MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to expect on 1CS3 Cultural Studies final exam jon.john23 Academics 3 11-28-2011 07:38 PM
any one taking 1CS3: Cultural studies? jon.john23 Academics 3 10-02-2011 03:24 PM
Criticial Theory and Cultural Studies 1CS3 textbook? jon.john23 Academics 1 09-01-2011 02:06 PM

English/Cultural Studies 1CS3

Old 06-10-2012 at 08:40 PM   #1
toocute

Liked: 4 Times

English/Cultural Studies 1CS3
Hello,
I was looking for a review on this course with Amber Dean. I have never had her so I wanted to know what her courses are like, and in particular this course. I have never taken an English course, I wanted to know the difficulty level of this course as well.

Thank You
Old 07-02-2012 at 11:43 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

I took this course in term one and dropped it on the drop date. Dr. Amber was not the instructor (I can't remember my instuctors name , i think it was somthing like Susan...O'Brien).

This course was not "my thing", i didnt enjoy one bit. The prof wasn't very effective in my opinion, i never really learned any thing in that class. The book was written by the proff as well, which was also not much help.

With all the participation marks and 2 essays, this course isn't all that bad, but the key is to stay on top of the readings, as there is ALOT! Every week. The first essay we did was pretty easy and alot of ppl did well. The second one required you to read quite a bit of the book and extra material, that she posted, based on journals articles.

Tutorials were extremely engaging, I was lucky enough to get an awesome TA. We would have alot of disscussions on current events, pop culture, Lady Gaga, MJ, ...

I wasn't around for the final but, i dont think it was bad. They posted a list of key definitions that they required us to memorize, and they would keep reviewing and revising it every tut, and there is plenty of help available. That along with doing the readings (at least once) would be good for the final.

I forgot to mention, no tests for this class.

on a scale of 1 to 10 of hardness (10 being hardest), this class was in my opinion a 7/10.
I wouldn't suggest this course to an Engineering student.

good luck making ur decision

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-02-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2012 at 11:49 PM   #3
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocute View Post
Hello,
I was looking for a review on this course with Amber Dean. I have never had her so I wanted to know what her courses are like, and in particular this course. I have never taken an English course, I wanted to know the difficulty level of this course as well.

Thank You
While I haven't taken a course with Dean before, I did take this in my first year. In all honesty, it's a fantastic (and very interesting) course, but I would suggest that you don't consider this a typical English class, because it's definitely not that. The majority of the class is based on Cultural Theory (i.e. gender, sexuality, pop culture, mass media, etc.) rather than fictional interpretations of novels. For that reason then, there is a lot of interaction with the material, because you need to really understand the authors' theories to truly grasp the course. I've taken a lot of English course, obviously (-points to major-), but this one is definitely the most difficult one that I've taken just because, at the time, it was so different to me.