MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-20-2012 at 04:40 PM   #106
Amardeep_S
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

On another note...

Why is it that specific people's posts are censored on a forum intended to be used by university students? I called Twinkle an idiot (an obvious personal attack) and it wasn't censored, yet other posts which do not include anything more than normal discussion are quickly taken off... No one finds this wierd?

I don't agree with a lot of what Twinkle says, but I would think that as adults we could tolerate his opinon... just a thought

Flash AhhAhh, lelekb like this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:10 PM   #107
Flash AhhAhh

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
That is assuming that all your opinions are completely correct. which goes to show that you are completely ignorant to the opinions of others and no matter what your personal views have to be right in your eyes. from what you just said there is no way you can argue this point without contradicting your previous statement

Your just deeming anyone who opposes your opinion to be a sexist just because they dont agree with your views.
No she isn't. That is a gross extrapolation of her statements. She is stating that there is a huge gender privilege discrepancy between males and females and anyone who doesn't believe that is ignorant of the sexist oppression women are under.
Anyone who doesn't believe that, in terms of our culture and society, women are not properly represented or treated equally/considered equal to men are sexist and ignorant.
Anyone who thinks things are fine and equal and women have enough "equality" and are just looking for more than they deserve (ie "they never have enough equality") are delusional and detached from the world. There is no such thing as "never enough equality", because the end point of that is true equality, which is all feminists want to achieve for all women. Anything beyond the point of true equality is privilege over another which, again, is not what feminists want!

http://finallyfeminism101.wo rdpres...sm-definition/
http://finallyfeminism101.wo rdpres...s-towards-men/
http://finallyfeminism101.wo rdpres...going-too-far/
http://finallyfeminism101.wo rdpres...ale-privilege/

Last edited by Flash AhhAhh : 06-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:37 PM   #108
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
WTF is this point even trying to be
just because he understands racism/sexism (he does not) doesn't excuse anything
if anything it's even worst, congratulations, you're not an idiot you're just another sexist ass who doesn't care they're sexist?

and I'm so sick of the "well thats just how the world is" are you guys sheep?!?

anybody who really believes that everybody has the same opportunities are incredibly blinded
What are you talking about ? I am not sure how to respond to your post, my post clearly explains itself...and how did I become sexist?
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:44 PM   #109
Amardeep_S
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
What are you talking about ? I am not sure how to respond to your post, my post clearly explains itself...and how did I become sexist?
It seems like you have a reading comprehension problem (this is the second time you've failed to read and understand what someone has said)... She wasn't calling you Jim1 sexist, she was calling making a statement towards anyone who knowingly made employment decisions based on the sex of the individual they were looking to hire. In this case that 'sexist ass' was Twinkle... not you

lelekb says thanks to Amardeep_S for this post.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:52 PM   #110
lux

Liked: 318 Times

just skimmed through the last couple posts, so I may be slightly off topic here but I do have something that I would like to mention.

I think that feminism is outdated, especially in Canada where women are surfacing with more job prerequisites and educational advantages.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...d-of-men/8135/

I think 'men's rights' should be taken more seriously. Young boys are failing in schools and are doing worse in the academic world. Why may this be? Educational programs are cutting sports and practical experience courses which men tend to excel at. English courses have reading syllabuses that tend to have female protagonists, and require deep emotional expression that females are more suited to. This was pretty noticeable as a guy struggling through high school.

Anyways, my point is that men are falling by the wayside for many reasons. - overstimulation by internet websites, video games, smartphones. Equality is just a word. I think that there are differences between men and women that need to be addressed and that today's world strongly favours women while men are struggling because of this.

Thanks.

Chris23, Eternal Fire, jim1 all say thanks to lux for this post.

Chris23, Eternal Fire like this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:54 PM   #111
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amardeep_S View Post
It seems like you have a reading comprehension problem (this is the second time you've failed to read and understand what someone has said)
You know, it's none of your business if I have a reading comprehension problem or not ! That was very rude of you Mr. Singh.
Old 06-20-2012 at 05:59 PM   #112
Amardeep_S
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
You know, it's none of your business if I have a reading comprehension problem or not ! That was very rude of you Mr. Singh.
I dislike ignorance, so I couldn't help myself from pointing out that you've now twice jumped to post your thoughts and both times contributed nothing of relevance because you apparently can't read...
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:05 PM   #113
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
I dislike ignorance, so I couldn't help myself from pointing out that you've now twice jumped to post your thoughts and both times contributed nothing of relevance because you apparently can't read...
"and both times contributed nothing of relevance" << that my friend is crossing the line, its none of your business to judge whether my posts where or relevance or not, and clearly they were (maybe not to you, but at least to me, and that's what's important) !
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:09 PM   #114
Amardeep_S
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
just skimmed through the last couple posts, so I may be slightly off topic here but I do have something that I would like to mention.

