MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering and Society Inquiry Project Survey micadjems General Discussion 15 10-19-2010 11:52 PM
Engineering and Society LukeEngineer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-12-2010 12:33 PM

Engineering &Mgt? or Co-OP? or society?

Old 06-26-2009 at 02:35 PM   #1
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Engineering &Mgt? or Co-OP? or society?
Hey, I'll be in mac Eng come this sept and I was just wondering what people have to say on the three derivations of engineering that can be applied to after first year. Does anyone have pros/cons or just an opinion on any of: Eng&management, Co-op, Eng&society.

I appreciate all feedback thank you.
Old 06-26-2009 at 02:42 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Hey, I'll be in mac Eng come this sept and I was just wondering what people have to say on the three derivations of engineering that can be applied to after first year. Does anyone have pros/cons or just an opinion on any of: Eng&management, Co-op, Eng&society.

I appreciate all feedback thank you.
I'm only going into second year this year for engineering, but I've read a lot of posts on here and elsewhere from upper years.

Engineering and Management is good if you want to be on the business end. You take a lot of business courses alongside engineering courses, which extends your schooling by a year.

Co-op is just what it is... co-op. I don't think you even necessarily have to be in "co-op" to take co-op. You just work to learn about whatever field you're going into. I have a feeling people's experiences with this differ drastically.

Engineering and Society is good if you want to lighten your course load and potentially minor in something. I was thinking about society, but I don't think my stream has it (software and game design). This, like management, extends your schooling by a year.

That's all I can really say.

Good luck in first year! And as a tip for the future, make sure you do all the suggested problems for math 1Z04, even if it seems like review of high school

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-26-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:01 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I know a couple of Eng Management students and they really like that program.

Ultimately, you should just get a feel for what you enjoy the best. If you like business type programs, then Eng Management would probably be something you would enjoy.
Old 06-26-2009 at 03:13 PM   #4
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

I myself am going into Mechanical Engineering & Management Co-op II;

As such, I wouldn't really call Co-op a particular stream, as it is available to all engineers regardless of whether they are in Society, Management or just plain engineering.

My suggestion to you is to consider taking Econ 1B03 in your first year at the least. It'll introduce you to some minor things in Economics, and depending on how you take it, you might actually be more interested in going into the Management field. As Ownaginatios mentioned before, the management field will bump your time at university up a year, however, it streamlines the courses you would have taken in a straight out 4 year course for regular engineering, and distributes it across a 5 year course while throwing in some early econ and a ton of commerce. In short, it'll make things a bit more interesting for anyone that enjoys the business side of things.

You can check out more information on the Engineering disciplines here. Enjoy and welcome to engineering at McMaster.

Last edited by RoyK : 06-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.