my grade 12 year were Physics and Math, my highest ones were Chem and Bio...one would assume I would make a great Life Sci student. After coming to Uni, and seeing what the Life scis have to go through (ie all the reading and shit), I am very very glad that I didnt choose Life Sci. Engineering is hard, but its interesting and there is more work than reading, so if you;re passionate about it, you'll be prefectly fine no matter what your average is.
Old 03-11-2010 at 07:23 PM   #33
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

^^I Agree. You have to like the concept of improving designs, building, or some other aspect of engineering to do well in it. Its a lot of work and the only way to really survive is to enjoy at least some of that work...goes for any uni program. If you enjoy it, you get used to the workload fairly quickly
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:18 PM   #34
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Its funny because last year i thought i had no time. I come into Eng and i realize how much time i actually had. This year is a little different, a lot more studying...