I think that feminism is outdated, especially in Canada where women are surfacing with more job prerequisites and educational advantages.

I think 'men's rights' should be taken more seriously. Young boys are failing in schools and are doing worse in the academic world. Why may this be? Educational programs are cutting sports and practical experience courses which men tend to excel at. English courses have reading syllabuses that tend to have female protagonists, and require deep emotional expression that females are more suited to. This was pretty noticeable as a guy struggling through high school.

Anyways, my point is that men are falling by the wayside for many reasons. - overstimulation by internet websites, video games, smartphones. Equality is just a word. I think that there are differences between men and women that need to be addressed and that today's world strongly favours women while men are struggling because of this.

Thanks.
I haven't fully read your article yet, but I'll get on that.

I don't see any problem with what you're saying, if it is true that men and women innately excel at different things then it should be no wonder than certain fields are male dominated and other female dominated. I'm not arguing that every field should have equally 50% men and 50% women. If there is an actual biological reason as to why women should excel at a certain field and men at others, I see nothing wrong with skewed proportions.

That being said 1) There is no innate reason why females should do worse in math intensive courses than males. If there is, it hasn't been discovered yet... in fact as I've pointed out before in terms of university degrees, the split in Math degrees is roughly 50/50 (with slight less than 50% being females).

2) Regardless of the number of each sex in a field... if a women does the same work as a male they should be paid the same and if they are both as competent as each other, theoretically they should both be given the same attention by their field as each other. Current data suggests this is not the case. Wage disparity is something like 70 cents for every dollar a male earns for the same job. Also the number of females in management positions (take a look at the CEO's of the top say 100 companies in forbes, im pretty sure you won't find many females)... That's the unequal part imo. And it's what I think is the problem with females in engineering, not so much that females are less suited for it, but rather it's as a poster above put it in a better way than my self, systemic discrimination...

But anywho... i'll make sure to read that massive article soon

Flash AhhAhh says thanks to Amardeep_S for this post.

lelekb likes this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:11 PM   #115
Amardeep_S
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
"and both times contributed nothing of relevance" << that my friend is crossing the line, its none of your business to judge whether my posts where or relevance or not, and clearly they were (maybe not to you, but at least to me, and that's what's important) !
Well one was directed at me... where you suggested my comment was wrong by reinforcing the statement I made. It's not crossing any line to point that out a comment with zero relevance when it's based on a misunderstanding of what the person you are criticizing said...

Also, you should quote me in context... I didn't just state they were irrelvent points... i explained why I felt they were not relevant.
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:15 PM   #116
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Well one was directed at me... where you suggested my comment was wrong by reinforcing the statement I made. It's not crossing any line to point that out a comment with zero relevance when it's based on a misunderstanding of what the person you are criticizing said...
How is it of zero relevance? Clearly it isn't -_-
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:15 PM   #117
lelekb

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post

Thanks.
1. On english syllabuses. I'm not sure where you're getting this since most english syllabuses tend to be "classics" most of which feature male protagonists. But if this is true that's interesting. Regardless, I don't think that girls and boys are incapable of identifying with protagonists of the other gender although it would be best to have books which showcase diverse protagonists and experiences. But I believe a recent study of popular media showed that females are still grossly under represented in movies, tv shows etc. It was conducted by Geena Davis' foundation or something I forget.

2. Guys failing school because sports programs are being cut. If a guy was getting into UNI solely based on his PE grade then I dont think its the right place for him in the fist place. I'm not sure what you mean by practical experience courses. You mean shop class?

3. Guys getting distracted by video games etc. These things are not actual barrier in the same way sexism is for girls. Girls are just as likely to bomb a class because they spend all their time on the internet. These are negative personal attributes that not all guys have. And I'm talking actually failing and getting no jobs because you videogame too hard. Last I heard gamers were annoyed with that untrue stereotype.

4. Feminism does try to eliminate the negative effects men face as a result of gender roles. There's no need for Men's right as a separate cause IMO. Most people who preach it seem to be offended by feminism and thus do not want to be associated with it.

Flash AhhAhh says thanks to lelekb for this post.

artsy, Flash AhhAhh like this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 06:17 PM   #118
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

Thread closed due to its increasingly personal nature.