MacInsiders Logo
Old 01-05-2010 at 02:27 PM   #1
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

Engineering Co-op
I didn't apply for co-op when I applied for Engineering last May. Is there any way I can apply for it this semester, and take the courses/sessions, and still be able to apply for a position for over the Summer Break?
Old 01-05-2010 at 02:38 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

There might be. But, alot of postings for the summer session are being posted now and end at the end of january. So go into the ECCS office and see if they have any sessions that end before jan so you can complete the course. Also make sure they say you will see postings when you go in

TedMosby says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 02:49 PM   #3
TedMosby

Okay, thanks! Do a lot of first-years get co-op placements, or only a few? I would understand upper year students being picked/preferred over first-years, but I hope it's not a minuscule amount that get placements. Cause $100 for not getting a placement is a lot. =/
Old 01-05-2010 at 06:49 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
Okay, thanks! Do a lot of first-years get co-op placements, or only a few? I would understand upper year students being picked/preferred over first-years, but I hope it's not a minuscule amount that get placements. Cause $100 for not getting a placement is a lot. =/
Sorry to break the news to you, but upper-years do get huge priority, and getting a job the summer after first-year is almost unheard of. The only co-op job you might get after first-year is one that doesn't actually have any technical aspects, like working for Venture camp in the summer.

It only makes sense though; if you're an employer and you've got a legion of desperate students looking for a job, you'd hire the most experienced ones first, then start working your way down. When you think about it, during the first hiring stage (ends around February 19th) you don't even know which discipline of Engineering you're going into yet.

On the plus side, you don't have to get 1EE0 done now, but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way. I think there are always sessions running, so your options are pretty wide. I don't know the specifics though.

I believe the $100 is charged at the beginning of the school year so you won't have to pay anything until next September, and the chances of you getting a job after second year is much higher.

TedMosby says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 01-05-2010 at 09:02 PM   #5
TedMosby

Alright, thanks! I guess a normal summer job will do.
Old 01-05-2010 at 10:09 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yeah, i dont know anyone who got a coop job last year. Hopefully this year we get jobs. Make use of that $100 we spent
Old 01-07-2010 at 03:46 PM   #7
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

Don't be too discouraged - I got a co-op placement after my first year, and have a few friends who also did. It all depends on what kind of experience you want. (lol, and I guess luck, and where you look.)
You also have the option of finding a position for yourself, and then seeing if it will count as co-op! (ie: OSCAR is noooot your only resource)
Old 01-07-2010 at 06:51 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Well, this guy I know who got a co-op job in his first year engineering. He had a 12 average and it did not involve any technical work but more like checking work done by others. Hired by hydro one.
Old 01-09-2010 at 11:26 AM   #9
andru

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney View Post
Don't be too discouraged - I got a co-op placement after my first year, and have a few friends who also did. It all depends on what kind of experience you want. (lol, and I guess luck, and where you look.)
You also have the option of finding a position for yourself, and then seeing if it will count as co-op! (ie: OSCAR is noooot your only resource)
I would be interested to know what these other resources are.
Old 01-09-2010 at 01:46 PM   #10
Disney

Liked: 2 Times

well networking is always a good one (family, friends, profs, anyone really), and there's emails that go out suggesting positions (i've gotten a few from women in engineering in the past), and there's always people that go around to classes and advertise jobs (especially for the summer).
and as for finding one yourself, its surprisingly easy to just go on people's websites and send out emails asking if they would be interested in having a coop student, if you are interested in their work (i've only done this for lab/research work though). This can lead to an interview, or more information about how to get one, or even just expand your network:p Also, (if you can't get a position) some people are willing to give tours and such if their work is interesting to you, and may tell you to contact them again in later years.
also, i've been told that you can literally just ask ur profs if they want help in their work/research (although, i've never tried this)
and in coop class, i'm pretty sure they said if there is a company you want to work for, you can check out their webite for job information too.
i guess these things take more time than looking on oscar, but for the stuff i've done, i've found it to be worth it:p