MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I really need a macpass? vjonica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-28-2010 08:41 PM
Macpass Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-16-2010 01:48 PM
Macpass cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-16-2010 08:55 AM
Last day for MacPass? lampk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-18-2008 07:22 PM

What EXACTLY is in a MacPass?

Old 07-06-2010 at 09:58 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

What EXACTLY is in a MacPass?
Hi guys,

I went to the summer orientation on the 5th (yesterday...!!! lol) and there was this blue sheet about macpasses...

can someone tell me what exactly is in them? or does it vary from year to year?

i'd really like to know because $125 is a lot for me. haha. if i get it, i don't want to be disappointed

EDIT//
Argh. I'm confused. So when you buy the macpass thing...you're automatically in SOCS? i'm confused...so u have to pay to join school clubs? O_O; ermmm i heard that to join SOCS was like 5 bucks though

thanks~!

Last edited by Desda : 07-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:02 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
Hi guys,

I went to the summer orientation on the 5th (yesterday...!!! lol) and there was this blue sheet about macpasses...

can someone tell me what exactly is in them? or does it vary from year to year?

i'd really like to know because $125 is a lot for me. haha. if i get it, i don't want to be disappointed

thanks~!
Its essentially a pass to participate in all of the Welcome Week Activities (i.e. concert, bed race, football game, free swag, etc).
Honestly, I only thought it was good for being able to attend the concert, but then even people without a pass were able to attend :/
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:08 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Its essentially a pass to participate in all of the Welcome Week Activities (i.e. concert, bed race, football game, free swag, etc).
Honestly, I only thought it was good for being able to attend the concert, but then even people without a pass were able to attend :/
lol pretty much.

Old 07-06-2010 at 10:12 PM   #4
Desda
Elite Member

so it's only to attend events? i was under the impression that you got towels and mugs and stuff...so it's literally just a pass? XD
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:12 PM   #5
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

When do you have to buy it by? And like Deegs said, can you do things without having one...?
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:16 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
so it's only to attend events? i was under the impression that you got towels and mugs and stuff...so it's literally just a pass? XD
You get a laundry bag. 2 t-shirts (faculty and res). Usually a waterbottle. Then some other junk I can't remember.

Quote:
And like Deegs said, can you do things without having one...?

You can definitely do things without one. Every year people say "oh, we're definitely checking" but nothing ever happens and people end up sneaking in anyways. There might be one concert that requires a macpass, but it's usually not worth it (a band you can see for <$20-30 at a more intimate venue).

Old 07-06-2010 at 10:24 PM   #7
shes-a-diva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
You get a laundry bag. 2 t-shirts (faculty and res). Usually a waterbottle. Then some other junk I can't remember.

You can definitely do things without one. Every year people say "oh, we're definitely checking" but nothing ever happens and people end up sneaking in anyways. There might be one concert that requires a macpass, but it's usually not worth it (a band you can see for <$20-30 at a more intimate venue).
[/color][/color]

I'll be a first year transfer student and I haven't gone to any intro sessions so I have no idea really of anything hahah... I guess I still have time to decide if I want to buy one... I can't seem to justify spending that kind of money when I could always go to a bar instead and have just as much fun haha... Oh well guess its time to start investigating!
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:32 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
I'll be a first year transfer student and I haven't gone to any intro sessions so I have no idea really of anything hahah... I guess I still have time to decide if I want to buy one... I can't seem to justify spending that kind of money when I could always go to a bar instead and have just as much fun haha... Oh well guess its time to start investigating!
For us, they definitely checked if you had a macpass. I think last year they were a bit less stringent because they ran out, so tons of people couldn't get one. I think it's worth it, if only so you can participate fully in WW without having to worry about whether or not you could get into certain activities--most of them required a macpass. And then there's the t-shirts When EVERYONE is wearing them but you, you feel kind of left out lol.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:34 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Actually this year if you're off campus you don't get a membership to SOCS with your MacPass. That probably shouldn't be the thing that makes or breaks your decision to buy it or not though, because as you pointed out a membership to SOCS is already really cheap.

Getting a membership to SOCS is something you should definitely look into though. Its a bit more expensive than $5, but you get a ton of discounts and access to some awesome events.
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:39 PM   #10
shes-a-diva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
For us, they definitely checked if you had a macpass. I think last year they were a bit less stringent because they ran out, so tons of people couldn't get one. I think it's worth it, if only so you can participate fully in WW without having to worry about whether or not you could get into certain activities--most of them required a macpass. And then there's the t-shirts When EVERYONE is wearing them but you, you feel kind of left out lol.

What kind of activities are we talking about? lol Anything worth while.... And WW is the week before school starts isnt it?
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:49 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I don't remember what activities require the macpass--I didn't pay any attention to it lol. But, I think it's all worthwhile. For example, one of the things we did was indoor soccer against another res. I HATE HATE HATE soccer, but I went anyways, and met someone who became one of my best friends. So, even though I hate soccer, it was definitely worth going! I'd hate to have missed out on anything from WW...I figured, you only get to be a first-year going to uni for the first time once, so might as well get the most out of it!

shes-a-diva* says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 07-06-2010 at 11:03 PM   #12
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times

buy a macpass. welcome week is so much fun. go to everything. I loved it so much i became a rep so i could pass on the good time that i had.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to cocchiarella for this post.
Old 07-07-2010 at 12:10 AM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

u get a faculty and res shirt...so what if ur off campus? lol so do u only get one shirt? :/// ehhh couldn't i just buy the shirt in the bookstore? the pass is essentially just for the events but i heard there are a lot of events for free???
Old 07-07-2010 at 03:28 AM   #14
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

If you're off campus then you get a SOCS tshirt. These aren't tshirts you can buy in the bookstore. They're only available to people who buy macpasses or if they have extras you can purchase them during welcome week but after that you can't buy them anymore.