MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rice is not a side-dish (I): Everyday Stir-fry! lilchoconut Recipes 0 08-07-2009 04:38 PM

Everyday is a loss

Old 10-25-2010 at 11:20 PM   #46
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Can OP just tell us if he's actually depressed for just "shit man, I need a girlfriend" or "TROLLOLOLOLOL"
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:21 PM   #47
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
"TROLLOLOLOLOL"
Im thinking this, since he hasn't been back.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:24 PM   #48
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yup, because I haven't had cancer than nothing that could have ever happened to me could ever compare to it.

Subjectivity, my friend. Learn it. Things are only as horrible as you order them to be.

I'm not looking down on ANYBODY. Once again, disagreement = looking down on somebody. I just love this site more and more every day.

You don't NEED a counselor to get through depression, and you don't NEED medications. It's just the easy way.

But let's go on making assumptions. You're assuming OP is depressed. I'm assuming OP is a fuggo that no girl would ever be interested in, so it's easier to blame it on "depression."
To quote you looking down on OP
Quote:
I will never understand why people's happiness is contingent on finding a girlfriend/boyfriend.

What a stupid thread.

And yes, he should "man up" because plenty of other people have gone through depression the same way.

"herp derp I'm sad I'm just gonna keep doing the same thing that makes me sad and ***** about it."

Change your environment.
Quoted verbatim. Explain how this is not looking down on the OP's problem as being trivial.

Also, your bit on how issues are subjective is not exactly good support for your behavior. Because problems are subjective something you see as trivial can mean the world to someone else. So when you look down on a problem as trivial, when it means the world to someone else you are being a horrible person.

In regards to the OP, yes we can assume he is not depressed and just a drama queen. But there is the legitimate possibility they are legitimately in a dark place and came here seeking some help. based on the low post count we can assume he is a new member and doesn't realize that the MI forums are not really a good place for life advice. Now, belittling a drama queen is no big deal, but picking on a depressed person seeking help could have serious repercussions for that individual. Have you not read the news enough lately to see how many depressed people commit suicide over incidents on the internet that most of us would view as something you could just 'man up' and get over? If I have to pick between making the assumption where none of my actions matter or the assumption that has the potential to help out a person in need(or in your case harm and insult), which do you think I would pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Im thinking this, since he hasn't been back.
If you were seeking serious advices and read teh first few responses this thread garnered, would you come back? Supposedly he's also online so he might be lurking.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-25-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:27 PM   #49
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
If it's real depression: seek help, go to actual professional or if you want to do it urself, immerse yourself in something, hit the gym, heck i'll even go with you, seriously.

If your just feeling like I sometimes feel, aka, "**** man, I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO CUDDLE WITH" then you just gotta stop thinking about those thoughts, I know how it feels man. I've had my fair share of "heart breaks" and lonely times, heck to be honest, I feel like shit now but I just keep telling myself I gotta get over this, theres nothing I can do.

Tlr: take care of yourself, let time flip the pages of life for you but write your own tale
i like how you said "let time flip the pages of your life"

killza says thanks to Desda for this post.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:29 PM   #50
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post

Quoted verbatim. Explain how this is not looking down on the OP's problem as being trivial.

Also, your bit on how issues are subjective is not exactly good support for your behavior. Because problems are subjective something you see as trivial can mean the world to someone else. So when you look down on a problem as trivial, when it means the world to someone else you are being a horrible person.

In regards to the OP, yes we can assume he is not depressed and just a drama queen. But there is the legitimate possibility they are legitimately in a dark place and came here seeking some help. based on the low post count we can assume he is a new member and doesn't realize that the MI forums are not really a good place for life advice. Now, belittling a drama queen is no big deal, but picking on a depressed person seeking help could have serious repercussions for that individual. Have you not read the news enough lately to see how many depressed people commit suicide over incidents on the internet that most of us would view as something you could just 'man up' and get over? If I have to pick between making the assumption where none of my actions matter or the assumption that has the potential to help out a person in need(or in your case harm and insult), which do you think I would pick?

If you were seeking serious advices and read teh first few responses this thread garnered, would you come back? Supposedly he's also online so he might be lurking.
a) There's a reason why I didn't wear purple
b) There's a reason why my facebook status said, I quote, "Isn't going to wear purple tomorrow. Why? Because I imagine if I actually gave a **** about bullying, I wouldn't be a lazy ****ing slacktivist."

