MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
TEDx is coming to McMaster! TEDxMcMasterU MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-13-2010 05:57 PM
Alan Cross from 102.1 The EDGE coming to McMaster! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-25-2009 09:41 AM
Elizabeth May Coming To McMaster Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-02-2009 05:37 PM
McMaster Idol Coming This Wednesday Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-10-2008 07:39 PM
30th McMaster World Congress is coming! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-11-2008 02:57 PM

Exciting New Changes Coming To The McMaster Libraries

Exciting New Changes Coming To The McMaster Libraries

OPINION - By CHAD FULLERTON, MACINSIDERS

The new Far Coast café-style shop in Thode
When you arrive on campus in September there are going to be some exciting changes happening in the libraries, especially in THODE. We've touched on a few of the items before, but there's so much going on that I wanted to recap as well as give some extra attention to what the Libraries have been working on, because not only are there a lot of changes, but I think the Libraries are really heading in a great direction that is providing students with more of what they are looking for. Bringing in high-end technologies and making the libraries a more comfortable and collaborative environment for students.

1. Giving Choice Is Good.
First off, as you all should be aware by now, the Libraries Are Going Apple (Thode and Mills). This is a big change because it is opening the doors for students to have open access to using Apple products as well as getting students familiarized with the OSX operating system, giving you a choice in an environment where Windows was once the only option. Whether we'll see students using the Mac environment more than Windows is yet to be seen (you'll have the choice of choosing Mac or Windows when you turn on the computers), as I find most students in the library just want to surf the Internet or print out a Word document (something you can easily do just with Windows). However, it does leave room in the future to expand and allow students to utilize Mac's more. If you ask students randomly on campus whether they know how to use a Mac my guess is that most wouldn't know how. This will hopefully give students a chance to learn Mac, since some careers and jobs require knowledge of the Mac environment.

The Libraries are clearly investing a lot in this initiative. With twelve 30" Mac Pros going into Thode, that alone is quite a feat. Being in the Multimedia Program at McMaster, I don't even think I've seen twelve Mac Pros in one room together. Adding to this, 104 iMacs and a handful of MacBooks are also being distributed in the libraries for our use is really nice and I think really raises the bar on how modern our libraries are going to be.

2. Bringing More Collaborative Space
If you've spoken to a McMaster Librarian lately, you will know that the libraries at McMaster are trying to shed the "shh! this is a library!" stereotype and are making changes to have more collaborative and open spaces to foster a friendly and comfortable working environment. It started with the new Mills Learning Commons replacing the old McLay Reading Room, followed by exciting new renovations in the Health Sciences Library (including the nice glass addition), and now the new Thode Renovations are taking things a step further. It's great to see the Libraries becoming the new place to go and work, epecially on projects that are group-based. With new group study areas, however, does come concern about silent study areas getting smaller. I've been told silent study has not been forgotten and there will still be silent study areas still available in all libraries such as MILLS 1st, 3rd, and 4th floors (see full list here), THODE 3rd floor (see more), INNIS silent study room (see more), and the carrols in the Health Sci Library.

3. Thode is going to be the new Mills
Mills Library has become a great place for students to hang out, especially the Learning Commons, with it being so central on campus. However, I think the engineers are going to have a hard time keeping people away from the new first floor of Thode once it's ready... even if it means a short walk across campus. If you've been keeping up with the renovation in Thode, you'll probably agree. The first floor has been cleared out and is being replaced by a new learning area similar to the Mills Learning Commons, with new furniture, a cafe, and of course the new iMacs. It's going to look quite outstanding once it's completed in September.

Thode, currently being prepped for new furniture and computers

Seating is being replaced with brand new chairs that are very modern and comfortable. They'll also be sporting a variety of fresh colours:

Thode seating colours

Thode will also house a brand new café-style shop called "Far Coast" that is going to really add to the collaborative and relaxed atmosphere on the first floor. According to the renovation blog, the shop will offer "premium fair trade coffee the cafe will serve panini sandwiches, hot soup, and gourmet grab ‘n go items". Sounds delicious!

A mock of what the new Far Coast location will look like on the first floor of Thode.

Room Booking Online
Need to book a study room in the library? MILLS, INNIS, and THODE run on a great new room booking system that allows you to quickly and easily. Simply choose a library, pick a room, pick a time, and you're ready to go. Click here to check it out.

5. First Year Experience Wiki
An initiative started last year that we were informed about by Krista Godfrey is available to First Year students called the First Year Experience Wiki. You can get a good overview of Library basics and also read up on news and events through the wiki. Wiki's are a great way to share information, and the McMaster Libraries have embraced the concept, which is great.

6. New Library website coming
Launching soon will be a brand new Library website that will be well organized (quick access to reading latest library updates and news) and will follow the new McMaster branding. Watch out for it! (http://library.mcmaster.ca)
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-27-2008 at 11:54 AM   #2
mitch
Elite Member
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 75 Times
Oooh exciting! Yay for online booking! Did you know that Mills got the award for best library in North America last year? :o I think the award was shared though.
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=5258#
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-27-2008 at 01:21 PM   #3
MacEng
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: nuts swinging, swinging my nuts

Liked: 125 Times
Mac is becoming such a good choice for me as an engineer!

First the announcement if the new engineering building!

Then the renovation of the engineering and science library!

woot!

However, I think the engineers are going to have a hard time keeping people away from the new first floor of Thode once it's ready

Hmm.. Lets look at the bright side... at least it won't be a sausage fest

Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search