MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mcmaster classes vs. other school classes drpatel General Discussion 2 04-27-2012 02:20 PM
Trade Anthro 1Z03 (Evening) for Economics 1BB3 (Evening) melicam Academics 0 12-14-2011 03:02 PM
Evening Classes MichaelScarn Academics 21 07-20-2011 08:34 PM
Commuters: evening classes missscarlett First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 06-07-2011 11:24 PM
Evening classes cancelled 3/23 eleduc Academics 5 03-23-2011 01:23 PM

Evening classes

Old 08-30-2012 at 01:35 PM   #1
Ever

Liked: 0 Times

Evening classes
I got 3 evening classes in the 1st terms straight. They all are 3 hrs long. Run from 7pm-10pm. But I have most of my mornings off. Do you think this is a bad idea? What’s your opinion on this?

Last edited by Ever : 08-31-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2012 at 01:46 PM   #2
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

wake up in the morning... study, study, study till class... then go to class, go back home and sleep, then repeat the cycle. it actually seems like a really good thing. so much time for yourself. you just need to make really good use of your morning time.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 08-30-2012 at 02:31 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found that no matter how good of a Prof it is, 3 hours in a row for one material is too much unless your all caught up or ahead. For 1 hour of class I usually have to study a bit to better understand it, but if it is a harder class than it gets more confusing.

If it is an easier class though, it shouldn't be too bad and it gives you more time in the day to study and make a better routine!

Also if you don't have morning class, still make a schedule for yourself otherwise you find that without class, you will waste a lot of time. I am in engineering, but in first year I had a semester when my earliest class was 11 and I got really lazy in the morning since I wasn't organized enough
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:00 PM   #4
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

I've never had more than one night class in a term before, but it would be great if you study well in the mornings or afternoons. You could sleep soon after going to class and wake up at a normal time to study But make sure you don't get lazy and oversleep.

I tend to study in the evenings and 3 hours of class kind of drains you so I end up not working as much.
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:33 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

It really all depends on you. Some people are fine with night classes, others are not.
Old 08-30-2012 at 03:50 PM   #6
Nicki

I had 3 night classes in a row last year and all i can say is you manage your time well. Use your mornings and afternoons for assignments and studying. Don't waste your days and you'll be fine.
The worst thing about night classes is sitting there for three hours taking notes. Even the most interesting lectures can hold your attention for only so long. Hopefully you can manage to actually pay attention throughout your entire class.
Old 08-30-2012 at 04:39 PM   #7
Jeremy

3 night classes in a row is a lot, but again like everyone else is saying, you need to make sure you organize your time well. Personally I do most of my homework late at night, so night courses aren't the greatest for me. but if you like to do homework during the day, then that is a perfect schedule.
Old 08-30-2012 at 05:52 PM   #8
xxorianna

Liked: 5 Times

I've got evening classes 4 days straight, all 3 hours long as well, same time as OP. I've never really been a good time management person, so this will be interesting.
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:50 PM   #9
richie1234

i hope they have a break or something in between ....that would be much needed
Old 08-30-2012 at 07:07 PM   #10
Ever

thankx everyone

Last edited by Ever : 08-31-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2012 at 07:32 PM   #11
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever View Post
One of my parents concern about night classes is safety. Since I live off-campus and it takes about 5min to walk home. Do you think Hamilton is a safe neighbourhood to walk home alone at night?
My parents worried bout the same thing as well. You'll realize that a lot of people will have a night class at the same time as you that end at the same time. So you'll see lots of people either walking home or taking the bus. So its not that bad.

Or if your really worried, could always walk with a friend or call SWAT ( student walk something something) yeah

Ever likes this.
Old 08-30-2012 at 07:44 PM   #12
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie1234 View Post
i hope they have a break or something in between ....that would be much needed
Most classes do have a break about half way through, maybe 5-15 minutes depending on your prof/lecture.

And in regards to safety, as another poster already mentioned, you'll be leaving in packs of 100 haha, and the streets are usually pretty populated even at 10pm
Old 08-30-2012 at 08:30 PM   #13
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
One of my parents concern about night classes is safety. Since I live off-campus and it takes about 5min to walk home. Do you think Hamilton is a safe neighbourhood to walk home alone at night?
Dress homely.

*puts on flame suit*

xxorianna likes this.
Old 08-30-2012 at 08:53 PM   #14
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Use this: http://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-d...ant-team-swhat

I really don't understand why more people don't.

Ever, xxorianna like this.
Old 08-30-2012 at 09:53 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Hamilton isn't a neighbourhood, it's a rather big city. There are a few neighbourhoods around Mac that students live in, and some are sketchier than others, so it sort of depends on that.
5min away though and you should be totally fine, as someone else said, around campus especially the streets are still pretty busy at 10pm. If you don't feel safe, use SWHAT (link above).
Also take the time to follow the news in Hamilton. That way you stay up to date on sketchy people in your area (there was recently a string of sexual assaults in Westdale, and a man on a bike with a gun mugging people in Ainslie Woods area) so at least you're aware.