MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has Anyone Taken Environmental Science 2WO3?? TLulu Academics 5 01-02-2011 10:36 AM
environmental science 3b03 ims316 Academics 1 09-13-2010 05:08 PM
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM

Environmental Science & undergrad questions?

Old 01-07-2011 at 12:05 PM   #1
BernaBee

Liked: 0 Times

Environmental Science & undergrad questions?
Hey Guys !

I'm currently in first year environmental science and didn't do too well in my 1st semester, didnt fail courses I just have an overall average of 5. Now, I realize that puts me in jeopardy with choosing level II programs as some of the ones are limited enrollment and need an average of 6+. I was really interesting in Hon. Bio & environmental science however if i don't have the average for it I decided to go into Hon. Environmental Science. I have gone in to speak to an adviser (Nic Armstrong) and he explain to me what shadowing is and the possibility of getting into a level II program by the end of 2nd year without loosing an undergraduate year.
I just have a couple of questions:

1) Hon. Bio & environmental Science means that you're majoring in two subjects right?
2) If i just do Hon. Environmental science and minor in bio will the minor be indicated anywhere on my diploma ? Is it better to do a major or a minor in bio (in terms of future job opportunities)
3) If i get into Hon. Environmental science and decide to want to do Hon. Bio & Enviro Sci can i shadow that program in second year and then apply for hon. bio & enviro by the end of second year?
4) do many people shadow in their 2nd year or am i the only one in risk ?
5) when i get into an Hon. program what is the needed average to stay in the program 4+ or 6+ ?

Also, i just have general environmental science questions for the future:
- hows the job market in environmental science, is there a demand?
- you probably have to go into a graduate program/ college to specialize in order to get a job in the field (in particular environmental consultant) ?
- can you do anything in enviro sci after finishing undergrad ?

(Some of these questions may sound obvious to some but honestly, I am the 1st in my family to attend university and I just wanted some advice about finishing undergrad and if theres any good job opportunities right after it?)

Thanks for the feedback !
Old 01-07-2011 at 12:19 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Hey!

1) Yes, as far as I am aware if you are in the Bio and enviro science program you are doing a double major.
2)Minors aren`t indicated on your diploma however you can indicate in on your resume. So, if you really want the bio and enviro part then a double major would be more beneficial than a major and a minor.
3) I may be wrong but I think for both honours programs you need a 6+ average, so if you don't achieve that you can take the regualr environmental science program without honours and shadow the bio and enviro program second year.
4) A LOT of people are in the same situation as you so don`t panic and work hard this semester and you never know what can happen.
5) To stay in the honours program you need to maintain a 6 average, however doing this in upper years is a lot easier than in first year.

As far as your job related questions there are a ton of jobs in this field with a lot coming in the future as well. If you are looking to do consulting it is definitely possible to get hired right after undergrad, but a lot of people do choose to go on and do a masters degre...its all personal preferance though. I would really recommend making an appointment to talk to Luc Bernier who is the environmental science advisor, he is really helpful and you will leave feeling a LOT better about yourself. His email is berniejm"mcmaster.ca
Hope that helped!

BernaBee says thanks to sf for this post.

taylojl likes this.
Old 01-07-2011 at 09:52 PM   #3
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Listen to Steph, go talk to Luc. He is the most helpful academic advisor I've ever met. He knows much more about these programs than Nic Armstrong.

Many people shadow programs, especially in the SGES. Don't worry about it. You are definately not the only one. I know people who switched programs as late as the end of third year.

My advice to you about jobs is to look up the type of employment you are interested in and to find out what type of background that job requires. I have peers that have landed jobs just based on a few hydrology courses. Luc Bernier has a list of potential jobs as well.

Depending on the job you are interested in, you may need to take a graduate diploma. For example if you are interested in Environmental assesment, it may be useful to take the one year program through Centenial or Niagara College. If you are looking for a more research based career you may need a masters.

Don't worry about this stuff right now. Focus on finding what area of environmental sciences appeals to you. Apply for summer jobs in the field, or maybe in a lab.
:tree:

BernaBee says thanks to taylojl for this post.
Old 01-08-2011 at 11:07 AM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

More opinions are always better...

1) Yes and No. It means you are in a combined program and that you will be taking a lot of Bio and Esci courses. It does not mean you get two pieces of paper at the end of graduation.
2) As far as I know, minors are not indicated on the diploma. I would say having "Bio and ESci" vs "Bio with ESci minor or Esci with Bio minor" would be more attractive. In the first example, both Bio and Esci are your major, as opposed to a minor on the side. I should note also that they actual subject of your B.Sc is really not all that important in many cases.
3) Yes. You will need good second year marks to do this. You might also need to go to summer school after first year, because you are not guaranteed spots in the actual courses.
4) A lot shadow, but Bio/Esci is not a very popular program in my experience. You should have a good shot if you bump your marks.
5) I think its six, but I'm not sure. It should be on the course calender somewhere, under academic regulations.

As for job market, I have no idea. I wold guess its pretty good, with green being all trendy, there are probably a lot of emerging jobs. The other two I don't know, I've never looked into the field. I doubt it requires a MSc to get a job. It's probably similar to the bio department, in that an MSc makes you much more competitive.

Last edited by britb : 01-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.

BernaBee says thanks to britb for this post.