MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need labcoat and goggles for GEOG 1HA3 and ENVIR SC 1G03? RememberTwce First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-18-2010 10:20 AM
Notes for ENVIR SC 1G03 & GEOG 1HB3 civil General Discussion 3 09-15-2009 06:25 PM

Envir Sc 1G03

Old 07-05-2009 at 10:24 AM   #1
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

Envir Sc 1G03
So i've been looking around and have not been able to find much about this course but have heard quite a bit about 1A03 and 1B03. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me insight on what to expect in taking this course. Any information at all would be appreciated
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:04 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAcc View Post
So i've been looking around and have not been able to find much about this course but have heard quite a bit about 1A03 and 1B03. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me insight on what to expect in taking this course. Any information at all would be appreciated
Thanks!
Never took this course, but this should help a little:

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~ge...g03/index.html

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~ge...se_Outline.pdf

NickAcc says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:15 PM   #3
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

Yeah, I'm taking the course as well, and I have no idea what to expect... But from what I've heard, it looks like the best one of the three, that is, the most interesting. A friend of mine took 1A03 and she said it was super easy, but quite irritating... You know, one of those classes where the material is ridiculously easy, but the course is made out to be very very difficult. We shall see...
Old 07-05-2009 at 12:26 PM   #4
NickAcc

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks Jhan! The outlines gave me a much better idea of what to expect from the course!
As for 1B03 and 1A03 i heard basically the same thing as your friend told you about it, 1G03 looks quite interesting and i am happy with my choice now. Also i'm glad i have this class since it is the prerequisite to the majority of the second year environmental science courses which i am considering as a minor

Old 07-05-2009 at 04:52 PM   #5
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Hey guys, I've taken both Envir 1A03 and Envir 1G03. I thought 1G03 was by far the easiest one, however the material was not that interesting. I felt it was VERY dry, however I'm not a HUGE fan of rocks. I didn't find 1A03 that easy, there were many more concepts unlike 1G03 which had little to no concepts. There's mainly memorization in 1G03 but nothing too hard to handle.

I found the hardest part of 1G03 were the labs. There was one every week last year and the hardest were the rock/mineral identification labs. Gosh, I never want to do that again. If it's the same as last year, you'll have two rock/mineral identification labs and for those, be prepared! Do a little bit of research before hand - look at pictures of rocks/minerals and get a feel of the different characteristics.

Hope that helps. 1G03 is a bird course, especially if you have John Maclaclin (sp?). Attend the lectures! You'll be tempted to skip because everything is in the textbook but John will tell you in class what not to memorize, what won't be on tests and most importantly he gives soo many hints for what's on the midterm/exam throughout the year.

_Luu_ says thanks to jachill for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 05:20 PM   #6
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Thanks for the info. I'm taking this course as well, and I wasn't too sure what to expect either.