MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What's up with girls posting "I like it on the..." statuses on facebook? Souldier General Discussion 133 10-13-2010 12:52 AM
"Twlv Eghty" on Facebook Kathy2 General Discussion 10 10-08-2009 03:39 PM

Facebook Launches "Timeline"

Facebook has just today launched a beta of a new feature they are calling "Timeline" which will eventually replace the need for your profile. If you want to see how it works, learn more about it here.

Facebook is trying to essentially create a 'scrapbook' of your experiences on Facebook. But is Facebook really the 'story of your life'? Do you put everything on Facebook, enough to create a timeline of your life events? What are your thoughts on this?

Here are some opinions: negative, more negative, positive, and some more. Reply with your thoughts!

--

P.S. It's not supposed to be launching officially until Sept 29th, but you can follow some sneaky steps to get access to it now by following this.

Entropy likes this.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-22-2011 at 07:48 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 878 Times
I just followed the instructions and enabled it. It's pretty trippy so far.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-22-2011 at 08:08 PM   #3
eccentrikkk
Year: Second

Liked: 8 Times
I really don't like this concept at all. I really don't like how Facebook is constantly changing its features and settings. I really liked how at one time the things I had posted on Facebook didn't officially "belong" to Facebook. I think Facebook was a great idea and can see how now it's being more heavily relied upon by people, however I will personally go on a mass deleting spree as soon as any more changes to Facebook happen. I find it really creepy that now you get live updates in real time of what everyone is posting - as if the homepage feature wasn't good enough? Our privacy has become so greatly compromised by Facebook it should be illegal. Thank god I changed my privacy settings before Facebook originally started making changes to its layout/features/settings. I have no clue as to how I would go about doing that now, especially since some of the settings are so intricate and complex in nature to figure out.

F#^% Facebook.

icecubz, SyrianFiona like this.
Old 09-22-2011 at 09:11 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth

Liked: 461 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
I really don't like this concept at all. I really don't like how Facebook is constantly changing its features and settings. I really liked how at one time the things I had posted on Facebook didn't officially "belong" to Facebook. I think Facebook was a great idea and can see how now it's being more heavily relied upon by people, however I will personally go on a mass deleting spree as soon as any more changes to Facebook happen. I find it really creepy that now you get live updates in real time of what everyone is posting - as if the homepage feature wasn't good enough? Our privacy has become so greatly compromised by Facebook it should be illegal. Thank god I changed my privacy settings before Facebook originally started making changes to its layout/features/settings. I have no clue as to how I would go about doing that now, especially since some of the settings are so intricate and complex in nature to figure out.

F#^% Facebook.
Even if you 'go on a mass deleting spree', FaceBook still has all of your info, and photos/videos.

Old 09-22-2011 at 09:58 PM   #5
wintermelon
Faculty: None
Year: First

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentrikkk View Post
Our privacy has become so greatly compromised by Facebook it should be illegal.
Which is why I don't put information on Facebook that I wouldn't mind being public in the first place.

RememberTwce, Snowman like this.
Old 09-22-2011 at 10:09 PM   #6
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Which is why I don't put information on Facebook that I wouldn't mind being public in the first place.
I never understand why people put such private stuff on facebook anyways. Even if it wasn't being stored, it's still on the internet where all the people you've added can see.

All they have from me is my name, education, some of my favorite tv shows/movies and a few other things that I wouldn't mind giving out anyways.
Old 09-22-2011 at 10:17 PM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Management
Year: Fifth

Liked: 180 Times
I also found that when a lot of people first got facebook (myself included) that everyone went to add as many "friends" as they could. Now I know im deleting more and more since i dont want people i dont talk to to know everything about my life.

Also, if you think their privacy is bad, Never add any apps. A couple I added years ago now have access to birthdays, friend list, and everything after a facebook change in privacy. Some of these were just quizes....

Last edited by Snowman : 09-25-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Afzal, SyrianFiona like this.
Old 09-23-2011 at 07:41 AM   #8
enarab
Program: Computer Science
Year: First

Liked: 22 Times
Facebook is going to change drastically in the next couple of months...I think we should all be prepared for the annoying statuses coming our way.

Afzal, Desda, gmoney, lt93, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 09-23-2011 at 12:16 PM   #9
eccentrikkk
Year: Second

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Even if you 'go on a mass deleting spree', FaceBook still has all of your info, and photos/videos.

Which is why I barely use Facebook other than to share photos. Photos that I don't have the time to take and constantly upload to their website. Facebook's only purpose in my life is to keep in touch with friends I have internationally that I have no other way of contacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post

Who said I put information on Facebook that I don't want to share? I wouldn't even go as far as using my real name, or putting my school, or city I reside in on Facebook. To say the least, Facebook is a way to gain into the personal lives of people unknowingly.

SyrianFiona likes this.
Old 09-27-2011 at 09:01 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
/Never been on FB. probably never will be.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search