MacInsiders Logo
Old 04-14-2010 at 03:47 PM   #1
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

engineering at mac
well iuuno if i will make to mcmaster anymore. does anyone now wht is goin to happen now. i applied for civil engineering.

My marks:

Calculus 75 ( midterm)
Adv funciton- 82
Physics-81
English-75
Chem-89
Religion-81 (midterm)

Will they accept students after the midterms. Like for example at june with our final marks. Cause i now i can bring up my cal mark for sure above 80+. Anyone with any ideas.
Average 80.5 Mcmaster 81-84
is there any way to bump it up to 81.. ????

Thank u
Old 04-14-2010 at 03:54 PM   #2
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2708 0
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2672 2
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2664 5

We understand that you are worried, but these questions have been answered before...

EDIT: Even if you have to take a year off, it's not always a bad thing. Staying back an extra year is the only reason I am at Mac, and happy(somewhat) with what I am doing.
Old 04-14-2010 at 04:00 PM   #3
terryboy
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2708 0
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2672 2
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2664 5

We understand that you are worried, but these questions have been answered before...

EDIT: Even if you have to take a year off, it's not always a bad thing. Staying back an extra year is the only reason I am at Mac, and happy(somewhat) with what I am doing.
so when u stay another year back what courses did u take and do they care for reapting the course. Also i am wondering about summerschool, to retake adv function even though it is a good mark.
Old 04-14-2010 at 04:04 PM   #4
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryboy View Post
so when u stay another year back what courses did u take and do they care for reapting the course. Also i am wondering about summerschool.
For Mac, not sure about others, they didn't care. My first around in Gr 12 I skipped everything, barely passed most of my courses. Not something I was too proud of, but w/e. Stayed back, re-did just about everything, had a 56? or something % first time, about a 89% second time around. Mac just looks at your final marks, summer or regular, doesn't matter. My courses were Physics, Calc, Adv Func, English, Religion, Fitness Gym, Programming and one other I can't remember atm.
Old 04-14-2010 at 05:34 PM   #5
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryboy View Post
so when u stay another year back what courses did u take and do they care for reapting the course. Also i am wondering about summerschool, to retake adv function even though it is a good mark.
I stayed back a year last year and repeated functions, calc, and physics (some other courses aswell because I decided to stay in highschool for the full year).

However, If I didn't upgrade my marks I wouldn't have been accepted for sure. Just hope for the best and like what other people said, if you decided to stay back a year, its not that bad.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 04-14-2010 at 08:28 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Oh, and if no one told you, first year is common. So, only after that, will you get to pick your stream (aka, civil).
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:29 PM   #7
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Oh, and if no one told you, first year is common. So, only after that, will you get to pick your stream (aka, civil).
You'll also have to do fairly well in your first year. Not talking 90% and higher, but at least decent to get into civil. That's a reason a lot of people don't like the fact first year is general at mac, because some people don't get their first choice and end up in something they hate.
Old 04-14-2010 at 10:14 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Yup. And cutoffs vary from year to year.

I know biochem requires typically a 5.5-6, but i know someone who got in with a 4.5. Similar situation for biomed, etc. etc.
Old 04-14-2010 at 10:38 PM   #9
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Yup. And cutoffs vary from year to year.

I know biochem requires typically a 5.5-6, but i know someone who got in with a 4.5. Similar situation for biomed, etc. etc.
That also could be due to the free choice students, who are guaranteed into their second-year programs due to their high school grades (with the exception of Biomedical, of course).
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:19 PM   #10
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Ask your HS teachers to bump you up....I'm pretty sure mine did

Kelsey18 likes this.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:23 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Ask your HS teachers to bump you up....I'm pretty sure mine did
this is why the entitlement generation is messing up education rite

arathbon, temptingf8 like this.
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:27 PM   #12
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I think we all know that in HS, if your teachers like you, they will give you good marks-its sad, but true
Old 04-14-2010 at 11:32 PM   #13
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Terryboy, I'll be honest - you're not going to make it into McMaster Engineering. I hope you applied to Carleton.

Study hard and wait for your acceptance. Posting about it on a forum isnt going to change what it says.

Last edited by Chad : 04-21-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: COC Compliance

Entropy, Kelsey18, xxsumz all say thanks to ViktorVaughn for this post.

ahmedsu, Kelsey18 like this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:32 AM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey18 View Post
That also could be due to the free choice students, who are guaranteed into their second-year programs due to their high school grades (with the exception of Biomedical, of course).
Not necessarily. This guy im talking about went to the same highschool as me, so yeah.

And, ive never heard of this free choice, im pretty sure all Eng I students are treated equally, meaning you need a 4.0 to get into a 2nd year stream.
Old 04-15-2010 at 12:34 AM   #15
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Nope. Two of my roommates both had free choice for their second year program, so long as they kept a 4.0. It only didn't apply to Biomedical.
I'm surprised so few people have heard of this, I've talked to like 10 people who have it.