MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
expecting a reply? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-29-2008 09:09 AM
Calculator Pls Reply!! **jewel 03** First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 02:22 PM

Everyone Look and Reply Please!

Old 03-05-2008 at 10:39 AM   #16
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Haha, yep, I was going to say the exact same thing regarding Western - as someone who's gone to both, I can say that Western is more the exception in that there is a disproportionate amount of partying that goes on there compared to the other schools. By that standard, everywhere else is "nerdy".

One thing that could fuel that perception is that Mac does seem to focus itself more on the science/engineering side of academia and neglect the arts/humanities a bit, if those count as "nerdier" subjects... So using those standards, if you want nerdy, go to Waterloo :-p
Old 03-05-2008 at 01:44 PM   #17
pinkpony

Liked: 0 Times

haha yeah i know about western and im not looking for a crazy party school. and i used the word nerdy in quotations because it's what ive been told a couple times.
thanks again for the replies!

oh and what res buildings would you say are better?
Old 03-05-2008 at 02:55 PM   #18
Cippi

It's hard to say which building is "better", although it is an oft-asked question. I say that because they all have their own particular character and advantages/disadvantages. Most incoming students immediately jump on the newer=better bandwagon (and I won't lie, it is often nice to be in a (relatively) shiny new building) but more than anything else it's the *people* you meet in residence that make your year great, not the physical building itself.

Also, the reality is that it doesn't always matter what you put as your building choices when you apply - you could be placed anywhere, due to the nature of the lottery system. So, I wouldn't get your heart set on one particular building before finding out where you are.

Apartment-style buildings (Bates, Keyes) are nice if you want to cook occasionally and want a little more space, but you tend to meet less people than you would in a traditional-style, so that's something to keep in mind. For the traditional-style ones, most of the buildings are very different, with variances in room size and bathroom style being the biggest considerations. I'd say to check out the buildings on the Housing website for more info, or try to book a tour and see some for yourself (the only issue with the tour is that they usually just show you one preselected building, but you could always do what I did when I was shopping for universities - just hang around outside the front doors of the building and introduce yourself to a student going in, and ask nicely if you could see their room - DO NOT just follow someone into a building, though, since that's a no-no for security reasons).

Anyway, hope that helped.
Old 03-05-2008 at 04:44 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup, like Matt/Pops said; each residence has it's own disadvantages and advantages; as does each style of room (single, double, triple, quad, apartment etc).

And your residence experience really is about the people you meet there. You may get a really awesome room...but what's the point if you have no one to socialize with?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-05-2008 at 08:17 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

With that said, I suppose that means that people who live off-campus are really detached, unless if they're on campus all the time.
Old 03-05-2008 at 08:25 PM   #21
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Detatched as in...don't participate in extra-curriculars?

If so...no. There are many more upper year students who live off campus in comparison to first years...they're the execs in clubs, organizing intramurals, working on campus etc.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-05-2008 at 08:31 PM   #22
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

About 2 months after I applied for the second time.
Old 03-05-2008 at 09:29 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Detatched as in...don't participate in extra-curriculars?

If so...no. There are many more upper year students who live off campus in comparison to first years...they're the execs in clubs, organizing intramurals, working on campus etc.
Detached as in they don't have as many opportunities to socialize. Of course I'm sure it's still relatively easy to get involved.
Old 03-05-2008 at 10:38 PM   #24
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Detached as in they don't have as many opportunities to socialize. Of course I'm sure it's still relatively easy to get involved.
Well there are still plenty of opporunities to socialize on campus whether you're in rez or off-campus. I'm off-campus right now, and I've not had a problem socializing.

There's clubs to get involved with, people in your classes and tutorials, plenty of events on campus run by MSU Campus Events and student groups, people you meet over Facebook, Quarters Bar nights on Thursday and Saturdays, and of course... anything to do with MacInsiders

Also, MacConnector, which takes place during Welcome Week is open to everyone including off-campus students and is great to meet people and socialize. Plus each faculty has a 'Faculty Society', so you can meet people in your faculty and go hang out in their faculty society office.
Old 03-05-2008 at 10:39 PM   #25
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpony View Post

oh and what res buildings would you say are better?
Be sure to check out the MacInsiders Residence Forums and see what people are saying about the residences

http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84
Old 03-06-2008 at 09:35 AM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

As an upper year, I've actually found it a lot easier to socialize...I've been involved in stuff on campus, so I've met tons of people over the years.

Old 03-10-2008 at 10:38 PM   #27
Slania

Got mine about a week ago

From the looks of it I like the Edwards Hall residence but we'll have to see what I get, right? D:
Old 03-13-2008 at 12:59 AM   #28
Slania

So much for that...no residence guarantee for me XD
Old 03-16-2008 at 07:49 PM   #29
mak at mac

Liked: 0 Times

hey pplz
my buddy and i created a group on facebook called McMaster 2012
i invite all the people here to join
heres da link
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5 3435&ref=mf