Brb fapping. You know just what to say to me.

telling somebody anything can be fixed =/= looking down. js.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-25-2010 at 11:29 PM   #51
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post

i feel like this ones hitting a little too close to home. you sure that isn't your other account
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:31 PM   #52
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
i feel like this ones hitting a little too close to home. you sure that isn't your other account
I can see how one might build that inference, but I'll point out we're allowed one connection per ip address and both the OP and I are online. As I pointed out in my first post in the thread, I'm simply appalled by the lack of decency many people have here.
Quote:
a) There's a reason why I didn't wear purple
b) There's a reason why my facebook status said, I quote, "Isn't going to wear purple tomorrow. Why? Because I imagine if I actually gave a **** about bullying, I wouldn't be a lazy ****ing slacktivist."
Sadly I must agree with you on the anti-slacktivism viewpoint. I also did not wear purple for 2 very good reason. #1) I don't support slacktivists who pretend to care for one day of the year and don't actually do anything to improve the problem #2) I don't own any purple. God I was amazed by how many guys own purple shirts.. However, I don't believe in being part of the problem to begin with.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:36 PM   #53
keish

Liked: 9 Times

It doesn't really matter if you're clinically depressed or just feeling lonely, 'just manning up' generally won't work because most people know when they're lying to themselves just to feel better. Actually doing something to take your focus off of the 'I'm lonley' mentality to focus it on something positive will do a lot more for you.

Finding someone takes a lot of time, and believe me I'm just as shy/have as much approach anxiety as you do, or at least did when I was in 1st/2nd year. The best thing to do is find something you enjoy doing and spend your energy working on that first so that you can feel proud and confident about yourself again and realize that you're an awesome guy and that it really doesn't matter if any girl in lecture is interested in talking to you or not. That's when you'll be comfortable enough to talk to her on some sort of normal level where you're not needy or desperate, because that's just going to be awkward for both you and her and drive you to feel even worse about yourself afterwards.

Working out can be a great idea because it makes you feel good, helps you sleep better and you'll look better which makes girls more inclined to listen to you when you talk to them (superficial or not.. it's true). Working out didn't really work for me cause I'm pretty lazy and have trouble getting motivated, but it could work for you.

Also, just having a good group of guy friends you can feel comfortable talking to when you're feeling down makes a big difference. I have no idea what your social circle is like but even when you have a gf it's important to have your own friends too so that you aren't dependent on each other for ALL social company because you'll likely end up getting sick of ALWAYS being around each other. Even couples who are head over heels in love with each other will go through this at times, it's just the way people are.

Hopefully that helps, if not I really suggest going to CSD (Center for student development) in the basement of the student centre. I've gone there before and they're really nice people to talk to, and they aren't going to push you on meds or anything if you don't want to... which I would only recommend if you find yourself completely unable to cope with life day-to-day.

Really just cheer up though, if you look around you in on campus I pretty much guarantee 1 in every 3 people either is or has gone through what you are at some point, so just realize you're not alone out there.

Last edited by keish : 10-25-2010 at 11:42 PM.

crazyfree likes this.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:36 PM   #54
killza

Liked: 105 Times

If the OP is reading this:

dude, you gotta provide us with some feed back, what do you think about the advices? How are you feeling?

If you want to start talking girls.. i dunno man, COMMUNICATION would come in handle you know.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:41 PM   #55
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Wouldnt you rather give someone the benefit of the doubt, rather than assume they aren't being serious?
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:48 PM   #56
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Wouldnt you rather give someone the benefit of the doubt, rather than assume they aren't being serious?
No one said anything about them not being serious (at least not as far as I can remember). I just hate when people assume that being sad = depressed. If he truly is, great. I'll cut him some slack.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:55 PM   #57
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
No one said anything about them not being serious (at least not as far as I can remember). I just hate when people assume that being sad = depressed. If he truly is, great. I'll cut him some slack.

Werent there people that said he wasn't serious/trollling or whatever? something along those lines.
I know what you mean about the sad=depressed thing. It annoys me too. As dramatic as OP might have sounded, sometimes that's actually how people get their point across. I just wouldnt ever want to find out that I took something serious, light heartedly.
Old 10-25-2010 at 11:59 PM   #58
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowHere View Post
Everyday is a loss. I go home and feel death's mockery on my shoulders. Why couldn't I approach any girls, meet them, get to know the ones I like?
Drink your sorrows away...
Old 10-26-2010 at 12:02 AM   #59
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Werent there people that said he wasn't serious/trollling or whatever? something along those lines.
I know what you mean about the sad=depressed thing. It annoys me too. As dramatic as OP might have sounded, sometimes that's actually how people get their point across. I just wouldnt ever want to find out that I took something serious, light heartedly.
One person asked IF he was a troll, but thats it.

Im not taking it lightheartedly. Im just not gonna coddle someone on the assumption that they're depressed when they come across like every other emo kid on the interwebz.
Old 10-26-2010 at 12:03 AM   #60
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Drink your sorrows away...
Agreed. Works 1000% of the time.