MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-05-2012 at 07:30 PM   #1
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Everything Is A Remix
This series had been a long time in making, and the last episode was released quite a while now, but I still thought it would be good to post it for those who hadn't seen it.

I don't think a description or summary of what the videos are about is appropriate, as what needs to be said needs to be heard in its entirety, but I guess something is necessary to pique interest.

It's an incredibly well made (both technically, and content-wise) four-part series on how almost everything we conceive and create—both material and ideas—are, by necessity, unoriginal. We need to build upon what others have created in order to advance, and, whether consciously or unconsciously, it's unavoidable. Kirby Ferguson's well-paced and effective delivery, as well as fantastic sound and graphic design, makes for a solid, informative, and (in my opinion) addicting learning session.

If you feel like this isn't your thing, or you aren't that interested in it, I urge you to at least watch Part 3: The Elements of Creativity, and Part 4: System Failure. I'm quite sure they'll keep your interest, and they seem to be relevant today more than ever.

It'd be nice to hear your guys' thoughts and opinions on the matter.

The episode list on the series' (now dormant) blog. Visit everythingisaremix.in fo for pretty much everything about the series, including thoroughly documented references and transcripts, as well as the video and audio samples used. And there's @remixeverything, Kirby's Twitter, where you can follow updates on his next series, This Is Not A Conspiracy Theory. Also, if you're interested, he did (and still does) quite a few TED Talks. Google.

Last edited by Yogurt : 07-05-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2012 at 08:11 PM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Well no shit everything builds off of previous ideas. How do you think we got laptops or cellphones? people said, hmm i like computers and landlines, but i wish they were portable. its common sense that everything stems from previous ideas, and without that, technology would have not advanced to the stage it is at today. Every invention comes from taking a current idea and solving a problem that it faces.
Old 07-05-2012 at 08:17 PM   #3
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Well no shit everything builds off of previous ideas. How do you think we got laptops or cellphones? people said, hmm i like computers and landlines, but i wish they were portable. its common sense that everything stems from previous ideas, and without that, technology would have not advanced to the stage it is at today. Every invention comes from taking a current idea and solving a problem that it faces.
Which is exactly why I didn't want to put a summary. Did you even watch any of the videos?
Old 07-05-2012 at 10:14 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Good ideas, too short though.